What is best way to connect Win 7 sound output to Home Theatre receiver?

I remember in the past seeing "Line Out" on computers, I think I also have that since I see there are 5 jack outputs on the back of my Vostro PC, but I don't see a label or setting (PC came with Vista, I upgraded to 7 so I may have lost some 3rd party software)

How do I make one of this "Line Out" so that Windows does not modify or play with the output. Can I install a software that can help a windows PC output sound that is Receiver friendly?

are you talking about multiple stereo 3.5mm jacks on the back of your computer? what sound card do you have? can you provide a pic of the back of your pc or some more info about the hardware/soundcard? 

are you talking about multiple stereo 3.5mm jacks on the back of your computer? what sound card do you have? can you provide a pic of the back of your pc or some more info about the hardware/soundcard? 

Sure, I will take a picture of the back this evening and post.

It's not a sound card, it's embedded on motherboard. I can definitely look it up, though.

It is probably surround....you have 5 jack...one for input, one for center, one for 2 rear, one for 2 fronts, one for sub...some have a 6th one for 2 side speakers.

x79%20audio%20diagram.jpg

If you have a video card from anytime in the past several years from either ATI or Nvidia, it probably has HDMI out. Connect that to your receiver and you can get surround sound and even bitstream lossless DTS-HDMA and DD-TrueHD sound from HD movies.

• Like 3

Made me think, so I found the manual, which states:

#6 Front L/R line-out connector
Use the green line-out connector (available on computers
with integrated sound) to attach headphones and most
speakers with integrated amplifiers.
On computers with a sound card, use the connector on the
card.

72044994bf7be02a24532c5c9ffa40a2.png

But there is no line-out per-se, they are all adjusted by Windows. Also this allows windows sound card driver to actively manage the sound, sometimes the sound is so low, I have to increase the volume to hear anything then suddenly I get a loud scene and it's like hell in my living room, I have to grab remote an reduce the volume.

Adjusting loudness equalization doesn't help, in fact it makes it worse most of the time, maybe I am not adjusting it correctly.

If you have a video card from anytime in the past several years from either ATI or Nvidia, it probably has HDMI out. Connect that to your receiver and you can get surround sound and even bitstream lossless DTS-HDMA and DD-TrueHD sound from HD movies.

Thanks, my current receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs.

I have ATI Radeon made by Gigabyte, it has HDMI and DVI, I am currently using DVI to send HDMI to my 52" TV, can I still use HDMI to send Audio to the new receiver which I am getting ready to buy? I don't think this video card has audio out, if it had it would show up as playback device, right?

Maybe I should just buy a new sound card?

I started this thread because I am planning to pick up my new Sony receiver this weekend, but this always bugged me with my current receiver.

HDMI out of the video card

Pretty much all good video players these days let you select the HDMI out as the sound output and bitstream to it without changing the default output and speakers configuration of windows.

Power DVD let you do this. MPC-HC and the fork MPC-BE let you do this too.

So MPC-HC will bitstream to the HDMI out of your video card and you'll get surround sound while windows will still output to the default PC speaker.

I have ATI Radeon made by Gigabyte, it has HDMI and DVI, I am currently using DVI to send HDMI to my 52" TV, can I still use HDMI to send Audio to the new receiver which I am getting ready to buy? I don't think this video card has audio out, if it had it would show up as playback device, right?

I started this thread because I am planning to pick up my new Sony receiver this weekend, but this always bugged me with my current receiver.

If your video card has HDMI it'll do audio out. It will likely show up as a playback device when you connect it via HDMI to a source. If it doesn't, should just require a simple driver update. Do you know the exact model of the video card so we can check for sure? There's really little point in buying additional hardware as the video card will likely be able to handle it no problem. The only problem you might run into with audio from the video card is that some older games might not support 5.1 surround through HDMI.

Pretty much all good video players these days let you select the HDMI out as the sound output and bitstream to it without changing the default output and speakers configuration of windows.

So MPC-HC will bitstream to the HDMI out of your video card and you'll get surround sound while windows will still output to the default PC speaker.

I use XBMC for almost all videos. Also, time to time I load Youtube on Firefox. Occasionally (rarely, if fire stick is giving me problems) I will load Amazon Prime, that would also be via Firefox.

If your video card has HDMI it'll do audio out. It will likely show up as a playback device when you connect it via HDMI to a source. If it doesn't, should just require a simple driver update. Do you know the exact model of the video card so we can check for sure? There's really little point in buying additional hardware as the video card will likely be able to handle it no problem. The only problem you might run into with audio from the video card is that some older games might not support 5.1 surround through HDMI.

