Installing Windows 10 builds with a Zelman Virtual CDROM drive.

Here is a much easier way to install new Windows 10 builds. Instead of recreating a bootable USB install drive each time, you can just put the ISO on one of these devices. Super handy.

http://www.amazon.com/VE-200SE-Storage-Enclosure-External-Silver/dp/B007M56JHO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426873665&sr=8-2&keywords=zalman+ve

Corrections in the video. When I said burn a USB stick, I mean creating. When I said Stream 8 I meant Stream 7. When I said that usb adapter was a piece of crap, I really meant it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thats an awesome guide warwagon do you know if there are any alternatives to this zalman enclosure as i would like to get something like this for all of the iso's that I use when carrying out repairs etc.

Thats an awesome guide warwagon do you know if there are any alternatives to this zalman enclosure as i would like to get something like this for all of the iso's that I use when carrying out repairs etc.

Why do you nee an alternative to the zelman? Just buy the zalman :p

It's pretty much one of a kind. There is something for $100 called an ISO stick, which is a USB stick that uses Micro SD. I had one it worked great. but I lost it. If I had to choose I would choose the Zelman. the ISO stick once you select the ISO you would have to reboot. Then choose the isostick again to boot the ISO. I have a video on that too.. Let me link it to you.

only asked as the zalman is a discontinued item so would rather have something current.

but thanks anyway.

Where does it say it's discontinued?

didn't know this existed, thanks! definitely will help with server installs that don't have cd drives anymore

Whats great is that even in a secure boot environment when this device mounts a Windows 8 which is EFI compatible it shows up in the boot list. That's why I had to reboot, First for it to detect it. If legacy boot was turned on or on a non efi system, the Zelman CDROM would have showed up regardless if the image was mounted or not. But be cause the EFI only shows EFI compatible devices, that's why I had to reboot for it to show up.

huh, a few places I looked said these are no longer available or discontinued... amazon has some from other sellers... but wondering why some places list them as discontinued? I can find the ZM-VE300 which seems to be newer more places

huh, a few places I looked said these are no longer available or discontinued... amazon has some from other sellers... but wondering why some places list them as discontinued? I can find the ZM-VE300 which seems to be newer more places

yes, I also have one VE300. There are 2 things I dislike about that one

1) it seems to never remember which ISO you had loaded. When you turn it on it always starts with no iso mounted.

2) you write protect the device in software (from the LCD screen, you push the wheel in for a few seconds until an option menu appears). There is not a physical write protection switch.