Google Gets Into Battery Arms Race

Google Inc. has joined the search for better batteries to power its expansion into consumer electronics and other hardware.

In late 2012, a team led by former Apple Inc. battery expert Dr. Ramesh Bhardwaj began testing batteries developed by others for use in Google devices. About a year later, the group expanded to look at battery technologies that Google might develop itself, according to people familiar with the matter.

The group, part of the Google X research lab, is small, with just four members. A Google spokeswoman declined to comment or to make Dr. Bhardwaj available.

Google in recent years has moved into industries such as transportation, health care, robotics and communications, designing physical devices that require efficient batteries. Chief Executive Larry Page told analysts in 2013 that battery life for mobile devices is a

I don't get it, why is that a (tactical) face palm?

Because the quote said the batteries are recharged with electricity.  So it's a facepalm because it's a dumb statement.  How else would you charge them, with firewood?

Because the quote said the batteries are recharged with electricity.  So it's a facepalm because it's a dumb statement.  How else would you charge them, with firewood?

Maybe they meant plug-in electricity as opposed to solar power or some kinetic energy source.

Maybe they meant plug-in electricity as opposed to solar power or some kinetic energy source.

I'm missing the distinguishing feature between electricities from those sources.

I'm missing the distinguishing feature between electricities from those sources.

That's not what I was talking about. I was just saying the article was generic in referring to 'electricity' rather than specifying where the electricity comes from.

Maybe if that's what they meant they should have written it properly?  I dunno, I could be wrong about why he's facepalming too.