Do you care about saving the human race?

Do you care about saving the human race?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about saving the human race?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
    • If it effects me while i'm alive, yes, otherwise no, I don't care!

I think the planet is over populated and some serious birth rate management needs to be instituted. No one wants to deal with that as it's not politically correct, but where do they think all the food is going to come from to feed 10 billion people? Those people will also be contributing to the production of waste and pollution. We're either going to have to expand beyond this planet or start being honest about the situation.

There is too much food on earth. Overpopulation is a myth. Granted, we should be more efficient 10 fold in what we do, but there will be no overpopulation for what we "could" be living like. Remove beef, future problem solved for thousands of years.

I find it troubling that some people here have a "Nope, don't care. I'm gonna die anyway." attitude. Talk about selfishness.

It is only through our self interests that we can hope to endure as long as we will on this planet as a species. It sounds counter intuitive, but it is far from it... The worst of problems are caused with the best of intentions. There is nothing free in our universe and we lack full and complete information so we're relegated to constantly making decisions today with an impact on tomorrow without enough information to fully understand that impact. As a result, we can't operate for tomorrow today.

We need to do the best we can today to ensure our lives are livable and let the future persons with better information than we have ensure the same is true for them. Otherwise, we may have intended to leave them a future only to find out otherwise. Nothing worse than being promised something only to later learn it was a lie.

Put it this way every organism on the planet either wants to eat another,lay it eggs in them or occupy their land.The only difference is homo sapiens have somehow taken a branch in evolution that developed a higher brain function and an opposable thumb both of which enabled it to be the controlling species on the planet.All animals are aggressive in one way or another its a matter of survival i.e. fight or flight its just that other animals on the planet only normally kill for food whereas we also do it for other reasons i.e. for a colour,a book or a flag.

If we continue down the path we are going its only a matter of time before the consequences will see either a biological,chemical or radioactive incident that will wipe out  most if not all homo sapiens.For a species that is supposed to be intelligent we are utterly stupid sometimes.

• Like 1

There is too much food on earth. Overpopulation is a myth. Granted, we should be more efficient 10 fold in what we do, but there will be no overpopulation for what we "could" be living like. Remove beef, future problem solved for thousands of years.

How do you figure? Remove overpopulation, you still have tons upon tons of excess waste and pollution coming from every new person on earth throughout their lifetime. That's trash, biological waste and pollution from automobiles, electricity use, etc. Earth has a finite amount of resources. Eventually we'll deplete them. Fresh water is already becoming a problem. Would it be a problem at this time if there were only 500 million people on the earth vs. the billions in existence now?

I find it troubling that some people here have a "Nope, don't care. I'm gonna die anyway." attitude. Talk about selfishness.

How do you figure? Remove overpopulation, you still have tons upon tons of excess waste and pollution coming from every new person on earth throughout their lifetime. That's trash, biological waste and pollution from automobiles, electricity use, etc. Earth has a finite amount of resources. Eventually we'll deplete them. Fresh water is already becoming a problem. Would it be a problem at this time if there were only 500 million people on the earth vs. the billions in existence now?

I 100% agree that less population the better, however, it's just not doom-and-gloom like most people think. We are in a "wasteful" growth stage right now. Efficiency, recycling, and earthly use is just a baby stage right now. Everything in that area is seeing accelerated maturing and learning. Unlimited free/clean energy is coming within the next few hundred years. Once that hits, it will have a causality chain reaction and everything will ok. The human race is already seeing a decline of population from first world nations. Once the developing countries hit a development level that the first world nations see now then the population will stabilize and even decrease as well. People love the apocalypse stories, that's for sure.

added: as for the fresh water problem... sure it's not as plentiful as it once was, but the earth is 75% water surface. That's a whole lot of water for desalination.

