Why are Nintendo controllers so painful to use?

Ok now I cant be the only one that finds it painful to use Nintendo controllers. Like since I was a kid their console controllers have always been awkward to hold and when playing it blisters the hands. Don't they (Nintendo) have people that like test use the controllers? There has to be a reason for these non-ergonomic controllers!

As far as hating Sony controllers, hate away, nothing wrong with the controllers when it is taken into account that for like 20 years, the basic design hasn't changed until the introduction of wireless and the touchpad.

Nintendo's controllers, hell every games console manufacturers' controllers are made to 'average' masses, all have haters, it's too big, it's too small, I don't like the trigger etc.

I would recommend taking a few minutes to see if there's a third party manufacturer that makes a controller for your console.

The only Nintendo controllers I thought were any good were the SNES controllers and the Wii U Pro controllers, which feels like a knock-off Xbox 360 controller.

• Like 1

i recall back when i had consoles, and then comparing them to my kids now generation consoles, I still feel the best controller ever was the N64 one.

I was happy with every controller up until the 64's (on both portables and consoles). A rubber coating/layer on the 64's stick would have been nice, as well as motion more like the PlayStation's. I think it used an optical system for tracking (so they should go forever).

I haven't tried any other (Nintendo) device's after that (excluding the original Wii's, which is a different kettle of fish).

blisters on your hands from a controller? i think you might be holding it too hard!

Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Street Fighter 2 Special Championship Edition, Mortal Kombat & Mortal Kombat II via Super Nintendo & Sega Megadrive. Many, many blisters on thumbs.

That being said, only Nintendo controller I've ever really caused me issues was the Gamecube controller. I've had a few blood blisters on my right thumb from getting pinched between the A and outer X or Y buttons whilst playing MGS Twin Snakes.

NES (similar to MasterSystem) didn't have an ergonomics profile to really work with but functioned well. SNES was a bit better, N64 was fantastic (though looks very, very wrong). I'm just starting on Wii motes at the moment and not finding an issue.

The Gamecube controller is my favourite ever made.. the N64 controller was bizarre but it worked..

Cant say i've ever had any trouble with Nintendo controllers.

Nintendo have made some weird controllers I agree, credit where credit is due though the GameCube controller is really nice and still one of my favorites 13+ years later.

The only controllers i think are better than that are the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers.

I generally love Nintendo controller design, the one exception is the Wii U Gamepad Pro, the Wii non-U Gamepad was fine, but the Pro, I've found hard on my wrists / hands.

I've found Sony's dual shock layout the most comfortable.

• Like 1

Original NES controllers would give me blisters. N64 was just awkward. Gamecube controller was alright. Wii controller is a joke for playing mario or anything of that nature, but is okay for pointing it at the TV and pressing A or B. Wii U Pro controller is great. Wii U gamepad is pretty nice, just a bit heavy. 3DS XL feels like I'm being punished for holding it, so I had to buy a grip for mine.

I am glad Nintendo tries different designs, even if they don't always turn out well.

The 3DS is awful for this, I can't use it for "long" (Like an hour) periods of time because I get bad cramps in my hands.

It feels like it's designed for an 8 year old.

The 3DS is awful for this, I can't use it for "long" (Like an hour) periods of time because I get bad cramps in my hands.

It feels like it's designed for an 8 year old.

Good, that means it's designed for its target audience. :p

I loved the Nintendo 64 controller. Probably my fav of all super time.

It was amazing. God I miss that controller.

The only bad part, was that the analogue stick tended to "break" (it got worse and worse over time), so eventually you couldn't use it.

Personally never had a problem with Nintendo's controllers or MS and Sony's controller for that matter (when I was younger I used to play games using some really bad generic PC controllers so I think I have become more immune to noticing ergonomic flaws of most modern controllers..lol)

However, after discussion with friends and seeing what people tend to write on forums about controller comfort, I have come to the conclusion that controllers are like ear-buds in that one size does not fit all.

The only bad part, was that the analogue stick tended to "break" (it got worse and worse over time), so eventually you couldn't use it.

On the plus side, when the N64 analogue stick did wear out it meant that you would become the champion at Mario Party (just shake the controller and you would win at any of the party games requiring the movement of the analogue stick) :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

i recall back when i had consoles, and then comparing them to my kids now generation consoles, I still feel the best controller ever was the N64 one.

yeah but that middle joy stick really know how to blister up hands.

As far as hating Sony controllers, hate away, nothing wrong with the controllers when it is taken into account that for like 20 years, the basic design hasn't changed until the introduction of wireless and the touchpad.

Nintendo's controllers, hell every games console manufacturers' controllers are made to 'average' masses, all have haters, it's too big, it's too small, I don't like the trigger etc.

I would recommend taking a few minutes to see if there's a third party manufacturer that makes a controller for your console.

Yeah dude that's the way to go i think, with 3rd party controllers. 

i guess my issue may be im holding them to tight, but i don't seem to have issues with xbox controllers by far i think there the most comfortable. PlayStation is a bit hard for me to grip. 

Not had  a problem with any Nintendo controllers.

N64 was great for FPS games, Gamecube was just a nice design. Rest have been completely fine for me.