YouTube gaming stars blindsided by Nintendo's ad revenue grab

It's their IP and they can legally claim anything related to them, but aren't they overreacting here?

These youtubers are making some advertising money, yes, but they are also providing free advertising for nintendo. Is it really that bad? What harm can it do them? It's not like they're taking money directly out of nintendo's pockets.

Claiming a video showing a game in its entirety from start to finish, I sort of understand (although a game is still not a movie), but claiming any video that have footage from a nintendo game as short as a few seconds?

They even claim videos from non-monetized, ad-free videos, so it's not just money. They want to control the whole thing.

P.S. you should read some of the comments on other websites. Some are defending this practice as if they have major stock in nintendo or fill a major position in the company; as if their lives depend on it. Some have a nintendo related avatar too. Go figure.

This type of stuff is fair use, the way I see it. It's also free advertising for Nintendo. They need as many people plugging their games as possible these days.

It's their IP and they can legally claim anything related to them, but aren't they overreacting here?

These youtubers are making some advertising money, yes, but they are also providing free advertising for nintendo. Is it really that bad? What harm can it do them? It's not like they're taking money directly out of nintendo's pockets.

Claiming a video showing a game in its entirety from start to finish, I sort of understand (although a game is still not a movie), but claiming any video that have footage from a nintendo game as short as a few seconds?

They even claim videos from non-monetized, ad-free videos, so it's not just money. They want to control the whole thing.

P.S. you should read some of the comments on other websites. Some are defending this practice as if they have major stock in nintendo or fill a major position in the company; as if their lives depend on it. Some have a nintendo related avatar too. Go figure.

The funny part is they also do it to people who are using video taken directly from their trailers.

This type of stuff is fair use, the way I see it. It's also free advertising for Nintendo. They need as many people plugging their games as possible these days.

It may b a lot of things, but I'm not sure full play troughs of games or even "just" entire levels counts as "fair use".

The movie trailers in movie reviews example in the OP Article isn't even comparable, as firstly they only show small clips of the movie secondly it's clips provided by the studios. 

Do they have the right to take down the videos, probably. Should they... I dunno. I'm not going to miss let's play videos at any rate. and I don't see why people can make a living of them, or that they should. 

It may b a lot of things, but I'm not sure full play troughs of games or even "just" entire levels counts as "fair use".

The movie trailers in movie reviews example in the OP Article isn't even comparable, as firstly they only show small clips of the movie secondly it's clips provided by the studios. 

Do they have the right to take down the videos, probably. Should they... I dunno. I'm not going to miss let's play videos at any rate. and I don't see why people can make a living of them, or that they should. 

So because you don't like them others shouldn't be able to enjoy them (or make money from them)? Is that what you're saying? Because it looks that way.

So because you don't like them others shouldn't be able to enjoy them (or make money from them)? Is that what you're saying? Because it looks that way.

I just want to know the difference between monetizing an Let's play and monetizing your reactions to a movie and uploading it up onto YouTube with the full movie.  I think Nintendo should be a little more willing to allow people to monetize their IPs, that they own the copyrights on every individual part of it.

Possibly throwing in a free or greatly discounted Wii U with a bundle of games that Nintendo would be okay with being online.  As part of their current plan Super Smash Brothers for the 3DS/Wii U isn't listed due to the problems of licensing the content and music, it is one of the reasons why there is only a 2 Disc official sample album instead a full album be able to be purchased. 

I just want to know the difference between monetizing an Let's play and monetizing your reactions to a movie and uploading it up onto YouTube with the full movie.  I think Nintendo should be a little more willing to allow people to monetize their IPs, that they own the copyrights on every individual part of it.

Possibly throwing in a free or greatly discounted Wii U with a bundle of games that Nintendo would be okay with being online.  As part of their current plan Super Smash Brothers for the 3DS/Wii U isn't listed due to the problems of licensing the content and music, it is one of the reasons why there is only a 2 Disc official sample album instead a full album be able to be purchased. 

It has to do with transformative works if I'm not mistaken. No two play throughs of a certain video game will ever be the same while every single viewing of a certain movie is always going to be the same.

That is why people get away with posting video game lets plays and can't post full movies and claim they are reviews. Even if they are talking over the entire movie like is typical for a lets play.

For me the essence of a game is actually playing it. Interaction is fundamental, unlike TV, which is passive. Watching someone play a game isn't the same, which is why I don't feel any infringement is committed here. Should game endings be shown, no. Thats a spolier.

heh, no, Nintendo has a ridiculous bank account. basically they could run at a massive loss for decades and not be in trouble. 

Nintendo has been running at a loss for years but, Wasn't it last year alone they lost half a billion? And had been running at losses the years before that? Just because Nintendo has money in the bank from the original wii doesn't mean the investors and stock owners will be impressed with billions in loss over the last few years.

I hate twitch youtube plays etc but this is a terrible move by Nintendo I don't understand how anyone could defend this.