Upgrade help/advice

Hello guys! I got a pc last week in trade for my xbox... and i am upgrading it over the next month or two. My specs are currently:

305w PSU

Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz

4 GB Ram

AMD Radeon 7700 series (doesnt say what model 7750 etc)

Im starting off upgrading the graphics card and have a budget of max

You can't upgrade to a 1150 socket on a 775 socket...

Plus that RAM is DDR3, your board has DDR2

First thing I would upgrade is that PSU. Next I would add more RAM, then your GFX card.

Probably should of mentioned i was aware of the socket problem so was going to be getting a board + processor (derp) BUT didn't know it was DDR 2 ram i had.... so thanks for that! Know my pc better than myself hehe It was a faulty xbox one so i got a fair deal luckily.

May as well forget the original post. How would you upgrade this PC if you had 150 -

I was about to say that if that was an Xbox One, I think you got ripped off even if faulty as surely it's still covered by warranty?

If you're expecting to play the same types of games on your new PC as you did the Xbox One, you might be a little disappointed I'm afraid.

You've bought something that is unfortunately not easily upgradable to what you're aiming for. Even if you manage to get a new board/CPU & RAM (which is likely going to vastly outstretch your budget with just two of those items), then you'll have to consider the case & cooling options. I'm assuming you've likely acquired a home user PC by a pre-built OEM, so corners are going to be cut regarding what you can fit in there or how optimal simple things are that you expect from a normal quality machine.

World of Warcraft is very CPU and raw GPU throughput dependant (as in Direct X feature level improvements do not scale with the game), so you'll find not a lot of difference in the mid-range cards or lower regardless of generation.

I wasn't expecting to be playing the same games fortunately, i kind of wanted a project if that's what you want to call it? Something i could play the games i missed like World of warcraft while i was acquiring the upgrades for the machine and this just so happened to be the day i could start acquiring upgrades.

Sounds like i've messed up a little. Had i may as well wait till next week when i'll be able to afford these parts and carry over my gfx card rather than getting a GTX 750 TI tomorrow and waiting 2 weeks and getting them:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/125368/90MB0G50-M0EAY5/Motherboards/Asus-B85M-G-Motherboard/MBD0741/

http://www.cclonline.com/product/150536/BX80646I54460/CPU-Processors/Intel-4th-Generation-Core-i5-4460-3-2GHz-Quad-Core-Processor-6MB-L3-Cache-Boxed-/CPU0274/

http://www.cclonline.com/product/146234/HX313C9F/4/Desktop-Memory/HyperX-FURY-Blue-4GB-1-x-4GB-Memory-Module-1333MHz-DDR3-CL9-DIMM/RAM1853/

Nothing would really stop you from installing a 750Ti (other than maybe the case physically if it's a mATX OEM one that's not catering for it). I wouldn't try and play a Crytek game for 3hrs straight without putting a significant load on your likely "balanced to a price-point" PSU though.

As advised, replace that first before anything else. I would imagine you are going to probably replace everything eventually over time I'm afraid but you've stated you wanted a project. :)

You guys have the patience of saints i swear down... Thanks for the advice Aergan.

Narrowed it down to these 2 paths:

Tomorrow: GTX 750 TI + 550w Later: mobo, ram and processor

Next week: mobo, ram and processor + Keep gfx card 

Guessing the mobo path is the best/most noticeable upgrade performance wise?

I'd say with the socket 775/1150 issue, get a new motherboard. one that allows you to get a CPU that will give you a few years.

then PSU since power consumption changes with new technologies

then go with a mid range AMD, Nvidia card if budget minded. if not then a Directx12 card for Windows 10 release.

then update to SSD drives.

Mobo, processor & RAM will be the best initial performance increase other than an SSD which I'd highly recommend, even if its just a small 120GB for a boot drive and a few common programs.

The only other things to consider is that Intel are bringing out Skylake before the end of the year...so if you can hold out until then, maybe add an SSD and GPU now and save the Mobo, CPU & RAM for later (plus then you can get DDR4 RAM)

As for GPU you might also want to look at the AMD R9 270, out benchmarks the 750Ti by a chunk (AMD cards are usually better if your on a budget, i.e more bang for the buck)

You should also check out https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/
it can help you make the build (tells you if components don't work together and tracks/gives the lowest price from a range of websites.

Phil, thats thats answered all my questions. Not sure i can hold out till the end over the year... but i'll try to save up money. If all else fails a I5, 8 GB ram and a 750 ti should satisfy me for a while i hope. As long as a i5, 750 ti build lasts me 2 years that is. Thanks guys, couldn't of done this without help. Sorry for the bother,