uTorrent hopes to regain trust after BitCoin mining controversy

yeah, their website looks like geocities times... thanks! Ill give it a go!

What exactly does it do ?

it has a feature that allows it to pretend its another bittorrent client (similar to user agent spoofing in a browser), private trackers don't like this and ban clients that have that feature.

In simple terms, tixati has options that certain idiots do not like. They "ban" the client since it has those options forgetting that the people who actually want to use those said options do not use tixati. Those people will just use "hacked" uTorrent that can not be differentiated from the real deal. In other words, some private tracker mods are idiots.

they don't ban clients because they are idiots (well, I have seen some cases where they ban clients for dumb reasons, but I don't think this is one of them), it is because many private trackers enforce ratio rules, and buggy clients can result in mis reporting of upload/download amounts and things of that nature, for that reason they have a whitelist of allowed clients, and for that reason they don't allow clients with spoofing features.

• Like 3

The ad's and junk with uTorrent is what set me off on it. I found Deluge, not as pretty but works well. Not to mention, it's whats used on my SeedBox. I love it. :) Just wish adding magnet links was easier. :(

i found that some private tracker are foolable, theres way to get around the enforced upload/download ratio.

1. Get scrap data which contain peers lists, save this peers data

2. Temporarily disable the tracker

3. Add the peers (which you obtained from step 1) 'manually' some torrent-client allows adding peers in batch

4. When the download completed, enable the tracker again

The private tracker will think that I have acceptable upload/download ratio.

• Like 1

it has a feature that allows it to pretend its another bittorrent client (similar to user agent spoofing in a browser), private trackers don't like this and ban clients that have that feature.

they don't ban clients because they are idiots (well, I have seen some cases where they ban clients for dumb reasons, but I don't think this is one of them), it is because many private trackers enforce ratio rules, and buggy clients can result in mis reporting of upload/download amounts and things of that nature, for that reason they have a whitelist of allowed clients, and for that reason they don't allow clients with spoofing features.

Yes, they are idiots for banning tixati because "user agent" means nothing. Anyone trying to game the ratio rules will not be using tixati. They will be using a torrent client that actually games the ratio while reporting itself as a stable popular version of uTorrent.

And here's the funny part: you can put uTorrent in that tixati option and use it on any private tracker without getting any ban because they are unable to determine whether you are using tixati or utorrent. So what's the point of ban again?

They've lost my trust long before the bitcoin incident, switched to Tixati and never looked back.

Yes. Tixati has almost every good feature of uT and then some.

I left uTorrent awhile back and went to Deluge and now am on Qbittorrent which is a great client and all but is missing one feature which I really liked in utorrent and that is when you download a file and its completed you could select 'open file destination' and it would open the folder with the file and highlight/select the downloaded file. Deluge and Qbittorrent both open the folder but don't highlight/select the file.

It would be handy to have if you have a lot of files in your downloads folder, does Tixati have this?

or anyone know if any other utorrent alternatives with that feature?

I left uTorrent awhile back and went to Deluge and now am on Qbittorrent which is a great client and all but is missing one feature which I really liked in utorrent and that is when you download a file and its completed you could select 'open file destination' and it would open the folder with the file and highlight/select the downloaded file. Deluge and Qbittorrent both open the folder but don't highlight/select the file.

It would be handy to have if you have a lot of files in your downloads folder, does Tixati have this?

or anyone know if any other utorrent alternatives with that feature?

I actually moved to qB from uT. But I found qB to be horribly buggy and not enough poweruser features. Then found Tixati and quite happy with it. The only problem Tixati has is adding a torrent with 19286739128 files takes a while. But then again, I never found a torrent like that let alone needing to add any.

Yes, Tixati selects the file in Windows Explorer.

I actually moved to qB from uT. But I found qB to be horribly buggy and not enough poweruser features. Then found Tixati and quite happy with it. The only problem Tixati has is adding a torrent with 19286739128 files takes a while. But then again, I never found a torrent like that let alone needing to add any.

Not sure when you last used qB but its stable now, I'm using the latest alpha build and even then I haven't experienced any bugs. You can get more poweruser type features via plugins for it but it doesn't have the file highlight/select when you open file location. If it did I would have stayed with it as its pretty much perfect for me except for that missing feature.

Will give Tixati a go, thanks for the info.

When I install software, I dont like it when I have to click "Decline Offers" 5 times, then I find it is littered with ads.  Then this mining crap - good riddance uTorrent.

When this issue first hit the net, I uninstalled it.  Then, following some good advice in here - I installed qBittorrent.  Havent looked back.

post-508501-0-24570300-1429444483.png

< not a "power user"

I see its downloading @ 10MB/sec - Im happy.

You guys know you can turn off the ads in uTorrent right?

Personally, I dont see what the fuss is about. It uses CPU/GPU cycles for bitcoins for charity. I dont know.

Its funny that people complain about ads in uTorrent and dont about the ones on Neowin. We cant have everything in life free, guys.

Anyways, Im glad there are alternatives out there at least that make you guys happy.

Personally, I dont see what the fuss is about. It uses CPU/GPU cycles for bitcoins for charity. I dont know.

Its funny that people complain about ads in uTorrent and dont about the ones on Neowin. We cant have everything in life free, guys.

Anyways, Im glad there are alternatives out there at least that make you guys happy.

No, you cannot turn all of the ads off anymore. You can still skip the installer offers but many of the options to remove the offers/ads in the UI don't do anything anymore. They will show as "disabled" but they're not.

If they want to rebuild trust they need to strip ALL of that from both the application and the installer and not put them back.

:rolleyes:

I've found myself moving away from uTorrent all together.  Not necessarily because of the installation process (like this bitcoin controversy) but because of ads which, as another user mentioned, cannot be 100% disabled now.  I also cannot think of anything that uTorrent can do that qB cannot.  I think qB is now what uTorrent was...lean and to the point.

• Like 2

No, you cannot turn all of the ads off anymore. You can still skip the installer offers but many of the options to remove the offers/ads in the UI don't do anything anymore. They will show as "disabled" but they're not.

QfoZpEM.png

• Like 1

Gave Tixati a go and it's not for me, too much shell options when right-clicking a torrent. Don't need a share, chat and home log tab either. I prefer it to just be a minimalist torrent client while tixati seems to cater to the powerusers and has many options which are not user friendly. I had to search the forums for how to enable auto-start torrents instead of opening with a prompt every time and it had two options I had to deselect for it "activate main window when new transfers are loaded" (So it didn't open the client to front when adding a torrent) and also another option which is in a secondary settings configuration under Transfer loading priority/location prompt > Created in Add window or shell.

Not only is it not very user friendly my download speeds on it are fairly terrible, I went from being able to downloading linux distro's at 8 mb/s on qbittorrent to downloading them at 0.25 mb/s on tixati. I'm sure it could do better if I modified the connection settings but I don't want to be configuring the overly complicated settings when other clients work out of the box or with just some minor changes.

It also feels a bit sluggish and uses more than what I expected memory and cpu for a torrent client, its not very light.

I'm moving back to Qbittorrent and hopefully they will add the select/highlight file when doing a right click open folder command in the future, otherwise qbittorrent is perfect for me.

• Like 1

I think uTorrent lost our trust few years ago and forever .

uTorrent won't gain our trust back. Won't ever happen. I mean, that's like Microsoft invalidating all our legitimate serials, and asking us to buy them again if we want our sh*t back. =/

I had uTorrent for the longest time after the Ads on Azure came. That really set me off, and then uTorrent received ads. Now I use Deluge.

Best decision ever.