Jupiter May Have Destroyed The Solar System's First Planets

usjjegjoelv9viq6aoyk.png

An artist's depiction of Kepler 62f, a so-called super-Earth. According to a new theory, our sun may have once hosted planets like these.

(Credit: NASA Ames/JPL-Caltech.)

It is becoming increasingly obvious that our Solar System

• Like 4

Incredible. Certainly gives a lot more insight into the early formation of our Solar System.

What interests me even more is that science now has a rudimentary method of working out what to expect at a given single-star system, based upon the age of the star, and the presence and location of Jupiter-mass and Saturn-mass planets orbiting that star. Science can use that method to calculate to a good degree of certainty (probably 85-90%, if the model is accurate) the local stellar neighborhood within 5 AU of these objects (for Jupiter-sized objects).

As the dynamics of their understanding on this subject improves, so will this formula.

Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing it with us, OP. :)

[EDIT: Grammar. Ack.]

Oh holy HELL.

Is it possible that the large Galilean moons (Europa, Io, Ganymede, and Callisto) are captured objects from that period of time? Like time capsules?

Think about it ... they are way too far out to have that much H2O on them, are't they? Past the "subliminal zone" or something?

I have research to do.

*dash*

Some of them are no doubt captured Kupier belt objects, aka KBO's, similar to Pluto, Haumea, and Makemake. Certainly Triton and Phoebe are candidates. Others may have gained their water from impacting KBO's.

Heh. 

[ I truncated the rest of my comment, as it could would be construed as being insensitive to our Religious reader base ... and I've already been warned about doing that. Cheers, all! ]