Amped Wireless ProSeries High Power AC1750

well an update on this....

I put a Meraki MR26 AP at my house to see how it worked, and boom the same exact issues! Meraki just handles it differently... wifi would drop out for the whole house... well got a spectrum analyzer and watched the 2.4GHz to 2.5GHz range and every so often I'd see a high power spike across a very large portion of bandwidth... we're talking +30db above the rest of the background noise across 100+MHz...

watched it for a while the spike went away... same time that spike happened my meraki AP went a bit nuts... turned it off put the unifi ap back on worked again... watched nothing..... next day around the same time... boom big spike and the unifi ap locked up...

wasn't sure what was going on... so got a Software defined radio that listened higher then that range and just listened to it... you hear constant traffic like you would on a modem just way faster... then out of no where when this spike happens you get a constant carrier like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepp tone...

interesting... but where was it coming from....

well with the SDR, a USB GPS antenna and some analyzer software... went driving around snooping then it happened... kept driving until i got the highest signal and here its a property that has a big pole antenna setup on it... still not 100% sure it was coming from that house... didn't know who to contact... so talked to someone at work that pointed me in the right direction, got an investigator that has WAY better equipment then I have and they did validate it came from that house.....

here the guy that lived there was broadcasting basically a jam signal on almost all the 2.4GHz - 2.55GHz range...

not sure what happened to him BUT since then I've had zero problems..... zero!

Glad it is resolved, but that is messed up. 

you're telling me.... guess I should of been using 5GHz for everything :laugh: not that it would help though since the UnifiAp went nuts when this happened... sent details to Ubiquity about the case, see if they can make it more resilient to an "attack" like this... the meraki AP didn't jam, it just wouldn't talk back for a while after the carrier tone stopped.. almost like it said what ever, you keep screaming I'm taking a nap

to add to this, Comcast also got involved... not for wifi issues, but ingress issues caused by the same guy broadcasting on 650-725MHz!... apparently some of the stuff he was doing was being picked up on the HFC network cabling outside and causing a lot of RF problems... last night they had 7 Comcast trucks (15 guys in total) out at our node trying to make sure that all the lines were property shielded and connected correctly in the neighborhood...

wonder what kinda fines you can rack up for doing this stuff....