10041 TP Notification Area Icons strange behaviour/broken

After going to build 10041 I now have to use the 'Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar' option otherwise I can see no system tray icons except for the system icons. The 'show hidden icons' arrow is present but doesn't respond at all (i.e. the overflow area does not appear).

I have cleared the notification area cache but still no joy. Anyone else get this or have any ideas?

Ok well I upgraded from Win7 Home Prem to 9926 (didn't realise it was only core at that point). I couldn't get the 10041 to appear as update so I upgraded to TP Pro from the 9926 ISO which then allowed the 10041 update - after which this problem first appeared.

As there's been no response I guess nobody else got this issue (and no suggestions of a fix) so when I get back home I'm just gonna fresh install from 9926 ISO and then u/g to 10041 again. Hopefully this will have a 'cleaner' result.

Ok well that is interesting.

I have just done a clean EFI install of 9926 from the iso and then upgraded to 10041. Systray was all back to normal.

Just getting everything 'back to normal' and just noticed the tray is back to playing up again!

One of 2 things - had just installed Steam so maybe it's that. Also have noticed the NVidia driver updated to 349.90 and by default in the nvidia control panel>desktop menu the item 'Show Notification Tray Icon' is ticked and I cannot un-tick it. I don't know if this is cause or effect or completely unrelated.

I should have been paying more attention as to when the systray went freaky again but I really thought it was a result of the previous upgrades and after it worked fine after the initial return to 10041 I thought it was solved.

edit: the other suspect is the Realtek HD Audio manager

In 10041, the notification area no longer seems tied to the uac, which I turn off via the registry(because I'm not a six yr old).

This is a step in the right direction.