Intel: XP users causing weak sales

I'd really like to know what's the exact source of this. I know of no business who hasn't begun deployment of Windows 7 based systems at the corporate level.

I hardly trust ZDNet anymore outside Ed Bott to deliver valid Microsoft news.

As I previously said , old fashion users own the world . :woot: 

Why change something that works and spend unnecessary money on new hardware when the old is still quite functional?

We've upgraded as many of our machines as we can (to Windows 7, not 8), but the fact remains that we have lots of devices which don't have drivers which work with anything beyond XP. There's more than the cost of the license/computer to consider. There's replacement devices, accessories/consumables for those devices, setup costs, costs incurred through lack of use during switchover downtime, staff re-training costs, etc. There's a lot of costs involved - which forces us to stick with XP on some machines.

That right there is all that really needs to said, period!

As far as regular, Joe Blow user goes, why fix it if it isn't broke?!

• Like 1

Some businesses run versions of software or code that wont run on anything but XP unless it rewritten at great expense for no gain in performance

Why?  We don't make it illegal to drive classic cars even though they don't have air bags, crumple zones, etc.  If somebody wants to run Windows XP, that's on them.  Who are you, or anybody else for that matter, to tell people what OS to run on their computer?

The lack of air bags, crumple zones, etc. don't put others at risk. But would you drive a car with bad brakes? XP is like bad brakes. It puts others at risk due to all the spam and DDoS attacks that originate from infected XP machines.

Yep, a lot of people really have no desire to change, even after I highly suggest it. I think part of the reason is they are just terrified at the thought of getting windows 8.

While the new operating systems are safer than XP, the consumer is clueless when it comes to security and Zero day vulnerabilities.

Just the other day a customer brought in her Windows 7 laptop after she factory reset it trying to get her wifi to work. The reset put the laptop back to Windows 7 pre Service pack 1. She would have had ZERO hesitation jumping straight on the internet without doing any updates.

What i've found is that it makes no difference if I patch a fresh system till i'm blue in the face, install AV/EMET and instruct them not to install JAVA because I still get that system back in a few weeks/months absolutely decimated with malware/adware. Same ###### everytime. Toolbars, junk programs piggybacked on installers, Fake AV scanners, etc. Do I still fully patch a system before giving it back, hell yes. Does it actually help me or the user in real life, doesn't look like it.

What I need Microsoft to do is design UAC so it will remote throw the authorization prompt to my phone/PC so I can make the decision for these people. They cannot be trusted. They also need to integrate IM functionality so I can send back a message. This message can be hard coded. It will never change. The message is "No Stupid!".

my work places has issues with its xp embedded systems. 

cant image the horrors if they upgrade to newer version.

our system used to dos software and about 4 years ago they switch to windows xp. but upgraded only the embedded system that relay information

and we have at lest 4 xp embedded systems that randomly reboot because they ran out of virtual memory. 

if wasnt for the fact we have two other systems that show the information. our work flow would completely shut down.

they would have to upgrade the hardware to run newer versions of windows.

but it takes years to approve anything.

sometimes I accidentally rip the cable loose that connected to a switch board. and it took 2 weeks to fix the cable..

We've upgraded as many of our machines as we can (to Windows 7, not 8), but the fact remains that we have lots of devices which don't have drivers which work with anything beyond XP. There's more than the cost of the license/computer to consider. There's replacement devices, accessories/consumables for those devices, setup costs, costs incurred through lack of use during switchover downtime, staff re-training costs, etc. There's a lot of costs involved - which forces us to stick with XP on some machines.

There is no good excuse for any company still being on XP. Not one.

While there are a few cases where ancient machines just cannot be upgraded, many here speak as if all users - CEOs, Betty The Secretary, etc are still on XP, which simply isn't the case. Your boss is running Windows 7, and if they're not, they're not doing their job well.

Apart from cost,time constraints,lack of software/hardware support and lack of money you mean :D

• Like 2

Apart from cost,time constraints,lack of software/hardware support and lack of money you mean :D

"Lack of money" is such {CENSORED}. It's been 8 years since Windows Vista SP2, and it's been freakin 5 years since Windows 7 was released. What the hell are you doing in 5-7 years that you cannot upgrade in that time?

The lack of air bags, crumple zones, etc. don't put others at risk. But would you drive a car with bad brakes? XP is like bad brakes. It puts others at risk due to all the spam and DDoS attacks that originate from infected XP machines.

That's complete crap. I've been repairing computers for years and I've seen just as many badly infected Vista and Windows 7 computers as I have XP computers, if people are dumb enough to get viruses they will get them on almost any computer or OS, and if they're smart they will still manage to keep XP virus free.

