Survey by Microsoft asking input on icons...

I got in.

How? A specific set of answers? because it is "the group you qualify for".

I very much prefer the new icons to the current ones, but I agree with ians18 that the icons in 9901 were better.

Some might be slight improvement over what I've seen in leaked builds but still really, really bad. Reminds me of some Minecraft-inspired OS. Terrible, terrible job. Sucks that survey thingy is full now so I couldn't join to tell them how much I hate most of these...

I can't believe that so many people are concerned about something so petty as the operating system icons. What about the functionality (or lack thereof)?

Icons are very simple, they should look good and represent what function it is doing, not stick out like a sore thumb.

Icons are very simple, they should look good and represent what function it is doing, not stick out like a sore thumb.t

I believe that "looking good" is largely a subjective aspect of an interface (For example, I think Windows Vista is gorgeous, not everyone does). The previous icons (including the Recycle Bin icon) were derided as being ugly, et certera, and yet most of them perfectly represented what function the icon was doing. The Recycle Bin icon represented that it was the receptacle for trash (i.e., deleted files).

My issue is that the majority of complaints seems to be about icons. It is absolutely ridiculous! Since when should icons take priority over functionality? I am sure that there is at least one complaint about icons in each topic about Windows 10 that has been created within the past week. If users are not complaining about the icons, then they're complaining about the lack of translucency, the lack of animations, or that there should be a "beautiful boot screen." I am all for nice things, but I feel that users should focus on things that are objectively important. For example, will touch-based users be forced to use this pitiful "All Apps" view confined to 100px in the final release?

129967_900.jpg

Or will they get to use one that utilizes available screen estate?

post-483058-0-06910500-1426197661.png

Feedback supposedly helps to influence Microsoft's decisions, which is why users should "spend their time" focusing on the important things.

• Like 1

I believe that "looking good" is largely a subjective aspect of an interface (For example, I think Windows Vista is gorgeous, not everyone does). The previous icons (including the Recycle Bin icon) were derided as being ugly, et certera, and yet most of them perfectly represented what function the icon was doing. The Recycle Bin icon represented that it was the receptacle for trash (i.e., deleted files).

My issue is that the majority of complaints seems to be about icons. It is absolutely ridiculous! Since when should icons take priority over functionality? I am sure that there is at least one complaint about icons in each topic about Windows 10 that has been created within the past week. If users are not complaining about the icons, then they're complaining about the lack of translucency, the lack of animations, or that there should be a "beautiful boot screen." I am all for nice things, but I feel that users should focus on things that are objectively important. For example, will touch-based users be forced to use this pitiful 100px confined "All Apps" view in the final release?

Feedback supposedly helps to influence Microsoft's decisions, which is why users should "spend their time" focusing on the important things.

I agree functionality take priority, but Microsoft has already planned a lot... in the desktop mode, not tablet mode, yet. Icons, if we don't make it a problem then they will never change it. I don't think anyone can dispute that Vista was a beautiful OS, especially the glowing effects and the dark taskbar.

I agree functionality take priority, but Microsoft has already planned a lot... in the desktop mode, not tablet mode, yet.

Doesn't this mostly defeat the purpose of feedback then, if the company ignores the feedback that is not in alignment with its plans? For example, what if there were a request for the Charms Bar that received over 100,000 votes? Would Microsoft ignore this since the feature is being phased out for the notification center?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean.

Icons, if we don't make it a problem then they will never change it.

Well the same can be said about other aspects of the interface, such as the "All Apps" view, which is why I wish that others would focus on it and other things instead of just the icons.

I don't think anyone can dispute that Vista was a beautiful OS, especially the glowing effects and the dark taskbar.

Microsoft itself called the Aero interface "dated and cheesy" back in 2012.

I'm sorry for getting worked up over this, but I worry that we will lose functionality because the majority of complaints seem to be about how the interface looks (instead of how it works) . . . I am hoping to change this before it is too late.

I like the proposed isometric set more than the current set, but I don't dislike the current set, either. If I had my way, we'd see the former, but if the latter ends up shipping, it's fine.

Better yet, include both. Use the latter as the default and just like one can change themes, let the user switch to the former if they prefer.

I'd much rather see flat icons than these 3D icons. They're making the whole UI flat except the icons, it kinda clashes for me. I'd much rather see the icons in the style of the icons in the Ribbon.

Icons are very simple, they should look good and represent what function it is doing, not stick out like a sore thumb.

pleas link iso ? thanks you so much

I still like these better, because they're mostly flat and fit it with the whole design concept of the os better. if they are going to improve the icons, they should take these and improve them, not the 3D ones like posted above.

screen_shot_2015-01-23_at_3.10.02_pm.jpg

These new icons from survey look better..... Compared to previous icons shown off from dev builds. But they are still horrid and do not go with the UI style Microsoft has adopted for Windows 10.

Screw the icons, fix the OS, fix the install/upgrade process, give us actual features, fix the tablet support. it feels at least a year away from completion.

• Like 3

Compared to the icons in the current builds: Great. Compared to the icons in W7/8.x? hideous. I hope this trend for flat UI obsession dies soon, it's regressive and it looks utterly crap.

I wonder if they can't create a theme with W7 look and allow themes to change icons and leave the current Windows 7 icons, i don't see nothing bad on them.

I agree as long as they offered this as a separate download on the Store for example. They could have come up with a way to let designers and developers create their own themes and icons and put them on the Store (and allow them to decide whether to offer them for free). I think it would have been a win-win idea, but I'm afraid it's too late for Windows 10.0. Who knows? Maybe they could do that in a future update of the OS.