A way to store all your USB Memory Sticks.

People are still using USB sticks ?

Is this an advantage instead of an external HDD ?

my mind = blown :s

USB sticks are still very relevant, if this is what it takes to blow your mind you're in for a few shocks in your life.

USB sticks are still very relevant, if this is what it takes to blow your mind you're in for a few shocks in your life.

Or maybe more . :laugh:

I can't get it ... Why would someone use a storage device [ I assume , with a capacity until 32 GB ] when a portable HDD has already came up with at least 10x more GB ?

My classmates are still acomplished with their 500 GB - 1 TB external HDD's ...

I can't get it ... Why would someone use a storage device [ I assume , with a capacity until 32 GB ] when a portable HDD has already came up with at least 10x more GB ?

USB flash drives are way more portable, and some are much faster than your traditional external HDD. Not sure if you're living in 2005, but you can get USB flash drives with large capacities (256 GB, 512 GB, 1 TB). They do get expensive at that point. You can get a 128 GB flash drive for around $30+ these days. NAS is the way to go, and cloud storage is popular these days too. I haven't touched my external HDD's in years, they are way more irrelevant than USB flash drives. 

• Like 2

Excuse me ?

He said, OS installations, PE environments & firmware upgrades.

USB sticks are still massively used and very useful. I work in IT and without them moving data around between LAN's/Domains would be a nightmare. No need for huge external HDD's so we stick to 500Gb pen drives. They also come in handy for loads of other things as already mentioned.

People are still using USB sticks ?

Is this an advantage instead of an external HDD ?

my mind = blown :s

A lot of mine have Write protection switches. I won't put any stick in a customer's computer that doesn't have one. Unless i'm booting off a bartPE or linux

• Like 3

They are used a lot in business because they hold like a million office documents.. i know people who have their entire digital life on 4GB usb sticks (i know this because they try to kill themselves after coming to me with a snapped USB connector :laugh: and no additional backups). and they have lots of uses for IT tasks like installing OS and things already mentioned.

They fit on keychains, lanyards etc.

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-USB-Type-A-Female-4-Pin-PCB-Mount-Socket-Plug-Connector-Right-Angle-New-/161335091163

Buy a set of these for $4, expoxy them to a block of wood and you have the same thing,  No need to spend $25 and waste a perfectly good hub.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Still don't get why people are making such a big deal over $25.  Some of you guys make it sound like he spent $1000 on it.

• Like 1

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-USB-Type-A-Female-4-Pin-PCB-Mount-Socket-Plug-Connector-Right-Angle-New-/161335091163

Buy a set of these for $4, expoxy them to a block of wood and you have the same thing,  No need to spend $25 and waste a perfectly good hub.

That is a very good idea, I may try that.

Still don't get why people are making such a big deal over $25.  Some of you guys make it sound like he spent $1000 on it.

I know right?

• Like 1

Better yet, here's those same sockets for $1.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10PCS-High-Quality-USB-Short-Female-Type-A-Female-Socket-Connector-NEW-IT00255-/271422633585?

Just because you don't have a use for a USB drive doesn't mean the other thousands/millions of people shouldn't be using them.

Just because you don't have a use for a USB drive doesn't mean the other thousands/millions of people shouldn't be using them.

There are a lot of people who won't use them , because those sticks will have a lack of their usable software and hardware , sooner or later [ surely , sooner , rather than later ] .

I had a(n) 8GB USB Stick which worth 10$ and I haven't used it so much but it got burned ... after few months too .

I've had worse luck with hard drives than USB drives, but to each their own.

By the way ... about this luck ...

Is my [ our ] fault as user(s) for stick's period of using ?

Devices nowadays are designed to be removable.  I think the important thing is that the system isn't reading or writing (especially writing!) anything from the drive at the time it gets unplugged.

Devices nowadays are designed to be removable.  I think the important thing is that the system isn't reading or writing (especially writing!) anything from the drive at the time it gets unplugged.

The stick wasn't used for [ reading / writing ] something on the moment when I plugget it out from PC .

The stick wasn't used [ reading / writing ] something on it when I plugget it out from PC .

then forget about it.   i have not used the "eject" command of any USB drive since years ago (when my iMac complained a lot)

with PC, i never had a issue.

And the USB memory sticks are still fine ?

As Jimmy said, forget about it.... 

Most USB Sticks are fine these days ...  you don't have to eject it before unplug it.   You can unplug/plug it anytime if you want.

I have iMac but it doesn't complain as Jimmy stated.

You seem like you worry too much about it.

For me, it's not so much the $25, it's more about wasting the capability of the hub.  Sure you can use it as a hub if you pull out all of the thumb drives but then where do you store them in the mean time?

As Jimmy said, forget about it.... 

Most USB Sticks are fine these days ...  you don't have to eject it before unplug it.   You can unplug/plug it anytime if you want.

I have iMac but it doesn't complain as Jimmy stated.

You seem like you worry too much about it.

That's my personality .