WARNING ! Outlook for iOS let me see someone else's folder

I installed Outlook for iOS two days ago, seeing how it allows you to link your cloud storage and send email with attachments using fewer clicks.

I linked it to my Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive accounts.

The following morning, I go into my OneDrive in Outlook and see a Spanish-named folder with someone's photos in it ! Harmless photos from some hiking trip in the mountains, but I am pretty sure that person did not intend for me to see them. It is even more worrying to think that if I had access to their data, someone else may have gotten access to mine. Way to go, Microsoft !

Btw I deleted my account on Outlook and couldn't reconnect it, even though I select Outlook.com and provide my hotmail account details, it tells me "you must select Google as provider" so something is seriously borked with Outlook for iOS on MS end. My OneDrive app is working just fine, but now I am really concerned with integrity of my personal data.

Here's the screenshot. All files and folders are mine with exception of "PEDRIZA" one and the photo is one of the many in that folder. 

As of today, I did not get any replies to the Support request I sent to MS from the program, nor was my review (explaining this situation) ever posted to iTunes.

This makes me wonder if using OneNote is such a great idea. I have a lot of info in it and absolutely would not like it if someone else got it accidentally linked to their OneDrive.

699d4ec5942c.jpg

I think you should blur out the hiking photo for privacy concerns. They may have shared the files with you by accident in an email attachment or some other form of cloud sharing.

• Like 3

Don't think this is Microsoft's fault.

I think you should blur out the hiking photo for privacy concerns. They may have shared the files with you by accident in an email attachment or some other form of cloud sharing.

Agreed, would you have liked it if someone else gained access to your photos and were publicly posting them?

Very interesting - I use the Outlook app, but only have my work email synced to this app. I'd be curious to see what your resolution is. 

who's fault do you suggest it is?

The person who shared the folder by accident? Although it could be their fault with the OneDrive backend, not the Outlook for iOS app which was Acompli. 

who's fault do you suggest it is?

I would guess the person who shared these typed the wrong address, if this works like Dropbox does. In Dropbox, I can share a folder with someone if I enter his/hers email address. 

Looks to me like a case of someone sharing something to the wrong person.

There also used to be a thing were spammers would share crap to your skydrive (pictures of girls) and they would just start showing up in the 'shared with you' area. I think they dealt with that.

I would guess the person who shared these typed the wrong address, if this works like Dropbox does. In Dropbox, I can share a folder with someone if I enter his/hers email address. 

oh ya, i didn't notice it was a share, I thought the OP was suggesting it was a coding error. Sorry.

1) I deleted my OneDrive account details from Outlook app and couldn't then reconnect Outlook to OneDrive without it asking for my Google (yes, Google) account password. I ended up just removing it from my tablet. Something was seriously off there,

2) That person's folder was not visible via either OneDrive for iOS, or the OneDrive web browser interface. It would only show in Outlook for iOS. Which is why I think the error is somewhere on MS end, the way in which it connects Outlook for iOS to user data. If that person accidentally shared these photos with me, they would show up in all OneDrive clients. Not just Outlook for iOS.

3) I didnt think posting that screenshot as a proof was infringing on that other person's privacy as the photo itself does not seem to be private, but if the consensus is that it is not appropriate to post here, I will remove it.

oh ya, i didn't notice it was a share, I thought the OP was suggesting it was a coding error. Sorry.

Yes this is exactly what I suggested. This was not a share, the folder did not appear in my OneDrive when using the web browser interface, nor could I see it when using OneDrive app for iOS. I could only see the folder using Outlook for iOS.

As it stands, I never received any replies from MS and my review describing this issue was never published to iTunes. Looks like MS refuses to acknowledge the problem, and Apple is helping them. Anyway, I decided to stick with Onenote for now, utilizing password protected sections for anything even remotely sensitive (I just don't have a good alternative, Evernote has it's own issues), and stop putting any documents in OneDrive that I wouldn't want the world to see.

Resolved - this is my mistake.

That person must have inadvertently shared their photos with me. In OneDrive they are hidden under "Shared" icon which I never ever use. In Outlook for iOS, they showed up among my regular folders and caught my attention.

Moderators - please delete the thread or change the subject, this was an issue on my end.