Valve Is Not Psyched It Got An 'F' In Customer Service

They haven't cared and they won't ever care.

Would have been completely different had they had an EU branch or been based in the EU.

Sort of a ridiculous response from Valve. "We don't care about a problem unless we're publicly embarrassed by it on Reddit or Twitter.

Well let's be honest the BBB is nothing but utterly useless. That said Valve's customer service is atrocious. There have been multiple complaints about it on reddit, on steam forums etc and they just don't care.

I mean EA may be a giant piece of ###### but generally Origins customer support is miles better than Valve.

I don't think they have dedicated support staff let alone anyone employed to do anything about complaints.

Well let's be honest the BBB is nothing but utterly useless. That said Valve's customer service is atrocious. There have been multiple complaints about it on reddit, on steam forums etc and they just don't care.

I mean EA may be a giant piece of ###### but generally Origins customer support is miles better than Valve.

Unfortunately Origins customer support is indeed miles ahead simply because .. it exists on a 24/7 basis.

I guess the BBB is trying to draw attention to the bad practices of companies in order to compel them to improve their service. The BBB isn't a regulator and it has no authority to force companies to change.

BBB is a business, and they solicit money from companies.

lots of companies that have bad service have A grade.    i know since i have dealt with them.

not talking about the overall service,  but Valve is right to care about Reddit and Twitter comments more then BBB.   Who cares about BBB.

anyway, if you have bad service, email Gabe directly.  hi does answer and can help resolve your issue faster.      just don't mention that i told you so.   ;)

Valve always has and always will have disastrous customer support, that's why they made forums.

considering the customer base, It would be practically impossible not to get an F in any sense.

You are right.

You cannot have a good customer support when you make 2+ billion in revenue. You can only do that when you make 200+.

Sort of a ridiculous response from Valve. "We don't care about a problem unless we're publicly embarrassed by it on Reddit or Twitter.

They have a point though, the BBB is a sham.

• Like 2

They have a point though, the BBB is a sham.

But people make the same complaints on Twitter and Reddit, and they still haven't improved.

It's just a deflection.

You are right.

You cannot have a good customer support when you make 2+ billion in revenue. You can only do that when you make 200+.

Kids will complain about anything and everything when most of it is user issues and not valve issues. This is what I meant.

Example: 1) My game has latency, VALVE SUCKS! 2) My computer is choppy when I play this game, VALVE SUCKS! 3) I got a virus after I insllaed steam, VALVE SUCKS 4) and on and on and on

Kids will complain about anything and everything when most of it is user issues and not valve issues. This is what I meant.

Example: 1) My game has latency, VALVE SUCKS! 2) My computer is choppy when I play this game, VALVE SUCKS! 3) I got a virus after I insllaed steam, VALVE SUCKS 4) and on and on and on

And each and every one of those deserves at least a RESPONSE. Even if it's as simple as sending you the info to contact the game developer or something.

I've contacted Support 5 times. Only once did I get a response.

Now I love Steam. I get all my games there, but their customer service is total ######, and unacceptable.

The observations about Reddit et al are perfectly accurate, they have quite a history of rather rapid fixes to Dota 2 and CS:GO from discussions on such sites during events and post-patches.

What they're not so good at is employing people that fit the flat Valve structure, and are then also willing to actually work a job that consists of 90% dumb kids getting scammed out of virtual items, 5% people not being capable of looking at an issue beyond their nose (PEBKAC), and then the remainder being actual issues that do require intervention.

Certainly not the first time I've heard this about Valve's support. Sadly, I can't imagine they haven't known about their own abysmal support and have little doubt they even care.

The only way to make them care is if enough customers stop buying from Steam and enough publishers stop releasing their games on Steam.

Of course, the big alternative is Origin, from EA, which is probably worse than Valve in giving a crap about their customers or supoorting them.

i feel bad for them. After reading reviews, it's mostly dumb kids crying about something. Especially on these early access titles. Wanting refunds, etc.

I had my steam account since 2004 and never had to contact them once. So, i'm not sure why anyone who isnt a whiner, would have to contact them with legit reasons.

• Like 2

i feel bad for them. After reading reviews, it's mostly dumb kids crying about something. Especially on these early access titles. Wanting refunds, etc.

I had my steam account since 2004 and never had to contact them once. So, i'm not sure why anyone who isnt a whiner, would have to contact them with legit reasons.

When you do have to contact them, its when the service is bad.  I had to do so once in the past, and it was not good.

On one hand, they have to develop Steam for literally hundreds of independent developers whose software creates problems that get blamed on Steam, which is why 95% of their "support" is "dunno, ask the developer" and their useless forums.

That said, the remaining support they do is absolutely horrible, though possibly tempered by needing to weed through thousands of complaints about specific games they have nothing to do with.

Steam itself is generally OK, but they never fix ###### that is broken (like how it always tries to update itself for 5 minutes every time it launches for me). I'd rather have client fixes than those useless damn trading cards.

There are a lot of problems that aren't Valve's to fix that are being attributed to Steam, but there are many that are, and they are legitimate, and Valve basically ducks them.

Here's one that affects me. I have DSL, so I have a dynamic IP address. Every time it changes, I have to do the verification thing. If I have a power outage, or an Internet outage, my IP changes and I have to get on Steam and then verify via email. And then I can't trade for a week. And sometimes my IP address doesn't stay the same for a week. It's BS is what it is. Here's an idea. Update the smartphone app and do two-factor authentication. Same level of security, but no BS reasons for it. Meanwhile, Valve must think I run Steam on over thirty machines. Maybe more. Probably a lot more.

And then you always hear on Reddit about people losing their accounts. I'm sure a few tried to sell their accounts, knowing full well it's against the rules, and thought they were more clever than Valve, and found out the hard way that they aren't. But we don't know that for sure.