Apple to remove antivirus apps from its App Store

Apple has begun a campaign to remove antivirus apps from its App Store, 9to5Mac reports.

One of the first casualties of Apple's crackdown was VirusBarrier iOS. A blog post published by the app's developer explained that "several companies" were affected by Apple's decision.

Mac Rumors published an interview with Intego, developer of VirusBarrier iOS. CEO Jeff Erwin explained that Apple sent Intego an email to inform it that the app had been removed from the App Store. Apple accused VirusBarrier of being "misleading."

Erin told Mac Rumors that Apple "does not want people to be misled into believing that there are viruses on iOS." He says that he "went up to the executive level" inside Apple, but it didn't budge.

There's no official announcement from Apple about its change in policies

Unless a phone is jailbroken, I was under the impression that an iPhone wasn't able to be infected. 

• Like 1

I can see removing these apps that serve no valuable purpose, or are designed to make folks who have little technical knowledge (read: pretty much all Apple users and many Windows users) paranoid about what might happen on their devices.  But frankly, if you only get apps from the App Store, and don't go messing around with your iOS device, how vulnerable could it really be?  It would be good for Microsoft to do something similar for the Windows App Store for all the misleading apps put there.

Unless a phone is jailbroken, I was under the impression that an iPhone wasn't able to be infected. 

not entirely

how do you think jailbreaking is done in the first place. if done right malicious apps could take advantage of the same holes that jailbreak tools use

not entirely

how do you think jailbreaking is done in the first place. if done right malicious apps could take advantage of the same holes that jailbreak tools use

But those apps would never make it onto the app store, this isn't something that's exclusive to Apple, I'm sure that Android and Windows are in exactly the same position. 

Unless a user downloads and installs apps that are not from the app store they're safe. 

Aaah, the old "stick your head in the sand" method of dealing with viruses...

Genuinely, is this not the case? 

But those apps would never make it onto the app store, this isn't something that's exclusive to Apple, I'm sure that Android and Windows are in exactly the same position. 

Unless a user downloads and installs apps that are not from the app store they're safe. 

like things haven't snuck through before (even for a short time)

i could look up a bunch of the articles of emulators sneaking through to the app store but I won't bother. malicious apps potentially doing the same is my point

you can never say never

like things haven't snuck through before (even for a short time)

i could look up a bunch of the articles of emulators sneaking through to the app store but I won't bother. malicious apps potentially doing the same is my point

you can never say never

With all this aside, lets say your hypothetical IOS virus DOES happen, do you feel the antivirus apps that claimed to protect actually would? 

Making a point that if a virus, like a jailbreak for example, happens, no AV program could remove it since it wouldn't have the access permissions needed. because of this, these were removed for the hypothetical threat.

• Like 1

There was a jailbreak that could be triggered by clicking a link on the browser..

Yes. And that was bad. Very very very bad.

With all this aside, lets say your hypothetical IOS virus DOES happen, do you feel the antivirus apps that claimed to protect actually would? 

Making a point that if a virus, like a jailbreak for example, happens, no AV program could remove it since it wouldn't have the access permissions needed. because of this, these were removed for the hypothetical threat.

oh i wasn't disputing that the "anti-virus" apps were useless (because they are)

i was just disputing the statement that it's impossible for iOS to get a virus

Umm thats not true with Android, there are viruses on the official play store.