Patch for Windows 7 and 8 will notify users to upgrade to Windows 10

Something like the following:

wznC4tN.png?1

But instead of it mentioning my device is ready to use, it says something like, "Did you know you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Click here for more." Also coming with an option to remind you later or not be reminded at all.

Yeah this update do something to my drives.  I can no longer "unmount" my physical drive.  That msg pops up when I plug in my USB and I can ONLY see my USB device though that pane.  I normally see ALL of my physical hard drive and I am able to unmount them.  After this update, it fixes everything.  Not only that, this is what I see.

After I woke up from sleep, rundll was asking for internet to go to Microsoft site for something.  This happens after many hours of the update.  No application was running.  Screen was in sleep mode.

post-956-0-39232800-1429205376.png

Looks to me like a backdoor.  Suspicious so I do not give access to internet.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like I've been to this thread before. Anyway, this stupid update popped up again today. Interesting that a range of sizes showed up. That's about the only thing I can seen that's new here.  :/

post-535642-0-38553500-1431631764.jpg

It seems like I've been to this thread before. Anyway, this stupid update popped up again today. Interesting that a range of sizes showed up. That's about the only thing I can seen that's new here.  :/

attachicon.gifkb3035583.JPG

Look and see if you have KB2990214 installed. That's the update that triggers the Win 10 insider notification. I was under the impression you had to download it and install it separately.

• Like 1

Look and see if you have KB2990214 installed. That's the update that triggers the Win 10 insider notification. I was under the impression you had to download it and install it separately.

Yes, KB2990214 was installed on 4/12/15 on my machine. 

I haven't been actually participating in the Windows Insider program even though I signed up for it when it first started. I decided I was one of those who couldn't "afford"  to be using an alpha/beta program and could afford to lose everything. :)

At any rate, I really don't care if it installs but I just don't want to have problems (errors). I will think about it and decide what would be best. Opinions welcome. :)

Don't think people realize that pretty much every OS out there will notify you when there's a new major version upgrade.

Mine certainly doesn't. For one thing, it's rolling release and I choose when I do an update. And even in GNU/Linux distros that have that facility such as Ubuntu/Mint etc, the option to disable the notification (as well as other update notifications) is in the settings right from the very start. Nothing like this at all.

Trying to excuse this blatant attempt to shoehorn users into Windows 10 so Microsoft can crow about user numbers and attract mobile app devs is quite sad. I know you have a tendency to defend Microsoft in all things, but I'm surprised you'd defend nagware like this.

not nagware at all.

If it installs an update for this very purpose, then yeah I'd call that nagware. It's not like that facility was present / able to be disabled at the start a la Ubuntu.

Mine certainly doesn't.

That's cute, of course a rolling release distro won't have a major version upgrade notification, because gee, it doesn't have them. My Arch install doesn't either. ;) And previous history has shown that this notification can be acknowledged and disabled.

I know you have a tendency to defend Microsoft in all things, but I'm surprised you'd defend nagware like this.

It's just a notification telling you of a new version of the OS, not some of your typical conspiracy theory nonsense. None of your "name calling to prove a point" is going to change that fact. Well then again I know you have a tendency to distort the truth in all things Microsoft, so not too surprised.

Cute.

It's not like that facility was present / able to be disabled at the start a la Ubuntu.

.... so? I have a few Ubuntu Server installs here (I know, not possible, being an MS shill and all right?) that constantly remind me to upgrade to the newer LTS version, well until I disabled those notifications. Huh, just like Windows. The horror!

At any rate, I really don't care if it installs but I just don't want to have problems (errors). I will think about it and decide what would be best. Opinions welcome. :)

Due my last experience with Windows 10 [build:10102],it is pretty stable for a daily job.

Errors doesn't pop-up as I was believing they will.