GPU/RAM/CPU specs for opening really heavy vector files.

Hi!

This is a questions for those who handle really large illustrator or other vectorbased files.

I would like to know what GPU, CPU and RAM, as well as storage specs is that's an issue you have for handling in a "snapy" and responsive manner really heavy files.

I' talking here about .ai files that consist of between 4 000 - 15 000 elements. (30 MB)

I have one of those and basically need to find out how I can modify it without waiting 30 min for it to open, the 2-3 mins just to select on thing or two and so on.

My specs are:

At work: HP workstation Z210. Quadro 600 (not K), Some OK Xeon and a HDD.

At home: Intel Core i7 980X,  256 SSD, nVidia GTX 570, 12 GB ram (have also 16 GB ram-sticks).

Kind regards.

Regert, Sweden.

it's hard to recommend anything without knowing what these .ai files do. What's an 'element'? If it's only 30MB then it doesnt seem it would take long to process at all...

I think your problem is Illustrator. It might not be taking advantage of your computing power which should be more than enough. Is Illustrator setup to take full advantage of the GPU?

How many points does the vector graphics have? If they are converted raster images they might need to be optimized. For example you do not need several points for a rounded corner.

I'll try to reply everyone.

your current configs cant handle it? :s

Well, for some reason no. I'm also wondering about that.

First guess, and this is only a guess, up the ram and see how you get on
Reason:
Mine cost me about

usually, PS and AI uses RAM to load the files but a 30 mb file with 12GB of ram seems easy, im intrigued

yeap, those setups are more than good for AI. I think it has to do with the methods you employ in your designs... 

In my company i do IT support to some designers that use PCs and MACs, and with the same hardware some of them have lots of problems like yours, some don't, because they use different techniques.

AI don't take advantage of all your computers hardware to process some complex designs, so you must learn how to optimize your drawings. I can't tell you exactly how, because i install it but never work with it   :)

I'll try to reply everyone.

~snip~

Sincere apologies, it's a 6350 bulldozer

I didn't go into details on the spec as I wasn't trying to show off

My old dual core Athlon 3.2 had 8gb ram, although it handled cs6 in those sizes, the images that went much larger, it struggled, cad was not an option on that rig at all, hence the new build

Have you upgraded to Illustrator CC in order to get GPU acceleration? Should help you a great deal.

Are you opening the files from your local computer or from a server?

Sincere apologies, it's a 6350 bulldozer

I didn't go into details on the spec as I wasn't trying to show off

My old dual core Athlon 3.2 had 8gb ram, although it handled cs6 in those sizes, the images that went much larger, it struggled, cad was not an option on that rig at all, hence the new build

No problem. I didn't Think you wer etrying to show off. I myself am thinking of upping the ram since I usually like to work with lots of stuff open (althought in this case I don't do that since I wanted to free as much resources for Illustrator as possible).

Have you upgraded to Illustrator CC in order to get GPU acceleration? Should help you a great deal.

Are you opening the files from your local computer or from a server?

Yes,, I have not upgraded, but signed up for a trial version. No, evrything is local. No network transfers.

You could get a good idea of where your bottleneck is just by opening Task Manager (assuming Win8) and looking at what's used at 100% when you load these files. Chances are it'll be the CPU.

Did you enable the GPU acceleration? I think it's hidden in the experimental features somewhere.

Yes, it's enabled.

You could get a good idea of where your bottleneck is just by opening Task Manager (assuming Win8) and looking at what's used at 100% when you load these files. Chances are it'll be the CPU.

Well that's what I also thought. The CPU on the 980X was 12-20%, 1100T about 10-30% and at work (Xeon) in the same ballpark. So it doesn't seem like it, more like the CPU is waiting for something.

I've made the following changes to the AMD rig at home but have not tested the results yet:

1. Followed the Adobe "Optimize your PC for Illustrator" article.

2. Changed the C:drive to a bigger SSD I have, so 120 to 256 GB.

3. Changed the SWAP file size according to the article recommendation. In this case from auto to 16300 MB min to 48072 MB.

I also spoke to one of those who made the source file. Well, it was admitted that the file got really heavy. I still need to try and see how many nodes/points the file has.

Well that's what I also thought. The CPU on the 980X was 12-20%, 1100T about 10-30% and at work (Xeon) in the same ballpark. So it doesn't seem like it, more like the CPU is waiting for something.

I've made the following changes to the AMD rig at home but have not tested the results yet:

1. Followed the Adobe "Optimize your PC for Illustrator" article.

2. Changed the C:drive to a bigger SSD I have, so 120 to 256 GB.

3. Changed the SWAP file size according to the article recommendation. In this case from auto to 16300 MB min to 48072 MB.

I also spoke to one of those who made the source file. Well, it was admitted that the file got really heavy. I still need to try and see how many nodes/points the file has.

So is the SSD at 100% then? Could just be I/O bound.

• 1 year later...

Just spotted your post. 

I create quite complex  AI files of about 70 mb.  I will explain more later.

I have 32gb of Ram which was a gift for me new oc (back in 2011-2012)  

I managed with a quadro k2000 for illustrator, and just recently decided to upgrade to an Nvidia 1060 gtx 6bg  (I read that for 4k video work I would need the 6gb)  I do only a medium amont of video work, and this is steadily growing.

SO using these big illustrator complex files, (tomorrow I will dog out the specs on them) I havent really noticed much difference between the older quadro card and the 1060 really. 

Im using windows 10   64 bit.  My processor is a i7 3930k    and all SSD drives.

Maybe we can test out each others illustrator files to get an idea of how they work on other rigs.

• astropheed locked this topic