Considering a new car...opinions

I have had a Honda Civic EX-L since 2009 and while it has been very reliable it has been just a car.  I am considering financing or leasing (haven't decided yet) at the end of this coming summer.  Illinois has made leasing a car quite attractive by removing the leasing tax.

I figure once the 2016 models have been on sale for a while I can get a good deal on a 2015 model.

So far I have test driven:

Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited

VW Passat 1.8 SEL

Mazda 6 Grand Touring

Now, the Legacy just got a complete re-design for 2015 and is a great car.  However, I am not sold on the CVT transmission but the infotainment center is outstanding and so is the interior.  The brake and gas pedals were perfectly set apart from each other.  It is also the only one that offers AWD.

The Passat has a great engine and is able to really get the car up to speed from a dead stop but the console is only so-so and the seats are terrible.  The SEL and V6 models actually have leather seats with suede!

Now the Mazda6.  It has the looks, the engine, the MPG, and all the bells and whistles.  However, to get all that also costs the most.  But, so far of the three it was the most fun to drive.

Is there anything I am missing or another car I should look at?  I have no interest at this point in a car from the big 3.  I also have no interest in another car from Honda.

1) What type of vehicle do you want? Like do you want it to be a car/touring type or are you open to bigger vehicles.
2) Why don't you want a vehicle from the "big 3" as much as they get knocked.. they end up having some of the best support.

1) What type of vehicle do you want? Like do you want it to be a car/touring type or are you open to bigger vehicles.

2) Why don't you want a vehicle from the "big 3" as much as they get knocked.. they end up having some of the best support.

1. I see no need for a crossover or suv.  A full-sized sedan is also too big(?)  So, I am looking at the mid-sized ones. 

2. GM/Chevy covered up for a decade problems with their ignitions while people died.  All while getting billions in tax payers money to stay in business.  The mentality of Detroit didn't and won't change.  I will not give them my money.

The Subaru is a very nice vehicle, don't disregard the CVT. You have a manual/sport mode that emulates shift points if you REALLY are that uptight about it.

2015-subaru-legacy-14.jpg

Other choices (be open minded!) to name a few

Ford Fusion Titanium

novo-ford-fusion-2014-preco-8-1024x533.j

Honda Accord Sport

fiercehonda.jpg\\

2015 Toyota Camry XSE

hqdefault.jpg

2015 Kia Optima SX

5733_1_2-600-001.jpg

2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport

2015-hyundai-sonata-sport-20t-front-thre

PS> Yes, I'm partial to white cars. :D

1. I see no need for a crossover or suv.  A full-sized sedan is also too big(?)  So, I am looking at the mid-sized ones. 

2. GM/Chevy covered up for a decade problems with their ignitions while people died.  All while getting billions in tax payers money to stay in business.  The mentality of Detroit didn't and won't change.  I will not give them my money.

Fair enough.  I personally drive an F-150 and love it.  Guy I work with just bought a Ford Fusion and it's a nice looking car.   Some of the new Kia's look pretty nice too.

Fair enough.  I personally drive an F-150 and love it.  Guy I work with just bought a Ford Fusion and it's a nice looking car.   Some of the new Kia's look pretty nice too.

I never really looked at a Kia only because I always lumped them into the same category as Scion...the kind of car that a recent college graduate buys.  Has that changed?

The Subaru is a very nice vehicle, don't disregard the CVT. You have a manual/sport mode that emulates shift points if you REALLY are that uptight about it.

2015-subaru-legacy-14.jpg

Other choices (be open minded!) to name a few

Ford Fusion Titanium

novo-ford-fusion-2014-preco-8-1024x533.j

Honda Accord Sport

fiercehonda.jpg\\

2015 Toyota Camry XSE

hqdefault.jpg

PS> Yes, I'm partial to white cars. :D

IMO...very few cars can pull off white and look good.

I never really looked at a Kia only because I always lumped them into the same category as Scion...the kind of car that a recent college graduate buys.  Has that changed?

Yea, I think so.  Kia has definitely stepped up their game and is providing much nicer looking vehicles.  They are still on the "Sporty" side look wise, but it looks like they are a lot more refined than they used to be.

I would be considering the v6 altima, the v6 accord, v6 fusion, and the v6 Camry. All are in the mid sized sedans too, where the Altima is the biggest interior wise.

Kia and hyundai both have their higher end models that compete in the luxury category in the $50+k.

I have had dodge, Ford, nissan, and toyota...toyota is a little more but they give you a little more too, first 25000 mi free maintenance, to 45k miles $299. I really enjoyed my v6 altima, but my hybrid camry isn't bad either...creature comfort similar but the altima had more power. Ford forgets who you are after 36k miles, dodge forgets who you are after you sign the papers. Nissan (200k miles and didn't cost an arm and a leg to get me there) and toyota (they like washing my car every time I bring it in, and they like to keep me fed and caffeinated) seem to want to keep me coming back and recommend people in their direction.

I would be considering the v6 altima, the v6 accord, v6 fusion, and the v6 Camry. All are in the mid sized sedans too, where the Altima is the biggest interior wise.

Kia and hyundai both have their higher end models that compete in the luxury category in the $50+k.

I have had dodge, Ford, nissan, and toyota...toyota is a little more but they give you a little more too, first 25000 mi free maintenance, to 45k miles $299. I really enjoyed my v6 altima, but my hybrid camry isn't bad either...creature comfort similar but the altima had more power. Ford forgets who you are after 36k miles, dodge forgets who you are after you sign the papers. Nissan (200k miles and didn't cost an arm and a leg to get me there) and toyota (they like washing my car every time I bring it in, and they like to keep me fed and caffeinated) seem to want to keep me coming back and recommend people in their direction.

