100049.... any point...?

I see we are still clinging to the myth that there are internal builds at Ms which are magically far advanced and have lots of new features. If they had them, they'd be shown, at least in public events. What we see today in the TP is what Win 10 will more or less be, with some cleanup and visual changes. I'd be very surprised (in a good way, but I don't expect it) if they had major features not shown yet.

Remember when MS said in Nov the Jan 21 CP (9926) would have actual user features, and we got nothing new?

BWahahahahahahahahaha.....

I just went to take a look at spartan, and it won't even start because it is a metro app and it won't start with uac turned off.

Bravo microsoft, bravo...!!! :rolleyes:

Well why did you disable UAC to begin with? I see UAC maybe once a day, if that. It's not like in Vista where it popped up for anything requiring elevated privileges.

• Like 2

100049 is actually the reason I went back to 8.1. Explorer was so buggy, I couldn't open any folders, and IE/Spartan had some seriously weird scrolling issues that made the internet unusable. No local file access, no internet, and the GPU drivers constantly crashed meant 100049 turned my PC into a paperweight.

I see we are still clinging to the myth that there are internal builds at Ms which are magically far advanced and have lots of new features. If they had them, they'd be shown, at least in public events. What we see today in the TP is what Win 10 will more or less be, with some cleanup and visual changes. I'd be very surprised (in a good way, but I don't expect it) if they had major features not shown yet.

Remember when MS said in Nov the Jan 21 CP (9926) would have actual user features, and we got nothing new?

Clinging to what? Like a said before, TP builds are not the state of progress of different branches of windows 10. We saw early stuff in oct\dec that where not in TP until march. 

Pretty sure most of the features are pretty much announce. IE: spartan\dx12\cortana\taskview\notification center\universal apps\bio-metric log in\ rework of  all windows app\etc.

The only thing they haven't shown is dark and light theme.  More work on the UI and full screen start screen. If interactive titles will be in this version of windows. I have a feeling Build2015 will be start screen centric keynote. 

Jan 21 release was NOT CP and cortana\xaml start screen\dx12 was added to that 9926 TP bulid...

Most complaints are usually towards the UI and start screen\menu anyways. 

If you're in windows 10 preview, of course your going to be a beta testing past RTM.  Opt out of windows 10 preview and you'll receive more stable refined updates.  

ROFL. I'm not looking for 'stable' and "refined updates". I'm looking for some glimmer of progress, because right now we haven't seen didly squat. In fact, and others agree, we are looking at an almost feature complete Windows 10.

ROFL. I'm not looking for 'stable' and "refined updates". I'm looking for some glimmer of progress, because right now we haven't seen didly squat. In fact, and others agree, we are looking at an almost feature complete Windows 10.

What you quoted has nothing to do with your statement , in regarding your source that no one cared or even asked about.

What features\progress are you looking for?

Do I expect any big features announce besides what they already have?No, not really. Build 2015 is MS biggest event of the year and sure it will be focus on UI stuff like interact-able tiles (if its going to be in this version), light\dark theme and start screen.  

If the features you want are aero and old start menu... LMAO GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! Maybe you should just stick to windows 7 or look else where. 

Maybe you don't expect any new features in 'the biggest Windows release' according to MS, the rest of us do. As it stands, Win 8 was a much bigger release with tons of features, Win 10 is actually more like Win 8.1 SP2.

Not talking about minor stuff like Aero/start menu, real features of the same calibre as a new Explorer/Task Manager, new FS, new Windows account system etc, just a few of the things Win 8 added.

• Like 2

From the business perspective of those who are running older systems looking to upgrade, it can be seen as reassurance that they aren't buying into planned obsolescence. In other words, the incentive of a free upgrade to Windows 10 means my clients won't forgo upgrading their systems now while they are on XP. The same can be said for anyone really.

That is, in fact, one reason I've been focusing my testing on older hardware - not everyone can (or wants to) purchase new hardware.

Too many folks (not unique to 10, or even to Windows for that matter) are thinking new operating systems REQUIRE new hardware.  What makes such thinking silly (in terms of Windows in particular) is that Windows is also sold as an upgrade for existing hardware - as opposed to Macs, iOS, Android, or even Windows Phone, a greater percentage of Windows sales are upgrades, as opposed to OEMware.

While some systems may indeed be "too old" to run Windows 10 (despite being in the same hardware range-gate), they still need to be evaluated on an individual basis - as opposed to making blanket assumptions - which can be absolutely wrong.

(That very possibility - the one of being absolutely wrong - applies to BOTH of my legacy notebooks; both of which are now running Windows 10 build 10049; this is despite the newer of the two dating back to Windows 7.  The canard is doubtless being asked "Why would I replace Windows 7 on a legacy notebook?"  My answer is surprising, and one that - had I followed the old line of thinking - I would have missed; a truly MOBILE development platform.  The ex-7 notebook supports a feature that requires a newer OS than 7 - Extended Page Tables - a requirement to leverage Hyper-V in Windows 8 and later.  The CPU in question is the AMD Turion II - the dual-core mobile spinoff of the Athlon II and Phenom.  However, would I have found that out without doing proper due diligence?  The answer is, of course, an emphatic "no".  In fact, to hit the ground running in terms of mobile development, other than Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, I need add Visual Studio 2013 Community or later (cost - none).  That's it.  The very epitomy of "basement development" - and it can be done not merely on the cheap - but by scouting for usable castoffs; basically on the free, not merely cheap.)

