Chrome extends XP support longer

With hundreds of millions still using Windows XP with no plans to change anytime soon forced Googles hand to continue supporting it. At least until the end of 2016. China still has 1/3 of it's pcs still running the obsolete OS. Many still use IE 6 as well causing Web designers to use 15 year old hacks.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-extends-chrome-support-for-millions-still-on-windows-xp/

The problem with China is that any software that has a $ sign in front of it will just simply be pirated, hence why they will not upgrade. As for the rest of the world i would like to think the remaining Windows XP installs are due to specialized hardware and/or software apps that were written to use specific features of XP such as IE 6.

The problem with China is that any software that has a $ sign in front of it will just simply be pirated, hence why they will not upgrade. As for the rest of the world i would like to think the remaining Windows XP installs are due to specialized hardware and/or software apps that were written to use specific features of XP such as IE 6.

There are lots of small to medium sized businesses without IT departments in western countries running XP. Florida has a lot too due to retirees with little computer knowledge and income as well.

A contractor who worked for a network company told me 1/3 of the the small business customers still run it! Even threatening they are vulnerable still don't care. They have insurance and have a nephew that is handy with computers if they get infected etc.

XP is far from dead and will probably still be here in 2020 too when Windows 7 goes eol. Lol

That's the problem right there. If companies like Google discontinue their services to XP, then people will be forced to change. Even though Microsoft killed it, its ghost still wanders due to the continued support by other companies. I say Microsoft should force all the companies to withdraw support for XP. Mostly these machines will be running on very low specs, So other than browsing and some word processing they isn't going to much for other companies to provide. These companies can tell XP users that they can utilize the full potential of their services on a higher OS. Probably the best way is to educate them to change.

• 1 month later...

as a software engineer, I hate windows xp.

having to code support for modern windows and then windows xp is sometimes headache.

because some code will work on windows xp but not on newer windows and vise versa.

but then also had same problem with windows 7 and windows 8.1, but again that was due to using legacy code that was not compatible with 8.1

by chrome not supporting windows xp, chrome will be able to really stretch it legs.