Helped friend apply for a job, he was asked "Equality" questions

I spent yesterday evening helping a friend of mine get his CV up to scratch and registered on a few job sites.

He told me that the job centre informed him that he had to register on Universal Job Match, which appears to be a job site set-up by the UK government.

Before he could apply for any jobs on Universal Job Match he was forced to complete an "Equality" questionnaire which wanted to know the following:

• Ethnicity
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Religion
I understand that Equality is about ensuring individuals are treated fairly, however I personally felt it was wrong to ask the above and couldn't really understand what any of the above should change to a job application by any individual. That got me wondering if certain applications are then held back so I didn't look like a certain ethnicity or religious group was been favoured for certain jobs.

You can select "prefer not to say", however I must admit I didn't think the above was even allowed be asked when applying / registering somewhere to apply for a job.

Just wondering what other Neowin members think about this?

Screenshot:

10p1wjr.jpg

if i'm the employer, I would choose those who said that capabilities & merits trumps that 'equality' stuff.

But since the potential employer aren't me,

so i would suggest to research about the tester/employer's "morality inclination" to find the best answer that would allow applicants to be hired.

eff this "diversity quota" it's pretentious and alienates people further.

Ask any minority group and they will tell you it singles them out more and they feel worse. They feel gipped and "on the spot" and other non minority groups are also ###### because they feel scrubbed and screwed.

both sides hate this so can we pls sthap!!!

Me I would've just put go ###### yourself lol but seriously in the states they can't ask u that.

I know here in Australia if an employer wants to hire someone of a certain race or sex, they do it. All they do is say 'thanks, but no thanks' to anyone who is the wrong sex, race, or ethnicity so they dont have to face any anti-discrimination charges. 

As for that survey, don't do it. Simple as that.

Me I would've just put go ###### yourself lol but seriously in the states they can't ask u that.

I think by putting the option "prefer not to say" makes it voluntary and optional which would then allow them to put this on the form even if in the USA

I think by putting the option "prefer not to say" makes it voluntary and optional which would then allow them to put this on the form even if in the USA

You shouldn't be forced to enter anything if you don't want to, making those fields mandatory, even if to select "Prefer not to say" is an unnecessary inconvenience, and what about when they remove that option, we know it's a matter of time before it is, then what, it's none of their business the answer to any of the questions 

you aren't forced... its a choice. I am in agreement with you.

In the posted screen all the options have a red asterisk, making you have to select something, not cool

In the posted screen all the options have a red asterisk, making you have to select something, not cool

Now i am not in agreement with you. If someone is too lazy to check a box, I wouldn't want them working for me anyways. Don't like the box? Too bad... go down the street and apply there. (note: the questions wouldn't be on my form to begin with)

eff this "diversity quota" it's pretentious and alienates people further.

Ask any minority group and they will tell you it singles them out more and they feel worse. They feel gipped and "on the spot" and other non minority groups are also ###### because they feel scrubbed and screwed.

both sides hate this so can we pls sthap!!!

Equality questionnaires help to highlight diversity shortcomings and prevent discrimination. If people prefer not to disclose such information then they are free to do so. But sure, let's pretend they're bad.

• Like 2

Equality questionnaires help to highlight diversity shortcomings and prevent discrimination. If people prefer not to disclose such information then they are free to do so. But sure, let's pretend they're bad.

Thing is minorities hate these questions and all this "equality" pressuring makes them look bad. Most white people think from a different perspective then the actual minorities indicated.

They hate being singled out and made into a different group and made to be "different" by white people that have the wrong idea about it all.

This is like the SJWs that ruin feminism. They make women look WORSE. They single us out and they make us worse off. People are now less likely to treat women good becuase they are afraid they are all vindictive bitches out to beat men and make men suffer.

Thing is minorities hate these questions and all this "equality" pressuring makes them look bad. Most white people think from a different perspective then the actual minorities indicated.

They hate being singled out and made into a different group and made to be "different" by white people that have the wrong idea about it all.

This is like the SJWs that ruin feminism. They make women look WORSE. They single us out and they make us worse off. People are now less likely to treat women good becuase they are afraid they are all vindictive bitches out to beat men and make men suffer.

Exactly, I'm Pureto Rican, and obviously one, and I know no other Latino that likes filling those out

I also HATE quota based "diversity" that these types of questions tend to generate  

In armenia, you can only get a permanent residence or citizenship if you're ethnically/racially/whatever armenian. I asked "what about a quarter-armenian who was born in germany and knows nothing about armenians and their culture and doesn't speak the language?"

She asked: "If the paternal grandfather was armenian, then he's armenian."

I couldn't ask anything more because I was preoccupied trying to hold my laughter. How would they prove if the grandpa was armenian.

Also, for citizenship, you should provide proof that you've been baptized in an armenian church.

The whole ethnicity and religion concepts are just bullcrap from start to finish.

that UJM site is a total farce, its listings are nothing more than a copy and paste of job of other sites that have the same listings.

monster are the ones that provide the backbone to this system so that should tell you something!

and you will often find listings that are anything from 2 to 6 months old and have been filled by the agency that originally listed the job

Looks like they are less likely to hire Caucasian heterosexual males without any disabilities to satisfy their 'diversity quota'

• Like 2

Just a couple things that probably apply to most responding with their emotions and personal experiences and "opinions."

1) What data are you using in concluding "minorities hate these questions." And who is the minority? Are they all one big ol' group that all think the same?

2) Who is "they"

3) Who are these white people that have the wrong idea about it all and are they at all related to the white people that have the "right" idea about it all?

Lastly, you're focused on minority, "they" and "white" yet Ethnicity is only 1/6th of the survey.

You don't have to answer, I'm just sayin' ...

"they" = the people I talk to on facebook that are indicated minority groups. They HATE being alienated and treated different and "special" they feel like they are treated as "special kids" and they hate being labelled as such.

It's like the special ed kids at school for them.... that's how they feel. and that's what makes the tension start.

Mexican friends hate being viewwed as "mexican" and "special" they simply just wanna be viewed as HUMANS and not treated like they need water wings and training wheels.... they feel like they are being condecended by the white people. same as african americans, asians, etc....

As a white male in the UK, I am not as welcome as someone from an "ethnic minority" - Transport for London openly admits it "welcomes applications from ethnic minorities" which basically says if two people apply and both score the same, they will chose someone who is black / asian / chinese / whatever over me... so not exactly fair!

However the wording has changed to say they welcome applications as diverse as the city they serve.