March 2015 NPD

Notes

Numbers are U.S. only retail sales.  They do not include digital downloads (unless otherwise noted) and hardware bundles count only toward hardware sales and not the game(s) that are included.  The order of the platforms in parenthesis after a software title is from most sales to least.  So for example Battlefield: Hardline sold the most copies on Xbox One and the least on PC in March.

Software

1. Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, 360, PS3, PC)
2. Bloodborne (PS4)
3. Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
4. Mario Party 10 (Wii U) (sold 290,000 copies physical and digital, according to Nintendo)
5. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
6. MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
7. Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
8. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
9. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)
10. Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD (PS4, Xbox One)

Hardware

Sony:

We are truly honored PlayStation 4 is the top-selling console and No. 1 in software sales again according to NPD sales data for March 2015,
PS4 remains the cumulative sales leader both globally and in the United States and we want to thank gamers worldwide for their ongoing support.

Microsoft:

In March, cumulative U.S. Xbox One sales continued to outpace Xbox 360 sales at the same point in its lifecycle

Nintendo:

The New Nintendo 3DS XL system continues to inject growth into Nintendo

Maybe it's explained in the article, but I have a policy of closing a site that presents me with their newsletter plan when I haven't read the article. What does NPD stand for?

Maybe it's explained in the article, but I have a policy of closing a site that presents me with their newsletter plan when I haven't read the article. What does NPD stand for?

According to Wikipedia National Purchase Diary.

There is a good writeup image about it here... it says exclusively for them so I don't think they want it reposted so you need to go to the source:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1023397

NPD results are not free. The details are always shared though.

OT: GG Sony (Y)

The link was a Q&A about who NPD is written by Aquamarine for NeoGAF, not about the numbers specifically.  Nick H seemed curious about who NPD even was.

Aquamarine was their source until recently when she got caught.  She works for JPMorgan Chase & Co. and they have access to the actual NPD numbers.

Here's her farewell letter for anyone interested:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155230729&postcount=370

• Like 1