Windows 10 in VM super slow

I've been running Windows 10 as my main OS for some time and decided since I do work from home now that I would go back to 8.1 until 10 is released. I set up a VM in VirtualBox and installed Windows 10. It is so slow that mouse movement lags and I can wee rows of pixels draw when I open windows and menus and such. I know it's a VM but should it perform better than that? I have 2D and 3D acceleration enabled, 8GB RAM, 4 CPU's, 256MB video. I would like to keep testing 10 in a VM but not if it's going to perform like this. I have Linux distros in it that perform way better.

I figured out my own problem. I was forgetting to install the VMWare Tools in the machine...

If you used Hyper-V which comes with Windows 8, you wouldn't need to worry about tools :)

To each his own of course :)

Hmm, I've actually never heard about that. I'll have to Google it.

If you used Hyper-V which comes with Windows 8, you wouldn't need to worry about tools :)

If it's Pro or Enterprise...

I'm created a Hyper-V machine and am installing Windows 10 now. Is it supposed to perform better? I am doing it because the drive I created in VirtualBox doesn't have enough space for the 10049 update.

Well, I have it up and running in a Hyper-V VM. I gotta say though that performance is really, really bad. Plus there is no audio device. I guess I'll keep using VirtualBox.

• Like 1

Let me know when sudo apt-get install hyper-v works :p

Well, I have it up and running in a Hyper-V VM. I gotta say though that performance is really, really bad. Plus there is no audio device. I guess I'll keep using VirtualBox.

I've had pretty terrible experiences with Windows 10 in VMware and VitrualBox, but I always attributed it to the fact that OS X is NOT designed for a spinny HDD and that's what my mac has.

Let me know when sudo apt-get install hyper-v works :p

I've had pretty terrible experiences with Windows 10 in VMware and VitrualBox, but I always attributed it to the fact that OS X is NOT designed for a spinny HDD and that's what my mac has.

Yeah it runs slower on my Mac too. In Hyper-V it is hardly even usable. I have everything enabled in bios but it is just too darned slow.

Hyper-V needs tweaked to get the wireless card working. Plus you must have the Pro version of Windows.  When you have Hyper-V enabled Virtual Toolbox and VMplayer won't run.

I'm created a Hyper-V machine and am installing Windows 10 now. Is it supposed to perform better? I am doing it because the drive I created in VirtualBox doesn't have enough space for the 10049 update.

Just expand your drive. You'll have to expand the drive for virtualbox first, then go into Disk Management and expand your drive in Windows.

It's been a while since I've done it in VB, but there should be instructions somewhere on internet. Shouldn't be hard.

Unless you have a Bluray drive and an AMD video card, in which case installing Hyper-V kills your ability to play bluray movies. :(

Unless you have a Bluray drive and an AMD video card, in which case installing Hyper-V kills your ability to play bluray movies. :(

Since I made this post, its been made clear that Hyper-V does have failings in certain areas. Myself even admitted that Hulu doesn't work with Hyper-V installed. My initial point does remain though... Hyper-V does away with tools in Windows VMs which is nice.

Since I made this post, its been made clear that Hyper-V does have failings in certain areas. Myself even admitted that Hulu doesn't work with Hyper-V installed. My initial point does remain though... Hyper-V does away with tools in Windows VMs which is nice.

It would be even nicer if MS would fix the bloody thing! :p

Is HyperV a type 1 or II hypervisor? I assumed the one for desktop Windows was a type II which needs the tools. I use VMWare Workstation which is a type II and most others use Virtualbox which is a II as well.

Is HyperV a type 1 or II hypervisor? I assumed the one for desktop Windows was a type II which needs the tools. I use VMWare Workstation which is a type II and most others use Virtualbox which is a II as well.

It's a native (type 1) hypervisor.

Hyper-V is type 1. What I said was Microsoft is including the tools in Windows so you don't need to install them. The drivers are built into Windows now.

Hyper-V is type 1. What I said was Microsoft is including the tools in Windows so you don't need to install them. The drivers are built into Windows now.

According to the wiki, it's type 1.