I 100% agree that less population the better, however, it's just not doom-and-gloom like most people think. We are in a "wasteful" growth stage right now. Efficiency, recycling, and earthly use is just a baby stage right now. Everything in that area is seeing accelerated maturing and learning. Unlimited free/clean energy is coming within the next few hundred years. Once that hits, it will have a causality chain reaction and everything will ok. The human race is already seeing a decline of population from first world nations. Once the developing countries hit a development level that the first world nations see now then the population will stabilize and even decrease as well. People love the apocalypse stories, that's for sure.

added: as for the fresh water problem... sure it's not as plentiful as it once was, but the earth is 75% water surface. That's a whole lot of water for desalination.

But will we reach that point before its too late? I know where my money is. There is simply too much corporate meddling in the equation. The greater good is not the priority from my POV.

desalination in mass is still a problem economically at this stage I think. Even if you solve the water problem, your still dealing with the other issues of waste/pollution.

But will we reach that point before its too late? I know where my money is. There is simply too much corporate meddling in the equation. The greater good is not the priority from my POV.

desalination in mass is still a problem economically at this stage I think. Even if you solve the water problem, your still dealing with the other issues of waste/pollution.

My money is on humans.

For me it depends on "From What?"

I care about saving the human race with respect to long term science goals like working on cures for diseases and even building colonies on other planets.

I care about saving the human race from an outside threat such as if an asteroid were going to wipe us out I'd support doing something to try to stop it... even if it were expected to hit after my lifetime (like 100 years from now).

I don't care about saving the human race from itself.  I don't back imposing my will on others and I find this term often used as an excuse to restrict others behavior.  I don't support saving the human race by banning fatty or sugary foods.  I don't support saving the human race by setting up carbon exchanges and the like.  I don't support saving the human race by giving up nuclear weapons while others still have them (unless they agree to do so too and it can be verified that they are doing so). If people are going to kill themselves, be they individuals or humanity as a whole, let them do it.

No. The human race doesn't deserve it.

The planet is run by money and greed and selfish people, the whole system is just full of people who live their day to day life and only care for themself. One half of society cry because they don't have the latest fashion, iphone etc, while another die from starvation. No one gives a crap about other people but them self, and it'll never change. Hate is more powerful than love, or so it seems. Empathy is non-existant.

No. The human race doesn't deserve it.

The planet is run by money and greed and selfish people, the whole system is just full of people who live their day to day life and only care for themself. One half of society cry because they don't have the latest fashion, iphone etc, while another die from starvation. No one gives a crap about other people but them self, and it'll never change. Hate is more powerful than love, or so it seems. Empathy is non-existant.

There has never been any point in time where humans cared more about one another then right now. Sure there is lots of suffering, but it still doesn't change that right now is the best humans have ever been.

In order to save the human race, we'd have to go towards a Darwinist mindset.  The strong and productive survive and the weak and useless die.  Unfortunately Westernized culture is pushing as far away from that mindset as possible.  Allowing a weaker gene-pool to reproduce holds back the whole human race.  Evolution has proven what it takes to survive, and there are many forms of life still around today that have survived the tests of time.  Honestly, intelligence is the death of our race.

I'd save what I could. That's for sure. It just seems like the right thing to do. IMO, anyway.

I might care; I don't share the human-hating sentiments which seems to have become almost trendy to spew, but I feel pretty powerless to make any real  impact on this planet or its inhabitants.

At what expense to the rest of Earths inhabitants?

The preferable outcome is that we get our **** together before killing off a bunch more life on Earth. TBO, I'm not sure we'll pull that off. The good news is that there is probably an extensive catalog of DNA that can be used to reintroduce extinct species back onto the planet IF we do pull it together. As is stands today, we're doing everything possible to pave/build over animal habitat.

I'm just playing Xbox and enjoying myself while I still can. Winter is coming.

The preferable outcome is that we get our **** together before killing off a bunch more life on Earth. TBO, I'm not sure we'll pull that off. The good news is that there is probably an extensive catalog of DNA that can be used to reintroduce extinct species back onto the planet IF we do pull it together. As is stands today, we're doing everything possible to pave/build over animal habitat.

Queue Jurassic Park music from old pirated software CDs

I voted no, the planet and everyone on it is beyond saving. What we need is an extinction level event, and a 'reboot' of the human species. One with no concept of religion and power, so the human race can FINALLY live in peace once and for all.