I'm Finally Ditching Windows Phone for Android

would be a horrible choice for someone used to a good WP camera. probably go for one of the higher end Sony Z's. since you has a 928 you might even get a better or at least equal camera. Sony also does a very good job optimizing the firmware and drivers for their hardware so they operate a lot more smoothly and faster than other androids. I wouldn't go cyanogen though. then you'll only get generic drivers for any phone, not optimized at all so not only are they slower they're also less efficient on battery use.

Depends what your definition of "horrible" is to be honest:

Random OnePlus One photo i have taken 1

Random OnePlus One Photo i have taken 2

I can screen cap a 4K video and get a pretty nice photo out of it too: 4K DCI video i have taken.

I'm not saying the OnePlus has the best camera ever and i'd certainly never compare it to a DSLR, however i certainly have no complaints for able to point and click and end up with a good quality photo.

outside daylight photos are meaningless for showing camera quality.

it'll take barnacules opinion on this. and he loved the phone but switched to an iPhone 6 because of the camera.

You leaving to Android without even try the final version of Windows 10 for phones?... My Lumia 1520 has been the best phone I ever have and I can't wait to test out WP 10 when is available for my phone.

I just got a 1520 a few weeks ago, and its a freakin amazing monster of a phone.

Good job OP. I went from a Lumia 925 to a OnePlus One, after owning a Lumia 800 previously as well. Android has come on a long way since the 800 first came out and the flexibility in what apps can do is very welcome compared to how locked down WP is.

Also, are these tabloid style dramatic status update topic names really needed? How about "Help me choose an Android phone" instead of making some op-ed about telling us things we already know are wrong with Windows Phone?

Here's another one that's the opposite:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1249130-im-finally-ditching-android-for-a-windows-phone/

Yes, I was trying to be the opposite of that. If there wasn't a post titled that, I would have gone for a more neutral name.

Love my OnePlus One. Great phone and now with added goodness Lollipop 5.1. Mmmm Lollipop. 

post-405-0-48184700-1427645718.pngpost-405-0-63532800-1427645796.pngpost-405-0-78120600-1427645810.png

• Like 2

Your sister must have some good friends at Microsoft if she's using a phone that hasn't even been announced yet. Also, are these tabloid style dramatic status update topic names really needed? How about "Help me choose an Android phone" instead of making some op-ed about telling us things we already know are wrong with Windows Phone? Here's another one that's the opposite:https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1249130-im-finally-ditching-android-for-a-windows-phone/

Your sister must have some good friends at Microsoft if she's using a phone that hasn't even been announced yet. Also, are these tabloid style dramatic status update topic names really needed? How about "Help me choose an Android phone" instead of making some op-ed about telling us things we already know are wrong with Windows Phone? Here's another one that's the opposite:https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1249130-im-finally-ditching-android-for-a-windows-phone/

It's Lumia 1320. Typo there.

Love my OnePlus One. Great phone and now with added goodness Lollipop 5.1. Mmmm Lollipop. 

The colors are ok but it looks boring and flat.

Of which mine is completely themed to ######...and so easily :D

Yea, I personally like yours.  Was just more of a: If you don't like the look... changing it doesn't require hacks, or anything.

• Like 1

I'm the same with lollipop and 5.1 I don't like the pastel flat look, ive modded my G3 LP back to look like ICS on my G3 (black), its also what put me off a HTC M8, I want it colourful and almost exploding with colour out of the screen, the HTC and other handsets I considered all looked the same (kind of wishy washy).

Only the G3 screen looked colourful, almost as good as my old Note1 OMLED screen. (yes I know the G3 is an IPS) and had the size of screen and specs I wished for at less than half the price of the note4. for my use, it was a no-brainer.

@OP glad to made the switch, the Z3 is not a bad phone at all. very similar in spec to the G3, I'm no Sony fan in general, but their handsets are well produced.

Trusting either is absurd in my opinion, their only goal is to take as much money from me as possible and neither has the slightest concern for what I like. Merely how best to exploit me. That's not really something to get fangirlish/fanboyish over.

As someone who's sat in on and/or participated in a lot of software design exercises, I learned pretty quickly that this stereotypical POV of angry end-users is one of the big PR battles that companies will need to figure out some day. The fact of the matter is, most consumer software is absolutely designed with the users wants/needs in mind. A lot of assumptions are made in the process (it just isn't feasible to collaboratively design entire products with end-users), sure, but good studios will plan out their product from day one based on thinking very deeply about their target audience, who those people are, what those people do, how those people use products that already exist, and what can be changed to give those users better experiences. It is, in fact, good business to be pro-customer.