I was thinking of looking at the altima.  It's not a half-bad machine.

I work in a body shop and see lots of crap cars and of my experiance  mazdas dont age well

only applies if you plan to keep the car more than about 2 years

I was thinking of looking at the altima.  It's not a half-bad machine.

I have a 2003 2.5s and a 2010 3.5sr.  Both were great cars....the 2010 I had to get rid of a little prematurely, rear ended a truck and it took out all of the electronics under the hood.  The 2.5s was given to my sil at 180k and her and her boyfriend drove to 210k before a tiny bolt let loose in the throttle body taking out the engine.  The 3.5 died around 125k miles, still going strong and perfect at that point (this had the cvt). Both I got considerably under sticker new.  I paid just under the sticker price after tax and tags on both (this was under the dealer invoice in both cases).  Would have went for another nissan this time, but was looking for a hybrid (or 40+ mpg) in a midsized due to the amount of driving I do. The altima was bigger, and far out accelerates the hybrid....but I am getting a lot more out of the pump for about the same price I paid for the 3.5sr. 

I work in a body shop and see lots of crap cars and of my experiance  mazdas dont age well

I always like to ask people on the front line about their view on a car's reliability.

I had a friend who managed a car wash, he was the one who talked me out of a 3-series BMW.

He said nearly everyone has the check engine light on, and the owners say they thought it would be more reliable.

In your experience, what cars seem to me made well, and which ones, like Mazda, are not made well ?

How so?  It's not like anything today is built to last.

Looking at the Neowin website logo, the correct answer should be a Hyundai? Seriously, go electric. Yes, I know it's expensive. Yes I know it has range problems (except for Tesla). But that's the way to go. Anything else entails a certain lameness that will get worse in the next few years. My opinon, just haul off and get the electric.

Looking at the Neowin website logo, the correct answer should be a Hyundai? Seriously, go electric. Yes, I know it's expensive. Yes I know it has range problems (except for Tesla). But that's the way to go. Anything else entails a certain lameness that will get worse in the next few years. My opinon, just haul off and get the electric.

So what you're saying is ignore any other factor and try to be a cool hipster at the sake of some of the drawbacks ?   Yeah, I think someone would be better off ignoring that thought process.

These things might be cool where you are, but not in all areas.  Here, they arent very popular.  I am seeing a lot of Teslas lately, and think they;re great.  I'd love to drive one - but most other brands are kinda junky ATM

Tesla has a crappy range too.  You'll get around 200 miles on a charge (Model S) if you travel at highway speeds.

That might be great for a purely commuter car or toy, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend $70k+ on a car I can't even leave state lines with.  The battery will also degrade at roughly 5-8% per year, so it won't take long for it to be basically useless unless you fork over the $30k for a new battery.

Battery tech sucks and it's absolutely not the future.

If you use the tesla charge stations, which are free, you can charge along the way. If they get more popular you well see more. 20 minutes to a full charge with their "supercharger" stations.

• Like 1

How so?  It's not like anything today is built to last.

very true all im saying is I see more mazdas with problems like windows not indexing properly rattling buzzing and what not

Most issues I have with new cars are not things customers would think about when you gotta peal them apart and put them back together you get irritated by some of the cost saving things they do

If you ever do change your opinion about Chevrolet, they make the Volt which has topped user satisfaction ratings for a while. A completely redesigned model is due out somewhere during this year. You get all the advantages of an electric vehicle (instant torque at 0 RPM, no noise, no vibration, no need to stop at gas stations, no noxious emissions in your garage/environment) and none of the range issues that are still problematic on all-eletrics like the Nissan Leaf. The 2016 in particular looks sporty and modern. The relatively high cost is offset by buying almost no gas for years to come, and government credits.

wdJ8rQk.jpg

They are not as bad as they used to be toward the beginning of the 2000s.

I have a Mazda 3 2007 and it just started to show some slight sign of rust (winters are hard on cars here). Never had to put any money on it outside of normal maintenance and a broken o2 sensor.

If you ever do change your opinion about Chevrolet, they make the Volt which has topped user satisfaction ratings for a while. A completely redesigned model is due out somewhere during this year. You get all the advantages of an electric vehicle (instant torque at 0 RPM, no noise, no vibration, no need to stop at gas stations, no noxious emissions in your garage/environment) and none of the range issues that are still problematic on all-eletrics like the Nissan Leaf. The 2016 in particular looks sporty and modern. The relatively high cost is offset by buying almost no gas for years to come, and government credits.

The Volt is the nerd dream car. It's like GM figured out how to make a car that presses all the buttons for someone who really likes to analyse what they want in a plug in/hybrid car down to the last detail. 

After driving one a few times, I can say I understand why people call it Car 2.0. I'm really thinking about buying or leasing one after my current lease is up. 

OP, I don't know you from Adam, but I will say this: Do. Not. Lease! For me, a nearly 50 year old guy, I have one main principle when buying a car: Pay for it all up front or do without. NO exceptions. I don't even finance. With leasing, ask yourself this question: Do rich people lease? No, poor people do.

Explain How A Car Lease Works

QUESTION: Listener asks Dave to break down the mathematical flaws in a car lease.

ANSWER: A car fleece is basically renting a car. You pay $400 a month and at the end of the new car lease, you turn it back in. If you want to buy it, you are buying it for what they estimate at the beginning of the fleece to be the market value. At the end of the lease, it