Half Life 2: Update

A completely free and extensive community-developed update for Half-Life 2 featuring beautiful lighting, countless bug fixes, and a brand new Community Commentary Mode. With Half-Life 2: Update, there

Whoa! I was just playing HL2 again and noticing how modern the game looks considering it's eleven years old. Cant wait to try this mod :)

why? the cinematic mod is awesome already. if you have not played it, you MUST.     feels like a familiar, but all together different game :)

(if you don't like the new character design, it is surely optional, as well, everything else is very customizable - but besides character models, i love all the improvements they did)

What is Cinematic Mod?

Cinematic Mod (CM) is a Half-Life 2 modification, that adds more details and a darker look to the original Half-Life 2 series.

Purpose of Cinematic Mod
  • Raise the quite outdated graphical appearance to a state-of-the-art level
  • Give the HL2 trilogy a more stressed, darker and minatory look
  • Complement the atmosphere with an emotional cinematic music soundtrack, that fits the action on the screen
  • Replace the low-resolution textures with high resolution counterparts and more detailed environments (hires melons!)
  • Complement the storyline with the unused content from the original games
  • Refresh the look and feel with optional new HD models
  • Add more replay value

http://cinematicmod.com/

Unless, of course, you want to play exacty the some game as before, with updates, that just mildly improve, but really just make a slightly better visually and less buggy game.

if you want a whole new look and music yet the same gameplay, get cinematic mod. 

depends on how purist you are.... ;)      i LOVE my cinematic mod playthough a LOT (HL+HL:EP1+2).   and they keep on improving it all the time.  this new verison is even better then the one i played a while back.

might even give it another go.      this update seems to change nothing other then imrove it a bit,  so i will skip, as i replayed original 3-4 times already, and i like a different experence (visual and musical)

why? the cinematic mod is awesome already. if you have not played it, you MUST.     feels like a familiar, but all together different game :)

(if you don't like the new character design, it is surely optional, as well, everything else is very customizable - but besides character models, i love all the improvements they did)

http://cinematicmod.com/

I wanted to check it out, but it requires also HL: Ep1 and Ep2... I'll try it when I buy them

Poor form to post that here dude, HL2U is supposed to be a faithful upres - not be FAKEFACTORY's personal fap fantasy, let the mod have it's 5 minutes spotlight.

why?  i really enjoyed it.  and there is a lot more to it, then sexy (and potentially nude) character models...

the whole game feels totally different. i am letting people who are looking to replay HL2 that there is something out there

that lets them relive the amazing HL2 world in totally different and new light, in case they did not know. with totally new soundtrack and effects.

i am sure HL2U is awesome, and i will play it for sure, next time i decided to play HL2 (which i will most likely do, if HL3 does not appear in another year or too) 

but for people coming back to it, i like them to know there are other (extensive in the scale) updates/mods.

why?  i really enjoyed it.  and there is a lot more to it, then sexy (and potentially nude) character models...

the whole game feels totally different. i am letting people who are looking to replay HL2 that there is something out there

that lets them relive the amazing HL2 world in totally different and new light, in case they did not know. with totally new soundtrack and effects.

i am sure HL2U is awesome, and i will play it for sure, next time i decided to play HL2 (which i will most likely do, if HL3 does not appear in another year or too) 

but for people coming back to it, i like them to know there are other (extensive in the scale) updates/mods.