I don't play games on this computer, so it should not be an issue.

I will definitely plug in an HDMI tonight and check this out with my TV. I think I stopped using HDMI for video I think because it didn't scale properly or had some weird shadows in some text. This is why I bought DVI to HDMI and plugged that.  I will provide the info you need on the video card this evening as well.

x79%20audio%20diagram.jpg

This reminds me, I think I just need SPDIF out (optical/toslink) to get that constant line-out to work well with receiver, right? (if I can't manage to get HDMI to send sound signal, should I buy a $20 sound card with Optical out?)

Made me think, so I found the manual, which states:

#6 Front L/R line-out connector

Use the green line-out connector (available on computers

with integrated sound) to attach headphones and most

speakers with integrated amplifiers.

On computers with a sound card, use the connector on the

card.

But there is no line-out per-se, they are all adjusted by Windows. Also this allows windows sound card driver to actively manage the sound, sometimes the sound is so low, I have to increase the volume to hear anything then suddenly I get a loud scene and it's like hell in my living room, I have to grab remote an reduce the volume.

Adjusting loudness equalization doesn't help, in fact it makes it worse most of the time, maybe I am not adjusting it correctly.

No matter what sound output you have windows will be able to adjust the audio output since windows is renderign the sound. the only exception is digital pass throughs, which is only for movie files with digital audio embedded and with SPDIF or HDMI out. 

But there is no line-out per-se, they are all adjusted by Windows. 

Well, basically, with an onboard audio controller, Green is always line out - or the the jack you would plug your speakers into.  So that would be used into your receiver, if you don't have HDMI into your receiver, or SPD/IF out into your receiver if it has a digital line-in connector.

I would say that if you're running audio from your PC into a receiver / home stereo system, it's a good idea to get a discrete sound card.  I do this exact thing, and I have the Asus Xonar Essence STX audio card.  It's not cheap, about $180.  But the sound from it is incredible.  My audio collection is FLAC, I have it going into my receiver from the digital coaxial output of the card.  It makes a big difference, believe me.

Well, basically, with an onboard audio controller, Green is always line out - or the the jack you would plug your speakers into.  So that would be used into your receiver, if you don't have HDMI into your receiver, or SPD/IF out into your receiver if it has a digital line-in connector.

Thanks. I wish I had SPD/IF, it would eliminate any kind of distortion or cable issues since I am running 3ft 3.5mm to RCA Female, coupled with 25ft RCA extension... I just bought a 25ft 3.5mm to RCA + Ground Loop isolator from Radio Shack to eliminate issues with ground loop (I used to pick up FM signals all the time, it's better recently but I'll still swap the cables)

I would say that if you're running audio from your PC into a receiver / home stereo system, it's a good idea to get a discrete sound card.  I do this exact thing, and I have the Asus Xonar Essence STX audio card.  It's not cheap, about $180.  But the sound from it is incredible.  My audio collection is FLAC, I have it going into my receiver from the digital coaxial output of the card.  It makes a big difference, believe me.

Most of my audio is not that great including audio tracks of the movies, they are usually just stereo mp3 tracks unless I am streaming from Amazon Prime. However even with not-so-great audio track, I need to get rid of the variable volume level problem that I have been having. I think a new receiver might be able to handle this type of issues better as well.

Actually, if you use digital audio out, there's absolutely no reason to use a discrete sound card, unless you're using DTS live/DD Interactive live conversion (necessary to get surround out from some sources. 

Thanks. I wish I had SPD/IF, it would eliminate any kind of distortion or cable issues since I am running 3ft 3.5mm to RCA Female, coupled with 25ft RCA extension... I just bought a 25ft 3.5mm to RCA + Ground Loop isolator from Radio Shack to eliminate issues with ground loop (I used to pick up FM signals all the time, it's better recently but I'll still swap the cables)

Most of my audio is not that great including audio tracks of the movies, they are usually just stereo mp3 tracks unless I am streaming from Amazon Prime. However even with not-so-great audio track, I need to get rid of the variable volume level problem that I have been having. I think a new receiver might be able to handle this type of issues better as well.

Are you sure non of the outputs are spdif combo plug ?(jack and TOSLink in one)

What does the manual label that white jack as? It's probably SP/DIF. You'd just need a cord that goes from phono jack to RCA.

EDIT: Looks like white/gray is for surround presence speakers. You may get lucky and the green front L/R jack does pin sense and can output digital. It depends on how the audio IC was implemented.

What does the manual label that white jack as? It's probably SP/DIF. You'd just need a cord that goes from phono jack to RCA.

