Default Printers at user level?

I have created a group of users in AD and deploying printers using the Print Management service in 2012 r2.

These group of users share 7 printers but as they are in different areas I need to have each of them default to a different printer.. I may have missed something but I can only see how to set default for the entire group. Is it possible to set default printers at the user level so that each of them will default to their own printer?

You would have to create a gpo for each individual user/computer to have it default where you want it to for that individual.  This is where I personally like to script it as it is all in one place.

something like this in a vbscript should work just fine

If objNetwork.UserName = "TestUsername1" Then
    objNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "Printer X"

end if

If objNetwork.UserName = "TestUsername2" Then
    objNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "Printer Y"

end if

You would have to create a gpo for each individual user/computer to have it default where you want it to for that individual.  This is where I personally like to script it as it is all in one place.

something like this in a vbscript should work just fine

Thanks, I come up with a script that works when testing but in production it throws an error that the printer does not exist...At first I thought it was firing before the printer was added, I can see the printer has definitely been mapped and can print from it, but the script does not recognise it.

I typed the printer location and it re-added it so I have 2 of the same printer mapped, the mapped printer from GPO is called 'Workspace' and the printer i located manually \\Server\Workspace added itself as 'Workspace on Server'.. at this point the script starts working but is still failing when logging on, any ideas on this one?

The users can't right click on their preferred printer and set it as default? 

No not really, printers are deleted at each login before it adds the correct printers for the user, they would need to set default printer each time they logged on...

If it works out of the gpo, perhaps the gpo is not loading. Check rsop.msc to verify that the script is loading.

If you want I can take a look, shoot me a pm with teamviewer user and pass.

Thanks, I come up with a script that works when testing but in production it throws an error that the printer does not exist...At first I thought it was firing before the printer was added, I can see the printer has definitely been mapped and can print from it, but the script does not recognise it.

I typed the printer location and it re-added it so I have 2 of the same printer mapped, the mapped printer from GPO is called 'Workspace' and the printer i located manually \\Server\Workspace added itself as 'Workspace on Server'.. at this point the script starts working but is still failing when logging on, any ideas on this one?

No not really, printers are deleted at each login before it adds the correct printers for the user, they would need to set default printer each time they logged on...

Why delete the printers before adding?

domain gpo take precedence over local gpo.

If that is the case, try putting the script in the startup folder for either the individual users or all users.