Connect to 2 Networks, one for internet and one for file sharing

So I am planning on setting up a little Windows Server box to store all my files on and I was wondering if I could just take an Ethernet cable and plug it directly into the first Ethernet port on my computer and use that for an Internet connection and have Ethernet port 2 used as a direct line to the server for the fastest possible file transfer speeds while that server itself also having an internet connection so it can receive updates and download software etc.

Kind of like this...

da10ce8b06.png

If so how would I go about it?

Why do you think that would be faster?  Is your router not a gig?  Get a gig switch.  Or get a current router, they are all gig and also can be had for cheap.

While yes you can do that if you use a different network and don't set a gateway, and you use a crossover cable or at least 1 of those nics is gig, etc.

There is really no point to doing that.

Even if your router is not gig, you can get gig switch for 20$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166057

$18 5 port gig

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127421

$18

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

$19.5, 153 reviews 5 stars

I want to have it directly connected to my PC because there are a lot of other users on this network and I want to keep my stuff private that and there can sometimes be a hell of a lot of traffic going down the network in this house and I don't really want any delays at all.

How's that keeping things private?

I'd plug both your PC and server into the router, then work on your windows security - splitting up and complicating your setup isn't going to make things secure, it's going to make things a pain in the ass.

I doubt you're even touching the sides of the available bandwidth.

How's that keeping things private?

I'd plug both your PC and server into the router, then work on your windows security - splitting up and complicating your setup isn't going to make things secure, it's going to make things a pain in the ass.

Surely if the server is only sharing on a network that I have access to IE plugged directly into the back of this computer no one else but me should be able to access it.

Why don't you just plug it directly into your router and set the correct file\security permissions? You'll still be the only one accessing that box if you've done it right. 

Surely if the server is only sharing on a network that I have access to IE plugged directly into the back of this computer no one else but me should be able to access it.

Not really because once you give it a "internet connection" on your router, the network will also have access to it.

But no one can log into it without a valid username / password and permissions. Unless you open everything so it's guest accessible I think you'll be fine.

Please learn share / file permissions and learn what ACLs are. That's the proper way to do this and have a file server. Also doesn't matter how much traffic is "on your network", if it's not going to or coming from the file server, when you intimate a copy, you'll get the fastest bandwidth available to you.

"there are a lot of other users on this network"

Connected to your home router?  Like your family?  Where exactly is this located?  You do understand that on a switch traffic is between 2 IPs and only go between those 2 physical ports that are connected, the only traffic everyone can see is broadcast traffic.

What is the router?  Do you even have gig nics?  Dos this "server" have gig nics?  Lets say you have a 100mbps internet connection, matter of fact lets say it was google fiber you had for the internet, the way a switch works computer A could be using the internet at gig, and you could still talk to the switch at gig.

How many people are accessing this server?  And what is the connection speed?  Why do you look on the server and lets see what the interface is doing for utilization, etc..  Call up task manager and go to the networking tab..  Is it even 10%?

Here are some example all people on the switch that are in the same vlan can see

This is arp traffic, when you want to talk to an IP, you send out a arp to broadcast saying hey do you have IP address 1.2.3.4 if so what is your mac address

post-14624-0-66976400-1427169068.png

Multicast - this is for example if you have UPnP enabled, which I only have setup for my sons ps3, no other devices can set anything - but this is the router saying hey I will do UPnP if you want to change something talk to me

post-14624-0-74056900-1427169178.png

Here is my raspberry pi running samba making its host announcement for the workgroup local, etc..

post-14624-0-84424100-1427169215.png

If my wife laptop or my sons phone is surfing the net, from my computer I do not see that traffic.  If someone watching a movie on my popcorn hour from my server, my machine does not see that traffic.  Why don't you grab wireshark and sniff on your pc for a while.  And be happy to explain any questions on what your seeing, etc..

IF the OP's router is gigabit, and all the nics are gigabit, I think the OP might think there is a noticeable difference in speed if he connects directly to the server, as opposed to connecting to server through the router.

What do you think a network is?

"While yes you can do that if you use a different network and don't set a gateway"

So what is 192.168.1.0/24

What is 192.168.2.0/24

Are those not networks? You subnet a network ;)  If you had 192.168.1.0/24 you could turn that into 192.168.1.0/25 and 192.168.1.128/25

The tern is used interchangeable, I personally like network or segment vs subnet.. When someone says subnet I normally think more to what the mask is on it vs what the actual segment is ;)

So yes 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 are subnets of 192.168.0.0/16 for example - but they are also different networks ;)

No you weren't, I was when said network.. ;)

Well to honest, the OP prob doesn't know the term network, or segment or subnet anyway - and more than likely not even gateway ;)

If he did, most likely would not be here asking the question in the first place to be honest, and clearly doesn't understand how a switch works either.  Which is fine - here to help people increase their understanding of the tools they use every single day..  I really hope he takes a sniff with wireshark and ask questions to be honest.