• Like 4

I totally appreciate that many skipped Vista and i understand that more recently, people are uncomfortable with Windows 8 but it's beyond me why some didn't choose to jump to Windows 7 because it's somewhat familiar, has a great reputation and runs well on relatively low-end hardware (as in former XP workstations) providing they have enough ram and a semi-decent cpu.

Perhaps Windows 10 will get some to make the jump :/

Windows XP is actually much better patched that consumer windows 7 will be, that is of course assuming companies are paying for the dedicated extended XP support.

Suddenly not feeling as smug?

At $200 per PC per year, those companies must really love Windows XP.

At $200 per PC per year, those companies must really love Windows XP.

Isn't the price going up soon, too?

"Lack of money" is such {CENSORED}. It's been 8 years since Windows Vista SP2, and it's been freakin 5 years since Windows 7 was released. What the hell are you doing in 5-7 years that you cannot upgrade in that time?

That is a little unfair dude, the corporations don't upgrade due to the possibility of not having a stable system, or other related problems, xp may be a devil that needs to burn in hell, but it's a capable workhorse, and upgrading costs corporations, therein lies the problen, not the guy using it, an employee is forced to use the tools provided, look at those automated checkout machines popping up in superstores, and some atm machines, I've seen them boot up, and I've yet to see one that doesn't boot up some sort of enterprise or workstation version of xp.

I'd thing the 'lack of money' is more likely the 'lack of willingness to spend money' by giant corporations due to it eating into their profits

Also with this trend of a new windows version every other year, how hard will it be for corporations to keep up, have relevant programs available and compatible, also drivers etc...

Don't tell the medical sector that.  I currently have:

- Toshiba CT scanner which runs Windows 2K

- SwissRay DR room which runs XP

- GE Ultrasound machine which has an XP core

- Two GE rad rooms whose fluoro units are controlled by XP

Not one of these units can be upgraded to Windows 7 per their respective manufacture.  I'm having to replace all of these machines due to AFMOA mandating no XP units by 2016.  Even if it they are not on the network (like the two GE rad rooms)...they still have to be 1) upgraded or 2) replaced.

Mind you, these are perfectly fine machines with low maintenance, they produce diagnostic quality images and are fairly new (not one is older than 10 years).  However, I'm having to replace them at a cost of just under $2 million.  That is just at my small little department, such an insignificant slice of the pie...this mandate is going to be ridiculously expensive throughout the medical enterprise.

Point being, if I was in the civilian sector there is no way I would be replacing these units just because of the operating systems.  They would only be replaced when I needed additional capabilities/features or if they became unreliable.  So yea, some companies have a particularly good reason to not update.

• Like 5

Why change something that works and spend unnecessary money on new hardware when the old is still quite functional?

It's my life motto , I'm glad we share the same opinion .

Because trolls manipulate fonts on internet forums, if this isn't you, then the default font should be more than adequate for your posting needs

I didn't know it ... thanks again .

That is a little unfair dude, the corporations don't upgrade due to the possibility of not having a stable system, or other related problems, xp may be a devil that needs to burn in hell, but it's a capable workhorse

Except it's not. Productivity is almost non existent on XP, and is a relic of last decade.

• Like 1

Except it's not. Productivity is almost non existent on XP

dean-what-gif.gif

Productivity is not non existent on XP ... I don't know what you are smoking ... Old yes, unproductive, no.

Productivity is not non existent on XP ... I don't know what you are smoking

How is anyone working on an OS, where it takes twice as long to do anything as it would on Windows 7 or Windows 8? I HATE remoting into an XP, and not finding where I need to go because it's buried in pop up box after pop up box, and there's no search. Don't even get me started on window management.

Windows XP only ever did one thing well, and that's this:

HowtoTroubleshootMSWindowsXPErrorCodesSc

and:

Stop%2BWindows%2BError%2BBlue%2BScreen.j

How is anyone working on an OS, where it takes twice as long to do anything as it would on Windows 7 or Windows 8? I HATE remoting into an XP, and not finding where I need to go because it's buried in pop up box after pop up box, and there's no search. Don't even get me started on window management.

Windows XP only ever did one thing well, and that's this:

HowtoTroubleshootMSWindowsXPErrorCodesSc

Those are you're personal issues, not everyone elses. I remotely connect in and Help customer fix their XP machines all the time and frankly I find it easier to find stuff on XP than windows 8.

So what you are saying is you really don't know where anything is at, you just search for everything.

• Like 3

Those are you're personal issues, not everyone elses. I remotely connect in and Help customer fix their XP machines all the time and frankly I find it easier to find stuff on XP than windows 8.

Maybe because you've used it more often ... 

I don't ...