Do you care about saving the human race?

Do you care about saving the human race?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about saving the human race?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
    • If it effects me while i'm alive, yes, otherwise no, I don't care!

I was thinking about all of these movies centering around "Saving the human race". Finding another planet so that we can start populating it, so the human race doesn't be coming extinct.

I was thinking "If the human race is going to get in trouble after i'm dead and gone, couldn't really give a crap what happens to the human race. If it goes extinct it goes extinct."

What are your thoughts?

Well, I do care about the human race in the sense that we need to sustain ourselves to better the universe, but if we develop something that could do this job better, I wouldn't care, because it would be better for the universe.

Well, I do care about the human race in the sense that we need to sustain ourselves to better the universe, but if we develop something that could do this job better, I wouldn't care, because it would be better for the universe.

Yes, but they probably won't do that by the time you die, after which you'll be dead.

I mean.. overall?? No.. once I die I die and hopefully I'll be a ghost.  However.. I don't want my sons life to be ###### because I don't..so in that way I do care.

Yes, but they probably won't do that by the time you die, after which you'll be dead.

Yeah, but I don't care if I die either, as long as there is still progress, whether it be by humans or beings that supersede them. I would just like to be a small part of that progress, and in that way, I guess I do care about saving the human race, but as long as we're useful to the universe.

I mean.. overall?? No.. once I die I die and hopefully I'll be a ghost.  However.. I don't want my sons life to be ###### because I don't..so in that way I do care.

Lets pretend the earth goes to hell after he dies too.

Lets pretend the earth goes to hell after he dies too.

Hmm.. then I'd feel bad about his kids.. so let's say.. if the whole world were to self implode.. and anyone directly related to my lineage were totally safe.. or didn't have kids then.. I care about the here and now.

i have kids so i care for them.

me its kinda like whatever but i care for the future for my children.

but just think if the earth ends and they die, they can come say hi to you in heaven!

The world will never end (well, in 4+ billion years yes but not before). Humans are extremely flexible in terms of survival. Mass death? Sure, but almost certainly there will always be humans. Our strength for survival is not like any other creature, the best survival tool will always be our ability to think rather then act on instinct. I would say this even if i didn't have children.

"Saving the human race" would mean continuing humanity's destruction of the earth and itself...  The planet will start regenerating with a vengeance the second there is no human left to pollute it.

Okay, that's not quite true, because of things like nuclear power plants and such, humans not being here would first cause more damage, eg meltdowns and such, then would slowly start to recover from the plague of humanity.  :-p

That's not to say that we as a part of the earth aren't TOTALLY bad, but at this point in the game, we are doing more damage than good.

I mean, come on, would humans care about "saving the environment" if we could figure out a way to survive without it?  Hell no.  We're selfish beings, and we are only saving the earth now because we realize we'd have no means of survival without it...  But if, say, tomorrow, we found a way to colonize another planet, within say 10 years, humanity would collectively say "###### it" and leave this world and whatever creatures remain to crumble without us...  We're parasites that feed on land until it can no longer be inhabited, and then move on and destroy new areas.  The earth will not miss us.  So why bother trying to save a species that does nothing but destroy everything it touches?

• Like 1

I would like to see the human race overcome it's shortcomings, learn to think a little more outside the square, learn to not fight and allow oneself to be fooled or deceived by those who may want to. There are some rather curious and highly advanced technologies that could make our lives a lot more useful or destroy us overtime if not immediately. Watch out for anything that would have you do anything you know to be bad.

Yeah, but I don't care if I die either, as long as there is still progress, whether it be by humans or beings that supersede them. I would just like to be a small part of that progress, and in that way, I guess I do care about saving the human race, but as long as we're useful to the universe.

Useful to the universe? When is that scheduled to begin exactly? We treat our planet like a toilet and are constantly inventing new ways to hurt each other.

I love life and cherish the simple pleasures every day, but honestly, the human race as a whole has largely been a failure. The only "useful" thing for the universe would be if humans became extinct. And with the way things are going, it shouldn't be long now.

stock-footage-self-illuminated-self-dest

• Like 2

Quite frankly there are way too many negatives against our species as a whole right now that are working against us having a bright future. Consider:

- As a species, we tend to be very aggressive.

- As a species, we tend to be emotionally volatile.

- As a species, we are often too quick to judge without the proper information, and likewise we often do not act when when we should; nor do we possess the wisdom to know the difference much of the time.

- As a species, we often take (or claim) when we have no right or permission to do so.

- As a species, we are often very destructive to the nearby environment without regard for the local balance.

- As a species, we are often fearful and/or suspicious of what we do not understand, even going so far as to destroy it.

- As a species, we often gravitate toward the negative and gravitate away from the positive, usually to our detriment, because it is the easiest or most convenient path to take.

- As a species, we tend to be more concerned with comfort and distraction and material gain than with what is appropriate.

- As a species, we tend to be obsessed with how much control we have over a person, place, and thing -- and this obsession scales upward to the entire Near-Earth region of Space.

- As a species, we still tend to believe in things that do not exist, because those in positions of power or control deem it to be so or out of sheer ignorance on the part of the individual.

That's why, at this point in time, our future is not bright.

Can it change? Yes.

Will it change? Unlikely.

"Do you care about saving the human race?" makes the pretty big assumption that the human race can indeed be saved. Call me pessimistic but I don't have high hopes based on current evidence.

Humans will be wiped out.  I do not care about saving human race.  Earth needs a reset.  There are more morons than smart people.  There are groups of demographic that believe earth is over-crowded.  With these kinds of mentality, we should cease to evolve.  A total reset would be best.

Maybe.

Kind of depends on where we are at a given time in history. I would hope saving Humans now would allow for more sophisticated Humans later who actually deserve to survive (in my opinion). Overall, I dislike Humans as it stands now. We're narcissistic, arrogant and violent. I feel more compassion towards a great number of species before I ever would to Humans.

But....

I like to remain optimistic that we're just in our adolescences right now and we'll wise up to our stupidity eventually. I really hope that's true and it's certainly worth 'surviving' for. We're a relatively new species and we haven't quite worked the bugs out yet. Our intelligence is dangerous because we're not sure, yet, how to use it. I think overtime we may well be a useful resource for the Earth and its fellow inhabitants. Along the way we're certainly doing some damage and we'll rightfully need to reverse that damage to the best of our ability.

I also have an obvious bias as I myself am a Human.

Useful to the universe? When is that scheduled to begin exactly? We treat our planet like a toilet and are constantly inventing new ways to hurt each other.

I love life and cherish the simple pleasures every day, but honestly, the human race as a whole has largely been a failure. The only "useful" thing for the universe would be if humans became extinct. And with the way things are going, it shouldn't be long now.

But we should be useful to the universe. And that's what I'm saying, I would like humans to stay alive if they are going to better it. If they aren't either make a replacement, or go extinct.