Gabe Newell Discusses Possibility of Half-Life 3

Gabe Newell Discusses Possibility of Half-Life 3
Keep those fingers crossed.
By Alex Osborn

Valve boss Gabe Newell recently shared his thoughts on the future of the Half-Life franchise, and how the company he co-founded many years ago has evolved into a service platform as it shifts away from game development.

During an interview with Geoff Keighley in a one-off podcast called GameSlice (via Polygon), Newell was asked whether or not fans will ever see a proper Half-Life 3. Newell replied: "The only reason we'd go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did]."

"But you know if you want to do another Half-Life game and you want to ignore everything we've learned in shipping Portal 2 and in shipping all the updates on the multiplayer side, that seems like a bad choice," Newell continued. "So we'll keep moving forward. But that doesn't necessarily always mean what people are worried that it might mean."

Make of that what you will, but it appears Newell isn't willing to commit to either confirming the existence of Half-Life 3 or squashing the hopes of fans once and for all.

Valve just recently unveiled the Source 2 engine and a VR headset it's creating with HTC to bring to market. Putting those two together sounds like a fantastic way to create a new experience for Half-Life fans.

Source: IGN

It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't ended Episode 2 in such a cliff hanger...

And if they'd hadn't made promises they couldn't keep. I won't say they didn't try, but as long as it has been, it would seem that we should've at least gotten some sort of conclusion episode.

HL3 CONFIRMED to be not coming out for probably quite a while, if at all.

At a guess, it'll come out around the same time as, and make heavy use of, their VR stuff.

It's just a Mexican stand off now, they're waiting for id to release some real DOOM footage, and then after that, maybe, MAYBE we'll finally hear something from valve that's not leaked snippets trolling the gaming community.

I'm sorry but what did they learn in shipping Portal 2 that would turn them off making another Half Life game? I thought with the new Source engine complete, they would have something powerful enough to create the kind of experience the game requires.

I'm sorry but what did they learn in shipping Portal 2 that would turn them off making another Half Life game? I thought with the new Source engine complete, they would have something powerful enough to create the kind of experience the game requires.

Sound to me that a lot of Valve folk maybe just left because no games are being released.

*over the years that is.

Sounds to me like he personally doesn't have any interest in seeing it done. If he did he wouldn't have said; "The only reason we'd go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did]."

That just screams of a cop out to me.

Newell replied: "The only reason we'd go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did]."

So the fact that HL2 sold 12 million copies making it 4th best selling PC game - is not a reasonable explanation?! :blink:  and that most of the players will want a to finish the story and definately buy the game, is not enough? :huh:

i have a feeling the game turned out not as great as to live up to the hype, so they will not be releasing it.     

unless they can sell it only with their VR set, to force wide adoption of the new tech, or something.... :(

• Like 2

holy scmitt!! aiwa coming back and HL3????!!!!!!

HEAVY BREATHING

FPS games have changed a lot since HL... HL1 was obviously fairly revolutionary, then everyone copied that for a while, but things have moved away from the scripted action a lot. No "RPG-ish" skills to raise, not heavily integrated in online games... it would have to be a departure from HL.

I'd rather see Portal 3 anyway.

"The only reason we'd go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did]."

Makes me really sad that this statement isn't already true inside Valve. I guess their main focus is just going to be on F2P titles and supporting steam now.

Don't forget Valve milked Team Fortress 2 by first selling it then making it full of pay to unlock nonsense.

Do you want to see the greed model of DOTA / TF2 / CS:GO in HL3? FFS I sure the hell would not.

Die Gabe. Thanks.

Valve kicked off the episodic game crap with the HL2 "episodes," and then didn't follow through.  If you asked me even last year I would have said that I was still excited and hopeful to see HL3, but really I don't even care anymore. If it comes it comes, and if it doesn't, oh well.

Don't believe a word of this quote. They are working on it, but like HL2 they are scared of the success and unwilling to release something until they're happy with it.

• Like 1

Don't believe a word of this quote. They are working on it, but like HL2 they are scared of the success and unwilling to release something until they're happy with it.

Just like 3D Realms did with DNF

I honestly hope Valve waits until the "HL3 Confirmed" meme has died. Once it hasn't been seen on popular websites in, say, a year, then maybe they go ahead and confirm it. I want that to be true. That Gabe has a custom Google search set up. "Looks like we can't announce HL3 this week, some doofus made another "HL3 Confirmed" joke."

Yeah, just like Duke Nukem Forever. DNF was the game Duke fans deserved, and it was really fun, but fell short of the hype, which was set impossibly high.

Same reason that Final Fantasy 7 remake never happened. It was originally announced on the PS2. A PS2 FF7 would not look much better than the original, by today's standards. I recall Square saying it was a matter of honor, that they would not go back to FF7 until they could reach that level of success again without it. They don't want to use FF7 as a crutch twice a decade and limp ahead on that. They want to make it on new stuff. But they can't. Before FF7, they did one thing really well. Then they made FF7, and FF8 to a lesser (or greater?) extent. The symphonic, cinematic RPG. Now, I honestly don't know what they're after. I think it was 13 I tried, and it was just bad (at least, in my opinion, which is far from infallible).

As much as I loved HL2 (I couldn't play HL1 due to motion sickness

I have to say I sort of resent companies like Valve who do this.

Yes - as Gabe says, they've tried to move away from the games side of things and more into technology and content delivery. However Half Life arguably 'made' them. And it has a lot of loyal, dedicated fans - many of whom were the early adopters of Steam, which helped Valve gain such a huge foothold in that market. 

So it sort of irks me a little when companies forget their roots and indeed give a bit of a '######' type message to their most loyal fans and move onto whatever else interests them. 

I hope that some day they will actually release HL3. Even if it is used as a showcase for some new technology they're trying to push at the time.