Amped Wireless ProSeries High Power AC1750

Does anyone have a Amped Wireless ProSeries High Power AC1750 Wi-Fi Access Point / Router (APR175P)? I'm looking for a device to run as an AC AP only, this seems to claim it can be an AP only with PoE.

I have a couple Ubiquiti UniFi AP's and honestly they seemed good at first, but there are just too many issues with them like dropping and range and you need a centralized management system (Well not need, but it's nice to have).

The amped wireless device seems to do all this on the device with a web UI.

Anyone have opinions on this device?

Which AP from unifi do you have?  I have never see any issues with my AC v2 unit.

From looking at that unit the 1 interface is poe, and from the user manual you can power the AP with poe if you have a poe switch.  Or maybe they sell a POE injector?

Which AP from unifi do you have?  I have never see any issues with my AC v2 unit.

I just have the B/G/N ones running right now, if you remember our old discussion I was running them to see how they went, well they started to act funny in the past couple months... they went from working fine to strangely locking up, or just flashing orange out of no where, or look like they are working fine but all the connections drop and you can't connect or see the network.

I tried reflashing the firmware, rebuilding the network, nothings helped...

Perhaps registering on their community site and getting in touch with a ubiquiti tech may help or may get a return.  I did have one brick on me that needed to be rma'd, that was out of the box during a flash..it didn't like the firmware update and decided it wanted to just stop all together.  1 out of about 30. 

I have since updated the firmware through ssh on the remainder and haven't had an issue at all.  It seems once on the current major revision (3.x) they don't mind upgrading through the gui.

Perhaps registering on their community site and getting in touch with a ubiquiti tech may help or may get a return.  I did have one brick on me that needed to be rma'd, that was out of the box during a flash..it didn't like the firmware update and decided it wanted to just stop all together.

yeah, but I still want to go to AC for my network now, was going to go to the Unifi AC pro unit, but after this I don't think I want to  even if their support is great, having 3 units at the same time act up just made me feel weird towards them... I needed 3 to cover my house since their output maxes out at 28 db I think it was... the amped unit seems to claim it's much higher output then that. and should cover the whole house with no signal loss...

near a unifi AP I can get about 100Mbit on N but move 10 ft away it drops to 70Mbit then a across the house the single AP had a low SNR and was unstable.. the range on the standard AP just felt very short... probably should of got the Pro one but didn't at the time

There was the one issue where the 2.4 was getting really low bandwidth but they have since fixed that in the latest firmware release.  5 was always fine.

I would be looking into the AC3200 if you wanted to stay cutting edge or wait till later this year when they release multiuser mimo technology (AC3100 and AC5300).

What firmware are you running on the unifi?

I don't understand why people think they need to transmit 100 gigwatts for wifi.. Your device has what for a xmitter?  It might be able to receive the signal from the AP, but can the AP see what the client is sending?

More power is not the answer to good wifi coverage.  As to needing 3 to cover your house.. Man that is a big house ;)  Or built like a bomb shelter ;)

What firmware are you running on the unifi?

I don't understand why people think they need to transmit 100 gigwatts for wifi.. Your device has what for a xmitter?  It might be able to receive the signal from the AP, but can the AP see what the client is sending?

More power is not the answer to good wifi coverage.  As to needing 3 to cover your house.. Man that is a big house ;)  Or built like a bomb shelter ;)

I'm not saying I want like a 1 watt transmitter *lol*... my problem is with these AP's my wifi range drastically decreased that's why I eneded up with 3 of them just to cover the house, which I use to get full coverage with my old netgear R6300 AC router with no problems... I had a high SNR anywhere in the house with it, went to these and my SNR was all over the place until I meshed them.. I just want it to work... I had no issues before with range and the devices I used.

since I went to a dedicated router box, I decided to go to dedicated AP's... but it's been a struggle to make them work as good as I use to have it working... router works great (pfsense) but the wifi just went downhill fast

I don't know the firmware right now have to check later...

but the house is 2k sq ft on each floor times 3 floors that are completely finished... if I put an AP in the dead center, I get less then half signal at either end of the house... if I put one AP on the far end in the 1st floor... another in the middle on the 2nd and the last at the other end on the 3rd the mesh network seems to cover it enough to get at least 70% signal

I don't know if it's the antenna array in them that causes it, bad radios, firmware issues, no idea, but it has been sad for me that they worked ok at first then went down hill over the past yearish.. when my consumer router worked with no problems across the whole house...

