Official Star Trek vs Star Wars

The Intergalactic Battle  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek or Star Wars?

• Star Trek
    • Star Wars
  2. 2. Which movies did you like? (select all you liked)

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
    • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
    • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
    • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
    • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
    • Star Trek Generations (1994)
    • Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
    • Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
    • Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
    • Star Trek (2009)
    • Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
    • Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
    • Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
    • Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    • Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope/ Star Wars (1977)
    • Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back/The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi/Return of the Jedi (1983)
    • Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
    • None
  3. 3. What about TV Series? (Select all you liked)

• Star Trek The Original Series (TOS)
    • Star Trek The Animated Series (TAS)
    • Star Trek The Next Generation (TNG)
    • Star Trek Deep Space Nine (DS9)
    • Star Trek Voyager (VOY)
    • Star Trek: Enterprise (ENT)
    • Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003)
    • Star Wars: Droids
    • Star Wars: Ewoks
    • Star Wars Detours
    • Star Wars Rebels
    • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)
    • None

Star Wars for me.

Now, which of you fools have liked Star Trek V and Star Wars I - III? Own up. 

Star Trek V wasn't bad, at least they could act and there was a coherent story.  I'd be more ashamed of admitting to like the prequels :p

Star Wars III was reasonable, certainly better than the terrible I-II. There's no excuse for liking Star Trek V though.  :p

"Excuse me, but what does God need with a starship?" is excuse enough to like V. :)

• Like 5

Star Trek V wasn't bad, at least they could act and there was a coherent story.  I'd be more ashamed of admitting to like the prequels :p

While the prequels weren't as good as the classic saga, 1 & 3 were decent. I just wish they'd spent a little more time on casting Anakin - Hayden was the single worst thing about the entire Star Wars series. He's pretty much the male Kristen Stewart.

And the directing was subpar - if you can't get a decent performance out of Natalie Portman, you have no business calling yourself a director.

• 2 weeks later...

You left out the best installment of Star Wars, the Holiday Special! Well, it was better than Attack of the Clones, at least. :rofl:

But really the best Star Wars movie is Spaceballs!

Of course, neither Trek nor Wars can hold a candle to Doctor Who.

Church

wpid-photo-feb-27-2013-411-pm.jpg

FTW

• Like 2

wars-vs-trek.jpg

AS per above Star Trek is the winner but I like Star Wars as it is the same but different. As long as we do not mention the holiday special  wookies!! :D

Yeah anything that can disintigrate gets my vote :laugh:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys or gals!

Please check out this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYhjAXIAro

Enjoy this video!

I picked Star Wars, but juuust barely. I really like both.

I also don't mind Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars and actually liked 2 and 3. I find Episode 3 was even better then Episode 4. And to make this make more sense: 6,5,3,4,2,1 is the order in which I like my Star Wars. I'm very excited for the new ones.

I liked the new Star Trek movies as well as First Contact was a favorite while growing up. I think DS9 is more interesting then TNG but I like both. I've not seen any Star Trek movie before "First Contact", and I really have no inclination to do so. I've seen quite a bit of the Original series and I find it a bit boring.

I like the gentle nature of Star Trek and the philosophy of it but I also enjoy the BOOM BOOM BAM of Star Wars. For the most part I watch TV/Movies to not think, so it's only a matter of slightly preferring the action of Star Wars.

Also.... Picard, by far.

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars, obviously.

I have always had a problem with Star Trek, because the show is based on a premise that would never happen. Therefore, I could never buy into the universe or any of the storylines. It just felt "fake" to me, for lack of a better term.

Star Wars, obviously.

I have always had a problem with Star Trek, because the show is based on a premise that would never happen. Therefore, I could never buy into the universe or any of the storylines. It just felt "fake" to me, for lack of a better term.

Star Wars is also "fake", more so then Star Trek. Star Trek has scientific theory built into the storyline.

When I was younger I liked Star Wars more, the epic lightsaber battles, podracing and characters like R2D2, C-3PO & Jar Jar Binks appealed more to the younger me.

However since my late teens i've enjoyed Star Trek a lot more. I like Star Trek better for the scientific theory behind it, of the two series it seems more "real" if you can really say that about either. I enjoy series which each span 100's of episodes, you can really get in to Star Trek and spend months watching an episode or two on an evening, getting to know the cast a lot more than you do in six movies.

Star Wars is also "fake", more so then Star Trek. Star Trek has scientific theory built into the storyline.

I'll concede that Star Trek definitely spends more time explaining the "science" behind things, and in that sense it could be considered less "fake". But let's be real. It's still science fiction.

However, even before diving into the science of the two, Star Trek is predicated on an implausible premise: after humanity discovers practical interstellar travel and makes first contact it overcomes its murderous, greedy nature and develops a money-free society that values knowledge and sacrifice with an unprecedented level of cooperation. Where people do their jobs not for personal wealth or stature, but for the advancement of the whole race. I'm sorry, but that is just totally unbelievable.

Humanity wouldn't just drop their generations-old prejudices, racism, mistrust, and religions. I don't see us cooperating with alien races when we can't even cooperate with ourselves.

I also find it hard to believe that people would have the motivation and conviction to choose to work manual labor, boring, dangerous, or otherwise "dirty" jobs for nothing more than self-satisfaction and duty. Life on a federation starship looks mighty cool, but let's not pretend that there still aren't necessary jobs like: janitors, miners, farmers, and sanitation either on ships or planets. Yeah there is probably a lot of useful technology to help out with all of those things, but there will always need to be actual people in those positions no matter how good the technology gets. I just can't see someone saying, "Mom, Dad, I'm joining the Federation!" "That's great son, what do you want to do once you're an officer?" "I want to run the garbage deck!"

Oh, and Q. Don't even get me started on him.

Granted Star Wars is more science fantasy, but its universe is way more plausible in my opinion; even counting The Force.

• 8 months later...

Wondering if someone could add The Force Awakens to the poll, it was pretty awesome to see SW back on the big screens!

4 minutes ago, Ian S. said:

Wondering if someone could add The Force Awakens to the poll, it was pretty awesome to see SW back on the big screens!

Done, I think. Since I haven't voted I don't know if the 2 votes for "none" carried across.

EDIT: Oh, they did. Neat!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shocked that more people haven't voted for Trek:TAS. Maybe most people haven't seen it? It had all but one member of the original cast, many of the original writers, and told very sophisticated stories for a cartoon of its time - and even for a cartoon of this time! IMO it's one of the better incarnations of Trek, certainly better than Voyager or Enterprise. If nothing else, it finishes out the original 5 year mission nicely.

I think TAS was considered non-canon by Paramount for a while, until pressure from fans made them reconsider.

• 1 month later...

I've been going back to watch Enterprise episodes (skipped to the Xindi arc), they aren't great, but still good.

• 1 month later...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens, of course :p I loved watching that, and it was the first Star Wars I actually sat and watched and paid attention too (please don't hunt me down anyone...).