I need to find a DLL, please see screen grab.

I want to change all these user picture frames in Windows 7 Ultimate Edition x64 for something that is more appealing. I know of two DLL files that have them resources:

authui.dll (login screen)

explorer.dll (user menu)

But the one you see here beats me as to where the BMP resources for it may be. Does anyone know what DLL file it is?

156c01v.png

Are you using this dialog enough for this to really matter?

Anyway, unless you know how to use a debugger your best bet is probably to use Process Explorer: Use the crosshairs on the toolbar to find the process (probably explorer.exe) and turn on the lower pane and investigate every Microsoft .dll listed there with your resource editor...

Not really using it that much, of course, it's all about being thorough, within reason that is. I guess Process Explorer indeed could help. Thanks. Turning UAC off is one of the first things I do with a fresh install of Windows.

Not really using it that much, of course, it's all about being thorough, within reason that is. I guess Process Explorer indeed could help. Thanks. Turning UAC off is one of the first things I do with a fresh install of Windows.

Yes, yes, how l33t you are. It's not like UAC is a core component of Windows and being turned off could possibly break god knows how many subsystems, not to mention leave the computer vulnerable.

Windows File Protection is the service that checks for system file integrity, not UAC. And I'm pretty sure that only checks for the core shell and kernel files.

Yes, yes, how l33t you are. It's not like UAC is a core component of Windows and being turned off could possibly break god knows how many subsystems, not to mention leave the computer vulnerable.

Windows File Protection is the service that checks for system file integrity, not UAC. And I'm pretty sure that only checks for the core shell and kernel files.

UAC off only screws up modern apps, so no loss there. Aside from that you're just at pre-Vista security, which is a joke and that's why you shouldn't turn UAC off.

They are in the authui.dll in C:\Windows\System32 and if you have 64 bit system it will also be in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 both need edited. Use copy's of the authui.dll to edit.
They are in a Bitmap folder look at screenshot for bitmap #s there is 1 .png in the Image folder to. I edited them all to make sure I got it.
You will need to use a resource hacker of some kind to export/import the bitmap and png images and a image editor.

27zx2bo.png

23ixket.png

To properly change a system file you need to take ownership give yourself permission and rename the old file and then copy in the new one...

source: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/262326-logon-screen-user-picture-frame.html#post2164198

Results:

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/262326-logon-screen-user-picture-frame.html#post2166124
  • Like 2

l33t! Come on! It's my laptop to do whatever the duck I want with it. So I turn UAC off, something eventually breaks or whatever, I reinstall a partition image I made just in case. I use Sandboxie, Virtualization, hosts file, etc... to keep my laptop secure despite having turned UAC off, for each its own right!

Damian2015, when I am done editing offline files, I reboot and load a Linux Live environment I replace easily files with. I am almost certain that I tackled both the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version of authui.dll, but I will check again.

Yes, Damian 2015, I indeed missed the 14002 resource, thanks a ton. :D

l33t! Come on! It's my laptop to do whatever the duck I want with it. So I turn UAC off, something eventually breaks or whatever, I reinstall a partition image I made just in case. I use Sandboxie, Virtualization, hosts file, etc... to keep my laptop secure despite having turned UAC off, for each its own right!

That's a whole lot of effort to avoid having to click 'yes' or 'no' absolutely once in a blue moon if there's a security question a human needs to answer.

Not really, Sandboxie for instance is only for new stuff that seems interesting but I am not sure yet I can trust the publisher; that's about it. Virtualization is for XP stuff that won't work with Windows 7, so it isn't a daily thing either, the hosts file just sits there. This thread is about something else, though.

Why has this even turned in to a discussion about UAC? I agree, i find turning it off silly and more effort than it's worth, but if this user has chosen to then so be it.

The entire thread was supposed to be the location of a resource in a DLL file and somehow it got side tracked for no good reason, yet again.

On topic: OP, what are you replacing those frame borders with, i'd be interested to see.

I've turned off then disabled UAC on every install since the Vista days.

No problems, just more system resources at my disposal and less annoying Windows messages.

Here's the thing, I made a user picture frame, using one of Mattahan's icons, a postal stamp icon in the Super Buuf icon set. It is working on the user menu and on the login screen, but on the user accounts page it is not. I tried th suggestion above, I have indeed overlooked the resource 14002, but that did nothing. This resource must be invoked from a different DLL file.

24osema.png

I found the file, shacct.dll was the one. I only need to work on those two white lines and I'll be done. The white lines appeared because the original BMP resource in shacct.dll was not centered as it should have been, but I can still make it work and make it unnoticeable with a little icon editing.

post-545622-0-01853800-1429210558.png