If I go outside my house the signal is almost nill from these AP's.. the R6300 I still had an OK signal in the yard through the wood and drywall walls

/offtopic

I have a Unifi AC also and working great for me. The 3.2.10 firmware is the best so far, definitely better then 2.4.6 :)

/offtopic

Are you needing AC for anything in particular? TPlink seems to have a AC ap also now which might be worth checking out.

/offtopic

I have a Unifi AC also and working great for me. The 3.2.10 firmware is the best so far, definitely better then 2.4.6 :)

/offtopic

Are you needing AC for anything in particular? TPlink seems to have a AC ap also now which might be worth checking out.

Just future proofing with the AC... and I have one device that uses AC if it's available now also

your not going to be future proofing anything since wave 2 of AC is coming soon.  And don't forget 802.11ad - what is your internet speed?  If you can not match your internet speed with N, and you really want that, then ok AC would be a fix to that.  But with only 1 AC client does that make sense budget wise is the question.

Only reason I went with AC was to play with it, I don't have any ac clients anyway.  I purchased some ac dongles and a pci for my computer only for testing/play, etc.  Or I would of went with the N pro versions of the unifi. Do you have the Pro version of N from unifi or the $70 ones?

when you say worked at first, what has gone down hill?  Have you update firmware on them, there have been some firmwares that were worse/better than others.  The current one 3.2.10 has been pretty stable and good to me.

Since you have multiple AP, have you setup minrssi so that you don't get a client that connects to AP 1 and then moves and should really move to AP 2 or 3, that can cause issues.  Did you enable zero handoff? etc.. There is a bit of difference in correctly setting up a multiple AP system vs just 1 in the center of your coverage, etc.

Are you running the controller?  This can give you status about your clients and what AP they are connected too, tx and rx rates, signal strength, etc. If they are going in to power saving mode "uapsd" what devices are using?  Do you have beam forming on or off?  Are you using 20 or 40mhz channels?

Also xmit power and signal strength don't always mean you have a BAD connection..  So for example look at my harmony hub, 40% but look at the tx and rx rates..  Those rates are fine for what that device is doing.  It is as far away from my AP that you can really get in my house.  It is inside a cabinet on the far wall in my living room with bunch of other electronics - dvrs, amplifier, slingbox, switch, another rf transmitter and recv for different remote my son uses on other end of house to control the dvrs in the cabinet, etc.

post-14624-0-04373300-1428600939.png

And you can see my xmit power is only 12dbm (EIRP)  And look at the errors 0 and 0 for tx and recv both retry and drop..

With a bit of tweaking I would bet your setup would be screaming!!  Notice the connection times for my 2 devices that are on all the time the chromecast and harmony hub..  Wonder why the nest has only been connected for 10 hours?  Wonder if it upgraded firmware or something?

I am also running pfSense and got the Unifi to split away the WAP and it works great for me.

Heres a lil snip:

post-698-0-23089800-1428599840.png

The AC device is my Thinkpad in my signature. My WAN connection is 100Mbps and even though its "only" 30% signal, I can still max it out at 11-12MB/s downloads :)

Here is my Link speed with the "bad" connection above:

post-698-0-30852700-1428599998.png

thanks - updated it..

Roger wonder why shows N/A for some of your signal strength?

Strange, just noticed that. Normally it is loaded with info. Not sure whats going on there. Maybe need to reboot the controller?

-

Restarted controller and didnt make a diff, so we restarted the AP itself and that worked now :)

could be a software firewall issue or an acl issue.

I know I had to disable the firewall do a netstat to see what ports were in use and allow them in the eset firewall config

Well that might be but the AP is the one that has the data, the controller either pulls it or the AP sends it to the controller I would think..  Never seen it is why I asked.

Here's info about one of my AP's

MAC Address 24:a4:3c:6e:e3:09

Model UniFi AP

Version 3.2.10.2886

transmit power 23 dBm

channel 11

Channle Auto HT20

Tx power auto

I just rebooted these things again after they jammed... so it's still learning clients... but the devices it's listing are all within 20 ft of an AP right now

post-47883-0-49701500-1428606701.png

I am curious to the wiring and switches now.  What do you have in place?  What does your wiring look like?  Did you put the ends on yourself?  If you did, try manufactured cables...take some from work, I am sure they have plenty around. 

In the meantime, I am still curious as to what any sort of wifi analyzer looks like.  I am guessing that you are using the default wlan group and that you have not added another and configured for zero handoff.

Could even be bad power injectors...but 3 is a little hard to choke down unless it was a bad batch.