NBA 2K14 server shutdown ends players' career modes

Update: 2K Sports has reinstated the NBA 2K14 online servers, which should restore saves for affected players. Also as a result of this situation, the publisher has changed its policies regarding providing online services.

This is what gets me scratching my head. of zk14 is still popular, why dump the servers? i understand money drives gaming however, shutting down servers that I'll guess are still factive and busy is just silly.

I suppose only to force people to buy into 2k15.

This is what gets me scratching my head. of zk14 is still popular, why dump the servers? i understand money drives gaming however, shutting down servers that I'll guess are still factive and busy is just silly.

You just answered your own question.

• Like 3

Old players don't bring in extra money (unless they're milking micro transactions).

IMO 16 months is disgracefully short.

It's not piracy that kills the gaming business, it's stupid moves like this that kill the gaming business.

• Like 3

Sadly this may come as an inconvenience to some of you and if so we truly do understand and can feel for how upsetting this may seem as there always is a special bond that occurs between a player and their MyCareer save but all good things must come to an end and rest assured your MyCareer or MyGM went out while on top!

Translation: "We know we lied and you're upset but we really just don't care, #### you."

You can't use reason or accountability.  This is EA we are talking about.

You can't use reason or accountability.  This is EA we are talking about.

EA is not affiliated with 2K sports. In fact, they are somewhat of rivals in the sports market.

EA is not affiliated with 2K sports. In fact, they are somewhat of rivals in the sports market.

Ahh good point.  Thats what I get for commenting while watching TV.  Since the Borderlands mass DLC craze they do seem money hungry.  There are like 40 DLC for BL2.

If this is about money -- and, let's face it, what else could it be -- I wonder how long before games move into "pay as you play" model where the game itself is a download at a substantially reduced price and the online infrastructure is propped up by these "subscriptions". It's possible that some games already do this, but I haven't gamed in ages, so may be out the loop.

Wow. This is a joke. Disgraceful does not even begin to describe it. Wow.

And people whine at gamers internet outrage. It works a lot of the time.

No thanks due for 2K but everyone who put the heat on them.

• Like 1