EDIT: Looks like white/gray is for surround presence speakers. You may get lucky and the green front L/R jack does pin sense and can output digital. It depends on how the audio IC was implemented.

It says "side L/R surround

connector"

"Use the gray connector to provide enhanced surround

audio for computers with 7.1 speakers.

On computers with a sound card, the microphone

connector is on the card."

I got my 6ft HDMI cable, only to find out it is not long enough to run to my PC. Great. And I can't move my PC because I happened to run the cables through behind the long cabinets.. I will try to move the whole PC with just power and see if I can bring it close enough to test HDMI if it sends Audio.

It says "side L/R surround

connector"

"Use the gray connector to provide enhanced surround

audio for computers with 7.1 speakers.

On computers with a sound card, the microphone

connector is on the card."

I got my 6ft HDMI cable, only to find out it is not long enough to run to my PC. Great. And I can't move my PC because I happened to run the cables through behind the long cabinets.. I will try to move the whole PC with just power and see if I can bring it close enough to test HDMI if it sends Audio.

Check on the motherboard and see if there's a digital audio header. Unless it's integrated video, you may have to connect that to your video card with a jumper wire to get the audio over HDMI. Mine was a 4-pin connecter that looks like the ones that were required for CDDA audio on the back of optical drives.

It is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125250

You guys were right. I checked the model, it's ATI Radeon 4550 and yes it does have audio over HDMI, and ATI Sound Device appeared after I plugged in the HDMI and with HDMI and DVI it still worked. Although there is a little fade with instantaneous sounds. For example the windows volume "ding" is very fade, unless I keep hitting up and down and the continuous ding, ding, ding seems to get louder. It seems to be fine with normal video files, but I am concerned that if there is a silence in a movie and then subtle short sounds, it may not catch those and reproduce properly. I don't know if it is my TV or the way ATI is sending the signal but I noticed this.

Check on the motherboard and see if there's a digital audio header. Unless it's integrated video, you may have to connect that to your video card with a jumper wire to get the audio over HDMI. Mine was a 4-pin connecter that looks like the ones that were required for CDDA audio on the back of optical drives.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't need to go through this, turns out Audio was available through HDMI.

It is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125250

You guys were right. I checked the model, it's ATI Radeon 4550 and yes it does have audio over HDMI, and ATI Sound Device appeared after I plugged in the HDMI and with HDMI and DVI it still worked. Although there is a little fade with instantaneous sounds. For example the windows volume "ding" is very fade, unless I keep hitting up and down and the continuous ding, ding, ding seems to get louder. It seems to be fine with normal video files, but I am concerned that if there is a silence in a movie and then subtle short sounds, it may not catch those and reproduce properly. I don't know if it is my TV or the way ATI is sending the signal but I noticed this.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't need to go through this, turns out Audio was available through HDMI.

That slight delay in hearing the windows volume only occurs when there is no source of audio for a short while. If you're watching a movie it will have a constant source of audio even if no sound is being played at the moment. I don't know if it's a receiver problem or a windows problem, but it's really a non issue most of the time.

That slight delay in hearing the windows volume only occurs when there is no source of audio for a short while. If you're watching a movie it will have a constant source of audio even if no sound is being played at the moment. I don't know if it's a receiver problem or a windows problem, but it's really a non issue most of the time.

I had the same issue with PS3 that's connected to my current (12yr old) receiver via Toslink. Those little clicks when you browse the XMB they always come and go, but it didn't have any problems with BD playback. You are right.

So, when I am ordering my new receiver, I better make sure I also order a new HDMI cable that's long enough. I just noticed HDMI picture is 10 times better than what I get through DVI. For some reason it was opposite in the past.

hdmi and dvi should be identical, it's the exact same signal.

the clicks and fade is a combination of sound card and receiver. receiver turns off when no digital audio arrives. This is one place where discrete sound cards with DTS Live or DD interactive benefits, by live converting the audio they can keep the channel live all the time, while also giving you surround out digitally from you browser. plex and Kodi also both have an option in them to keep the audio device on, avoiding clicks in the gui. during movies this is a non issue as already described

hdmi and dvi should be identical, it's the exact same signal.

the clicks and fade is a combination of sound card and receiver. receiver turns off when no digital audio arrives. This is one place where discrete sound cards with DTS Live or DD interactive benefits, by live converting the audio they can keep the channel live all the time, while also giving you surround out digitally from you browser. plex and Kodi also both have an option in them to keep the audio device on, avoiding clicks in the gui. during movies this is a non issue as already described

Thanks,

I can't wait to get my new receiver. I just don't know if hdcp  2.2 is really relevant or not.