Kraft Foods to merge with ketchup maker Heinz

I just cannot bring myself to spell it "wrong"... :p

I read a press release from Heinz once. In it, and i quote from memory... "The nutritional content in our Beanz is..." made me uncomfortably angry :p

The Ketchup is literally the best in the world. Top Chefs even say this, They haven't found anything better even the more expensive organic home made flavor (No Pun intended) of the month word.

Red Gold beats heinz imho. (When i cant get homemade) but i hope they dont change anything.

Regarding the 57 Varieties thing, it's made up and always has been:

What does the

Great, another mega-corporation that will reduce competition and be harder to regulate. :no:

All comes down to whether the US will open up their economy to foreign competition so then it doesn't remain dominated by a couple of companies. There maybe large corporations but there is still many independent brands - it all comes down to whether consumers educate themselves about alternatives.

Great, another mega-corporation that will reduce competition and be harder to regulate. :no:

I'd thought a clueless leftie like you would be all for this, mega-corps are the result of mainly leftist government intervention in the market with ridiculous rules and regulations making honest competition almost impossible and forcing companies to merge to survive, tack on bad gov policies making the economic environment bad and in the case of the US stagnant will mean more of yur "evil" mega-corps, not less 

Regarding the 57 Varieties thing, it's made up and always has been:

http://www.heinz.com/our-company/press-room/trivia.aspx

Actually, the 57 varieties refers to both pickles and tomatoes (originally pickles), as the company predates modern canning - pickling was the original method of preservation before canning (and later refrigeration and freezing) came along - the "57 kinds" logo itself is the cucumber (which is also the core ingredient of both the pickle, and the pickle byproduct - relishes).

That must be a UK thing because I've never once heard that slogan in the USA.

1. Heinz Oven-Baked Beans - Pork and Tomato Sauce
  2. Heinz Oven-Baked Beans - Pork no Tomato Sauce
  3. Heinz Oven-Baked Beans - Tomato Sauce no Pork
  4. Heinz Oven-Baked Red Kidney Beans
  5. Heinz Cream of Asparagus Soup
  6. Heinz Cream of Celery Soup
  7. Heinz Cream of Green Pea Soup
  8. Heinz Cream of Mushroom
  9. Heinz Cream of Oyster
  10. Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup
  11. Heinz Bean Soup
  12. Heinz Beef Broth
  13. Heinz Clam Chowder
  14. Heinz Gumbo Creole
  15. Heinz Mock Turtle Soup
  16. Heinz Scotch Broth
  17. Heinz Noodle Soup
  18. Heinz Pepper Pot Soup
  19. Heinz Vegetable Soup
  1. Heinz Consomm

All comes down to whether the US will open up their economy to foreign competition so then it doesn't remain dominated by a couple of companies. There maybe large corporations but there is still many independent brands - it all comes down to whether consumers educate themselves about alternatives.

You do realize that there are numerous large foreign owned companies on the US, and not just for food? Budweiser, Nestle, Unilever, Reckitt Benckiser, Fiat-Chrysler, Honda, Toyota....even 7-Eleven is foreign owned: Japan.

It's a really long list.

Actually, the 57 varieties refers to both pickles and tomatoes (originally pickles), as the company predates modern canning - pickling was the original method of preservation before canning (and later refrigeration and freezing) came along - the "57 kinds" logo itself is the cucumber (which is also the core ingredient of both the pickle, and the pickle byproduct - relishes).

...actually no, they made the slogan up for marketing purposes. They even state in on their website (as I have quoted). Are we having a red isn't red, it's purple debate? Because it's orange, damn it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh?

Of ALL the businesses that Kraft and Heinz are in, name one where the competition is NOT very intense.

Did you know, for example, that Starbucks is, in fact, one of Kraft's biggest competitors?  (Or have you forgotten that Kraft has the Maxwell House and Sanka coffee brands?)

Starbucks is not JUST a brand of coffeehouses - they also sell pre-ground and whole-bean coffees in major chain grocery stores/hypermarkets globally - taking on Kraft Global nose-to-nose.

Starbucks IS, in fact, why the Sanka brand went away - instead, Kraft Global subsumed it into the better-known Maxwell House brand.

And how long was it since Kraft Global itself acquired General Foods (which owned Maxwell House, Sanka, and other brands - including ShakeAndBake)?

And I haven't seen ANY sign of GlaxoSmithKline taking their foot off the pedal since the merger of Glaxo and SmithKlineBeecham - could Unilever be why?  (Not to mention Procter and Gamble - the original "soap opera" company - even after selling the majority of their PG Productions to BELL Productions - to reinvest the revenue back into the P&G core business.)

Companies are NOT looking only at a single country in terms of a market any more - even a SMALL (technically) business can actually go global in a year or less.

How long can the HP and Marmite brands evade the United States? (Not that I am necessarily looking forward to either - but single-nation branding in general is under serious siege.)