Redirected folders not searchable

Have roaming profiles and folder redirection setup.

Redirected folders (such as documents) aren't searchable on several clients. All sharing and folder permissions were setup according to best practices (as far as I remember). Search works fine on other folders of course. 

You need to take ownership of those folders, apply permissions to administrators (or any other group or users that you wish to have access to those folders), then give back ownership to the original user. 

I have not found any other way around that.

That didn't make any difference. The only users I want accessing their own folders are the ones with the roaming and redirected profile anyway. 

You need to take ownership of those folders, apply permissions to administrators (or any other group or users that you wish to have access to those folders), then give back ownership to the original user. 

I have not found any other way around that.

That's the method I use also. Im surprised it didn't work for the op.

That didn't make any difference. The only users I want accessing their own folders are the ones with the roaming and redirected profile anyway.

You say you can't search them, can you open any of the redirected folders on the server or do you receive "permission denied"?

The root folder I can view as well as some of the sub folders (one user's V2 folder won't allow viewing, I did not try altering permissions for that one). None of the personal folders such as documents allow viewing which is as intended. I can search and it will return name of the folder. This is logged in as a domain admin that has no redirected folders but is a member of administrators.

How are you specifying the roaming profile location, AD or through GP? I recommend using GP..

Also have you set the correct folder permissions on the profiles folder?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2e3d27cf-38ec-433d-8bee-2a69a73871a5/how-to-setup-roaming-profiles-in-server-2008?forum=winservergen

^ A link I found in my favourites, looks familiar and looks to have the info that might help you in regards to security permissions. 

Lemme remember what permissions I set on our profiles at work and I'll get back to you. I can browse all user profile folders without granting permission to myself. Lemme sleep on it\look at work tomorrow.

Profiles are done via GP. AFAIK this is the same setup I've had for years and never had this problem before. Just tried setting Roamprofileroot\User to administrators then back to user again with no change.

If you would like a second set of eyes we can do a teamviewer session.  Perhaps I can identify something going on.  pm me teamviewer info if you would like.

perhaps you need to add the location to the index..

The easiest way to add something to the index is to include a folder in a library. When you do that, the content in that folder is automatically indexed.

You can also add something to the index without using libraries. To add or remove an index location:

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

2. Click Modify.

3. To add or remove a location, select or clear its check box in the Change selected locations list, and then click OK.

If you don't see all locations on your computer in the list, click Show all locations. (If all locations are listed, Show all locations won't be available.) 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you want to include a folder but not all of its subfolders, click the folder, and then clear the check box next to any subfolder that you don't want to index. These folders will appear in the Exclude column of the Summary of selected locations list.

• 4 weeks later...

Late reply but just started looking into this again. The files are indexed.

I have looked over best practices for folder redirection and it looks like everything is in order. For a test folder I granted ownership to an administrator, then granted it back top user with no effect. Is there anything I can do aside from nuking all user folders and starting from scratch?