I think my Windows 7 installation has a bad virus...

Just after christmas, I built the computer i am using today. Its got the specs that an early 10's gaming computer would have. But not the best gaming specs. Anyway, Before i talk about the virus portion. I will include my specs. This is the second time i tried to post this because the first time, A virus result shut down the hard drive. But left the computer on. A simple pushing of the Restart button. (Yeah, I have one of those on my tower) Booted the hard drive back up. I know it ain't one of the mechs though. Because i had it checked by my Brother Sidney, whom pretty much knows everything there is to know about problems like this.

SPECIFICATIONS

AMD Phenom(tim) II Tri-core (With fourth core unlocked. Lets pretend it's a Quad) Black edition 75 Processor, Running at 3.00 GHZ.

8.00 GB of Installed RAM (All is usable)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition

500 GB Hitachi Hard drive

Service pack 1 is also installed for Windows 7.

Also, The virus protection diddn't take anything. The computer was all perfect until Friday morning, When my brother Cody watched Naruto Shippuden or whatever the hell that show is, Until right after, It started going all to hell. First problem i noticed was something corrupted the Windows 7 Boot screen. So that got replaced by the ugly VISTA loading bar. And every now and then, my computer just keeps shutting off. Twice when i was playing a game, Once when i was watching a video, and the other one while i was making this post. So i don't know what the hell is wrong! My brother sidney thinks it's a virus. And i'm pretty sure he's right. He always is.

~Ben, I hope someone could see what i could do with this soon. It's getting more straightforward to pissing me off.

Do you have targetted antivisus/spyware/malware removal?

At the very least, malware bytes and kaspersky rootkit removal tool shouod get you started, (there are more informed members than me here who can point you to better software)

How many drives does the pc have? I noticed you mentioned 1 500gb drive, As balanced power mode and power saving mode 'shuts down' or 'parks' drives not in use, I am unsure that a virus would shut the rig down, I've always thought viruses just eat up cycles and bog down a system, but I may be wrong.

Is anything overheating, or clocked incorrectly? Specifically, the CPU?

And if your brother knows about this, I do find myself asking, why are you spending time asking here, and not giving the rig to your brother, who could probably save you a lot of time, specially as you could bypass the waiting time you'd have waiting for responses here...

I mean this humbly, as it would seem logical to let him troubleshoot and see if is successful in fixing it.

• Like 2

you check the graphics card and hard drive?, maybe it's a hardware problem.  

also in the run dialog type type msconfig, go to startup and see if anything unusual is there

you can also check the status of the network connection and see if there is a lot of data being sent

• Like 1

As for the Windows Vista boot animation, that happens whenever the boot sector gets a little flaky - usually its easy to get back to the way it should be.

First thing I thought of in your post
1.)  If your brother knows so much, and is rarely wrong - why are you in here ?
2.)  If your brother thinks its a virus, why is it still infected ?
3.)  What makes your brother think its a virus ?  You havent said anything that screams virus yet.
4.) What A/V were you using ?
5.) Can you pull the drive and scan it from another computer to see if it is infected (as opposed to running something from within windows.
6.) Hopefully, if you "thought" it was infected - the 1st step was to run malwarebytes or similar on it AND NOT YOUR AV software.
7.) Dont ever assume anything - test your theory

8.) 1-7 should suffice
42.) There is your answer. ;)

If its "just shutting off" you need to look @ the error logs and see what is causing it.
But if you think its infected, run mbam or hitman pro,

Judging from your build specs, Im sure you were using some free AV...which one ?  And if it is the point of failure - you might want to think about
1.) Not letting your know it all brother on the computer
    A.) If it happens when hes on it - he fixes it - right then and there
2.) Getting a better AV
3.) ... I dunno what else to type other than refer to 42.

500GB Hitachi - LOL   If that isnt your problem - it will be.

UPDATE: Check my most recent post. I'm still having freezing issues and stopping issues and shut off issues. Even with a new, custom install of Windows 10 build 9926. It's not a virus anymore.