Microsoft is killing off the Internet Explorer brand

Microsoft is killing off the Internet Explorer brand

IE will live on, but only as plumbing for Windows

Don't miss stories follow The Verge

While Microsoft has dropped hints that the Internet Explorer brand is going away, the software maker has now confirmed that it will use a new name for its upcoming browser successor, codenamed Project Spartan. Speaking at Microsoft Convergence yesterday, Microsoft's marketing chief Chris Capossela revealed that the company is currently working on a new name and brand. "We

Hopefully its as good or better than IE.

Internet Explorer is awesome at blocking ads, is super fast, and very minimalistic.

I just hope Spartan isn't like Firefox and Chrome, and the other bloated browsers that are slow and need so many plugins to remove ads and stuff.

While it may not have been the best, Internet Explorer was a great browser. I am sad to see the brand discontinued. I am certain that negative perception was a major contributing factor.

• Like 1

Thank god. It isn't like they have anything to lose... name recognition probably hurts them far more than helps them. Both Firefox and Chrome succeeded... and we aren't in the 90s anymore, names like "Navigator" and "Explorer" (and "Safari", but we're lucky that isn't named iBrowser) aren't very relevant.

The name just needs to stand out, it doesn't have to mean anything

Hopefully its as good or better than IE.

Internet Explorer is awesome at blocking ads, is super fast, and very minimalistic.

I just hope Spartan isn't like Firefox and Chrome, and the other bloated browsers that are slow and need so many plugins to remove ads and stuff.

It'll probably be better than IE at least. Though I'm not too sure if it'll beat the other browsers.

Also, I disagree with you on ad blocking in IE, as it feels nasty since the add-on system in IE seems really clunky compared to Firefox.

Microsoft Browser NXG 225X Home premium with extensions service pack 2 with platform update 2

I must be the only one who thinks that the Spartan name is terrible.

Nope I do as well. doesn't fit with other MS names and seems a little too teenage-ish.

Nope I do as well. doesn't fit with other MS names and seems a little too teenage-ish.

Well then good thing Project Spartan is the codename..

• Like 1

Well if following the halo, spartan follows cortana. Could also end up being master chief...That would be a bad name.

I really hate to use strong words here but I think this proves - to me anyways - that people are easily brainwashed.  I am saying this based on the logic that you recompile IE but change the browser name to Microsoft and then people use that instead of the IE in question.