How to repair your system files using Dism and Sfc in build 10041

Hello, everyone,

I've managed to resolve most of my problems with build 10041 by making SFC work. I've opened a thread on Windows Insider's forums explaining how to do it. Check it out:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-repair-your-system-files-using-dism-and-sfc/1021b42a-09ff-41a0-a95a-48f3ee3ae699

Regards.

Guys, I've just learned something else. After a fresh reboot of Windows 10, I decided to give 'sfc /scannow' another go, just for the sake of it and guess what? The process got interrupted multiple times after roughly 5%. I managed to make it work again by running:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

or

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

again. Then 'sfc /scannow' worked again flawlessly.

I don't understand what's wrong with these builds. Are Microsoft guys changing something really elementary? Will this have anything to do with those changes I read about system compression?

What do you guys think?

will this do anything to help with the mail/calendar issue?

Not really. That's a different problem and to solve it you must do the following:

1) Open Command Prompt or Windows Powershell as administrator

2) Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage

Try it on Windows Powershell instead of Command Prompt. At least, I think I remember having done it this way.

well, that does something different....was actually able to install it.  I wonder how it would work without uninstalling it from 9926- would I have to remember all my passwords?  Because I don't remember all my email passwords....

well, that does something different....was actually able to install it. I wonder how it would work without uninstalling it from 9926- would I have to remember all my passwords? Because I don't remember all my email passwords....

Sorry, I got lost in your reply. What do you mean by if it'll remember all your passwords?

Sorry, I got lost in your reply. What do you mean by if it'll remember all your passwords?

I have a couple hotmail and a couple yahoo emails I use as "junk catchers".  Regular Win 8.1 and the other 10 previews remember my email passwords (so I haven't needed to remember them in a long time), so I hope this "remembers" them also.  Otherwise, I have to go through and change them all.

edit-  looks like it kept the settings, hurrah!  just the label now doesn't show as "mail" or "calendar" now...oh well, at least it works though

OK, guys, for those of you running into trouble while attempting the instructions of the OP. Try this and tell me if it helps:

1. Activate Hidden Administrator Account:
(Run Command Prompt or PowerShell as Administrator and type: net user administrator /active:yes
(Note: you can deactivate this account with the command: net user administrator /active:no)

2. Sign Out

3. You can now Sign In using the new Administrator Account

4. Now repeat these steps from the original instructions:
4.1 dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

4.2 dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

This time this one should work without the WIM file from your source media installation.
4.3 dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

5. sfc /scannow

I can't test this myself right now because I should perform yet another clean install of 10041 (and I think I did so like 5 times last week for other reasons rolleyes.gif)

Share your results! wink.gif

Regards!

I have a couple hotmail and a couple yahoo emails I use as "junk catchers".  Regular Win 8.1 and the other 10 previews remember my email passwords (so I haven't needed to remember them in a long time), so I hope this "remembers" them also.  Otherwise, I have to go through and change them all.

edit-  looks like it kept the settings, hurrah!  just the label now doesn't show as "mail" or "calendar" now...oh well, at least it works though

You didn't mention whether this was in a browser, or an application, but one of these should be able to help you recover those passwords:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html#password_utils

With Google Chrome, you could sync all your passwords to your Google account, so they would be available from other machines/devices.

You didn't mention whether this was in a browser, or an application, but one of these should be able to help you recover those passwords:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html#password_utils

With Google Chrome, you could sync all your passwords to your Google account, so they would be available from other machines/devices.

It is the windows mail app.  it actually worked out and kept the passwords (even though I manually went in and changed most of them already!)  So, no worries.  Thanks for the info though!