This is why, [NSFW]

http://i.imgur.com/dEPHDM1.jpg

This is why, [NSFW]

http://i.imgur.com/dEPHDM1.jpg

so?  i mean the sexy character models where totally distracting to my playthough, and i switched them off, for the original model after a first few minutes of "playing"

anyway, ignoring the unhealthy sexual obsession of this geeks....      they did a GREAT job on this mod, that makes it exciting (not in sexual way) to play the game again (if you played the original a few times)

yes, cinematic mod adds the perv ability, that is true, but it is so much more then that!   

i don't blame a bunch of pervs and dedicated geeks, adding such thing for fun, when they spent so much work, on reworking the game.

clearly dismissing such a extensive mod just because they went "really deep" with it, is a bit amoterish (just like that 3D model you posted)

i enjoy sexy mods for a laugh, but here, it is barely touching the surface of how much other (not sexual) reworking was put into the game!

so?  i mean the sexy character models where totally distracting to my playthough, and i switched them off, for the original model after a first few minutes of "playing"

anyway, ignoring the unhealthy sexual obsession of this geeks....      they did a GREAT job on this mod, that makes it exciting (not in sexual way) to play the game again (if you played the original a few times)

yes, cinematic mod adds the perv ability, that is true, but it is so much more then that!

Maybe you should start your own thread then?

HL2U doesn't ruin the atmosphere, models, lightning or hyper sexualizes characters.

Maybe you should start your own thread then?

HL2U doesn't ruin the atmosphere, models, lightning or hyper sexualizes characters.

ok, i will post no more about it here :)

if you really feel the need, ask the mods to clean the thread.   but i am not sure how it will help.  

anyone looking for HL2 mods, will be able find both, and depending on what experience you want you can choose.

so i felt like i am helping people, by showing something i enjoyed.  and that it was on topic of HL2 "updates"

choice is always good.   and there is no monetary value to either mod. so it is not like i am taking business away from them.

i am just a HL2 fan, who looked for a new way to enjoy the classic and found it.      I will play the update too, in a bit, since i only played CM a year ago.

i also recommend Black Mesa Source as a must, to replay HL1

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

or do you think it is not appropriate to post that here either?

so i felt like i am helping people, by showing something i enjoyed.  and that it was on topic of HL2 "updates"

HL2U was just released and they're having their 5 minutes of fame and glory dude, it's just a bit assy to then go advertise the crufty ancient old cinematic mod over that parade.

Just mod etiquette really.

Sorry Alexander, I had to reply :p

crufty ancient old cinematic mod over that parade.

Just mod etiquette.

crufty? ancient? old?      it has being constantly updated... a LOT has changed, and the current release seem spot on for the current day and age.

how is it crufty? how is this ancient?  you seem to be the one with agenda.  and even if it is old (original release) it has being worked on, continuously up to now.

also, i did not realize there is such thing as mod etiquette on neowin forums!  (except treating my beloved neowin mods, with some repect, and not breaking community rules :rolleyes:)

i thought, we here, are gamers looking to have the best time.    i am not promoting it for anything else other then letting people know, i, as a gamer, loved it, and i am a huge HL fan (as many people are)

Sorry Alexander, I had to reply :p

crufty ancient old?      it has being constantly updated... a LOT has changed, and the current release seem spot on for the current day and age?   

how is it crufty? how is this ancient?  you seem to be the one with agenda.  and even if it is old (original release) it has being working on continuesly since then!

also, i did not realize there is such thing as mod etiquette on neowin forums!  (except treating my beloved neowin mods, with some repect, and not breaking community rules :rolleyes:)

i thought, we here, are gamers looking to have the best time.    i am not promoting it for anything else other then letting people know, i, as a gamer, loved it, and i am a huge HL fan (as many people are)

Nah dude, It's just a matter of being respectful of the guys that put some pretty hefty time into this mod and letting them have their five minutes of fame before you start putting up the "competitions" banners up on top of theirs.

It doesn't help that FAKEFACTORY is an utter diva himself (How many times has he quit? 4? 5?) for that matter either, especially considering the majority of CM work is pulled in 3rd-party.

Anyway this thread has digressed enough, we should be talking about the mod itself.

Anyway this thread has digressed enough, we should be talking about the mod itself.

you are right about that, and to show i am not just saying it, i am going to go download it today.  and give my feedback once i get a chance to fully play it.

otherwise it is all talk ;)