Unfortunately, a lot of people look at every feature they don't like as a justification for throwing their hands in the air and saying it exists because companies just don't care/pay attention.

^^ While most apps start out with user experience in mind, they quickly get corrupted with nagware/adware with the intention of getting your money/personal info and the app quality goes down the drain.

Windows Phone 8/10 currently feels like made for people to only pay for apps from App store and not for actual usage of their mobiles.

@RandPC: You know what got me confused...Right when the original Windows 8 came out, I rushed out and bought a Windows 7 laptop because I was afraid the Windows 8 laptops would be flooding the stores. i got burned a bit because it wasn't before I got it home that I discovered that it doesn't have a DVD drive in it! I have gotten around that inconvenience ok. But the problem is that it came with the regular standard BIOS and now if I decide I want to upgrade to Windows 10 I don't know if I can do that. "Supposedly" there is a way around this but I haven't discovered that yet. Meanwhile I was reading that if you buy a computer with Windows 10 preloaded that it is up to the manufacturer to decide whether or not Secure Boot can be disabled.

Secure Boot--Another Microsoft boondoggle.

It can be gotten around rather easily - neither my desktop OR my legacy notebook support UEFI, and I've installed the Technical Previews one of two ways - either via online (Windows Update) or via USB - I haven't had to burn a DVD through the entire testing phase so far.

Secure Boot was, in fact, about security (especially against rootkits) - or have we forgotten the outright RAGE over Sony music CDs that included them? There Microsoft (as the most likely business target) actually does something about it, and the users whine and rage over them actually doing something. Had a third-party actually managed to get a rootkit into OS install media, Microsoft would have been proven right; but users would have STILL savaged Microsoft regardless. "Whip me, beat me - make me write bad checks! But please, don't take away my ease of use, even if it leaves me vulnerable to malware."

Because too many folks STILL treat security as an inconvenience, they will work around it - if they are allowed to. That is, in fact, the biggest reason that enterprise security is very much regulatory-driven, as corporate security is just as driven.

It can be gotten around rather easily - neither my desktop OR my legacy notebook support UEFI, and I've installed the Technical Previews one of two ways - either via online (Windows Update) or via USB - I haven't had to burn a DVD through the entire testing phase so far.

Secure Boot was, in fact, about security (especially against rootkits) - or have we forgotten the outright RAGE over Sony music CDs that included them? There Microsoft (as the most likely business target) actually does something about it, and the users whine and rage over them actually doing something. Had a third-party actually managed to get a rootkit into OS install media, Microsoft would have been proven right; but users would have STILL savaged Microsoft regardless. "Whip me, beat me - make me write bad checks! But please, don't take away my ease of use, even if it leaves me vulnerable to malware."

Because too many folks STILL treat security as an inconvenience, they will work around it - if they are allowed to. That is, in fact, the biggest reason that enterprise security is very much regulatory-driven, as corporate security is just as driven.

Yes, I understand. I was just frustrated. My only beef is, for the consumer, why not give them an option? An enterprise version, yes. But a consumer is told that something's not compatible by an upgrade advisor might go out and by a new PC for no reason. 

Yes, I understand. I was just frustrated. My only beef is, for the consumer, why not give them an option? An enterprise version, yes. But a consumer is told that something's not compatible by an upgrade advisor might go out and by a new PC for no reason. 

• 1 month later...

It's not mandatory.  Even on prebuilts (such as mom's Pavilion AIO) it can be turned off.  (In fact, I HAD to turn it off to correct a device-driver goof by the OEM (HP) concerning the Ethernet adapter - they installed the driver for the Fast Ethernet - not gigabit - version of the RealTek adapter.)  Baby Pavilion, on the other hand, has a semi-UEFI option - unlike the older Big Pavilion, it's AMD from CPU to GPU, including the north and southbridges.  HP used a Phoenix Insyde BIOS of the semi-UEFI sort for their Vista and 7-era AMD-driven notebooks - Big Pavilion is Vista-era, while Baby Pavilion is 7-era.  The System Diagnostic portion is UEFI, while System Information and Settings is "standard Phoenix BIOS". (What's rather hi8larious is that Phoenix - which had earlier acquired Award - another BIOS OEM of major repute - was itself acquired by Intel (AKA Chipzilla) prior to the deal with HP (and similar deals with Dell and other OEMs).  So in the case of one of my two notebooks - the older one - it's a real honest "Frankenbook"; Intel BIOS, AMD CPU, and NVidia GPU.)