Result of doing due-diligence on legacy hardware - a new-to-me dedicated development platform that is as mobile as the development targets (Android, Windows for phones, and even RT) for skull-sweat equity.  That's what I get for not making assumptions.

Maybe you don't expect any new features in 'the biggest Windows release' according to MS, the rest of us do. As it stands, Win 8 was a much bigger release with tons of features, Win 10 is actually more like Win 8.1 SP2.

Not talking about minor stuff like Aero/start menu, real features of the same calibre as a new Explorer/Task Manager, new FS, new Windows account system etc, just a few of the things Win 8 added.Min

Minor stuff like aero and start menu?

We haven't seen major changes to explorer since the addition of ribbon. I do agree windows 8 did add many new features for the tablet users, not so much for desktop experience. Which I'm perfectly fine with and installed windows 8 from the get go. Even tho i didn't have a tablet or touch screen base windows machine. 

Not talking about minor stuff like Aero/start menu, real features of the same calibre as a new Explorer/Task Manager, new FS, new Windows account system etc, just a few of the things Win 8 added.

I must agree with this, Defcon. What is particularly sad is that there really are no detailed blog posts about the new features in Windows 10, unlike when Windows 8 was being developed. It seems like every new feature in Windows 8

I must agree with this, Defcon. What is particularly sad is that there really are no detailed blog posts about the new features in Windows 10, unlike when Windows 8 was being developed. It seems like every new feature in Windows 8

• Like 3

Ian W., too many of the same technical folks that would DO posts like that are instead dedicating time and effort to "click-bait" (if not outright FUD-laden) pieces on various blogs pigeonholing Windows 8 and later to hardware that supports touch (as opposed to all the killer features that all hardware can take advantage of).

Which is quite unfortunate.

1.  ISO mounting (which began with Windows 8 itself).

IMHO one of the best features in Windows 8.x.

3.  Larger pointers (benefits all users of pointing devices - not just mice).

I've argued this point again and again and again. The interface tried to treat all forms of input

Sure, they're now asking for feedback, but are they listening to any of it? No, they're not.

I disagree. There have been a few changes they've made that were then reverted based on feedback. Hell, you could say the whole of Windows 10 is a response to feedback so I find your argument kind of ironic.

I disagree. There have been a few changes they've made that were then reverted based on feedback. Hell, you could say the whole of Windows 10 is a response to feedback so I find your argument kind of ironic.

Yeah, okay. Go have a perusal through the Microsoft Answers forum, the trending feedback in the Feedback App and lastly Windows Uservoice. Go through every single one of the complaints or requests users have submitted and show me every single one that Microsoft has acted upon and not ignored. I'll wait.

Yeah, okay. Go have a perusal through the Microsoft Answers forum, the trending feedback in the Feedback App and lastly Windows Uservoice. Go through every single one of the complaints or requests users have submitted and show me every single one that Microsoft has acted upon and not ignored. I'll wait.

No thanks.

This is exactly why I laugh at anyone making the claim that this is a 'new' Microsoft. I'd argue there's actually less transparency in the development of Windows 10 than there was with 8. During 8's development we received extremely detailed blog posts on the MSDN Building Windows 8 blog you've linked to above, justifying their decisions. 

This time around? We have a very marketing word heavy and non technical Windows Blog hosted on the marketing side of the company's website. Sure, they're now asking for feedback, but are they listening to any of it? No, they're not.

I've used bold text for emphasis. I couldn't have said it better myself. IMHO, the thoroughly detailed and technical blog posts have been replaced with what are essentially . . . advertisements.

There is another side to this that I believe many overlook. Notice the emphasis on telemetry in many of the Windows 8 blog posts? Windows 10 requires the Customer Experience Improvement Program, which allows the company to collect data based on operating system use, hardware, et cetera. In spite of this thorough data collection, perhaps on a larger scale than in Windows 8, I am not aware of Microsoft sharing any of this data with us! This is completely opposite from how Windows 8 was developed.

• 2 weeks later...

Which is quite unfortunate.

IMHO one of the best features in Windows 8.x.

I've argued this point again and again and again. The interface tried to treat all forms of input

I mean other than spartan, which I have zero interest in and would never use anyway, is there any thing else actually different than 10041...???

Thanks.

Well in 10054 Spartan is the only browser available. They give you you an option to run  in IE but Spartan is the default.

Well in 10054 Spartan is the only browser available. They give you you an option to run  in IE but Spartan is the default.

Assuming you meant build 10056?

Also, in 10056, Internet Explorer is definitely still available - Start -> All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer.  You can pin it to your Start screen or your Taskbar if you like.

There is a reason for that, actually.  Look at 10056 in isolation - NOT as a be-all end-all.  (Remember - 10056 was aimed at Partners - NOT Insiders.)

Spartan needed wider compatibility testing before being let loose on Insiders.  (And there are some sites that will never be Spartan-compatible - ever; the handoff to IE also needed testing.)

The reason for both is that some folks WILL use Spartan - not IE - as default; not even all Windows 8.1 users have IE as default.  (Therefore, you have to test Spartan-as-default.)

Assuming you meant build 10056?

Also, in 10056, Internet Explorer is definitely still available - Start -> All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer.  You can pin it to your Start screen or your Taskbar if you like.

I ment 10051 which I looked for IE and couldn't find. I did notice in Spartan there was an option to Open in IE.

I ment 10051 which I looked for IE and couldn't find. I did notice in Spartan there was an option to Open in IE.

Oh, well yep, it's there in 10051, too.  All apps -> Windows Accessories. Or just start typing in "Inter..." into the Search Bar.  (Y)