Scratch on motherboard tracelines

I was just attempting to remove a broken screw from a motherboard that I've just bought, thinking that it might be cheaper than trying to replace the part, and appear to have scratched the motherboard in the process, when the tool slipped.

A few of the tracelines on the board seem to have been scratched. I'm not entirely sure how to tell if it's actaully been damaged significantly or not. And seeing as this is going directly into the CPU, I'm not sure if booting up would be safe (plus I'm still waiting on a number of parts, so I can't actually boot it up yet anyway).

I don't think that it looks too deep, but... I'm not sure.

DSC_0425.JPG

Does this look like any significant damage has been done? And if so, is this repairable?

<Title edited>

While I can understand your frustration, stringing a load of f's at the beginning of the topic title seems unnecessary.

No it's not repairable but you can buy a new motherboard, same kind/brand if your current board isn't working.

Easier said than done, when we're talking about server hardware. It's not exactly cheap.

<Title edited>

While I can understand your frustration, stringing a load of f's at the beginning of the topic title seems unnecessary.

Oops, sorry, didn't realise I'd done that...

Looks fine, and if not, it's totally repairable.

I hope so! And ah good, it is? Is this a repair that I can do myself, or is this something that I'd need to send it off for?

Easier said than done, when we're talking about server hardware. It's not exactly cheap.

Oops, sorry, didn't realise I'd done that...

I hope so! And ah good, it is? Is this a repair that I can do myself, or is this something that I'd need to send it off for?

I meant tracelines, you can not repair the tracelines.

Your board is fine... just only scratches....  if your PC isn't working, you can get a replacement board, simple.

It's pretty tricky if you have never done it before. You'd need a decent soldering iron, with a very fine tip, and a fair amount of practice, or at least be pretty skilful with stuff like this, say model making for instance.

I'd mask off the surrounding area with tape (I like using scotch tape), then drag a scalpel backwards along the trace to expose it fully.

Add some flux and a dab of solder, and you should be golden.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to cover it with some of this stuff afterwards... http://www.amazon.co.uk/10mm-100ft-Temperature-Resistant-polyimide/dp/B00BT9TG0Q/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

I am an electronics engineer, and it seems that you have only scratched the solder mask. You have not damaged the actual copper trace, so go ahead and boot up. 99% it will boot up with no problems. If the scratch is too deep then that would be a problem but in anyway it is completely safe to boot.

@Fib3r you cannot really apply solder and expect it to work on that trace because it is impedance matched and adding solder to it will change the electrical length of the trace and also change the impedance which can cause malfunctioning.

@Fib3r you cannot really apply solder and expect it to work on that trace because it is impedance matched and adding solder to it will change the electrical length of the trace and also change the impedance which can cause malfunctioning.

My experience with modifying games consoles leads me to believe otherwise.

You're fine, can't see any breaks past the protective layer. If there is (or for future reference), have a google for PCB repair paint or a kit.

I wouldn't try to solder anything that small & close together (motherboard traces) unless you spend your free time producing Faberg

It's fine.  It looks like you barely hindered the conformal coating.  To do damage, you would have had to cut through the entire trace, which I'm pretty sure you didn't. Even if you did, you could touch it up with a dot of solder and it would be fine.