Windows XP nostalgia

Due to icon changes that, Windows 2000 is the last time Classic mode was consistent, however I miss the option to have it even now in Windows 8.1

• 3 months later...

Windows Me was a joke, it was so crash prone that I (and most people i knew) could not last a week with it.

Unbelievable, that it was released in the state it was.   No machine was immune to crashing.

Actually I loved ME, never had any problems with it, but then I was running it on a 'top of the line' k6-III 450 with 384mb of ram and a rage pro AGP on the first system, and a 1ghz Athlon, 384mb DDR and a radeon 9650 (later upgraded with a x850AGP.) and 33.6k ISA modem until I went broadband and got an ISA 10mb ethernet card.  I didnt use pci for net cards as most were software based and back then every cpucycle counted.  Hardware-controller based network cards were a must.  I ran 95 on the k6-III which was a k5 133 when it was first built, and ME was a nice step up from 95.

I still run ME in a VM for old games.

ME hates crappy hardware, and runs best on AMD processors.  It needs a true hardware 3d accelerated gpu with at least 4mb of memory on the card if you want a trouble-free system.

XP was awesome.  I was slow to upgrade from ME as some apps werent nt-friendly so it wasnt until I got an Athlon xp-1800+ and 512mb of ram that I made the switch.
initially It took a little getting used to the new GUI but as soon as I got a feel for it, I was really impressed.  I still run XP on a dedicated game machine (phenomII955BE 4gb ram radeon HD5850).
XP has been the workhorse on all my machines since I migrated from ME, but now my main system runs win7.  I skipped vista completely, running XP until 7 came out.
dont like 8-8.1 but in time 10 will probably be the new 7 as 7 is the new XP now.

speaking of nostalgia, who else remembers the AM486dx66, Win3.11, and VESA localbus.