Need help, can't update ipad 4, error 3014 :(

I was trying to update my ipad 4 from version 7.1.1 to the latest, since it's always asking to update... followed all the steps ended up with that error and now the ipad just shows the recovery screen and i can't update it.

Here a few things before you ask:

• cable is original
  • tried different usb ports
  • firewall and antivirus are turned off
  • itunes is the latest version
  • no mention to apple on my host files
  • using windows 8.1 here
  • never jailbreaked the thing, it's all original!!!

Should i throw the ipad to the garbage and get a new tablet or there is a solution?

I was trying to update my ipad 4 from version 7.1.1 to the latest, since it's always asking to update... followed all the steps ended up with that error and now the ipad just shows the recovery screen and i can't update it.

Here a few things before you ask:

• cable is original
  • tried different usb ports
  • firewall and antivirus are turned off
  • itunes is the latest version
  • no mention to apple on my host files
  • using windows 8.1 here
  • never jailbreaked the thing, it's all original!!!

Should i throw the ipad to the garbage and get a new tablet or there is a solution?

Uhh, before you "throw the iPad to the garbage", you might want to actually forward the issue directly to Apple. Make an Apple Store appointment and see what can be done. Even if you're out of warranty you might as well give it a shot. Or at least post on the Apple forums or do a little more research.

You've still got lots of options. 

For example:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4325304

No apple store in my country. And from what i read, since it doesn't have any warranty the answer will be "pay more than $200 and we fix it".

Is Windows 8.1 detecting the iPad in recovery (DFU) mode?

Yes

Can you obtain and try a different cable?

No

Can you try restoring from a different PC?

Will try tomorrow

Answers above. In any case this should be a simple upgrade, why Apple makes it so complicated and frustrating?

Obviously, the iPad 4 is supported for iOS 8.  But it is stuck because the update is corrupted.  No amount of trying to update via the OTA is going to work.  Try downloading the iPad 4 8.3 ipsw for your model and then install it while it is in dfu mode.

3014 isn't an issue with the iPad, it means iTunes cannot connect to the iTunes server. There's no need to replace your iPad ;).

There are several things to try, many of which have been mentioned above, some of which haven't:

- Reinstall iTunes, completely. There's a guide here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204275

- Check that gs.apple.com is accessible, and that nothing is blocking it. You should be able to resolve gs.apple.com to an IP in the 17.*.*.* range, and if you telnet to port 80 on gs.apple.com, you should get a response from a subdomain of akadns.net

- Make sure you have enough bandwidth available - if you are on a very slow connection, you may have trouble

Worst case scenario, a different computer on a different internet connection should

Seriously...with the amount of time taken to try and fix the problem with the update via OTA, he could just download the ipsw and update it that way.  The update is screwed right now...why continue to try and fix it when you can just get the ipsw from Apple and get the iPad up and running within a few minutes.

Seriously...with the amount of time taken to try and fix the problem with the update via OTA, he could just download the ipsw and update it that way.  The update is screwed right now...why continue to try and fix it when you can just get the ipsw from Apple and get the iPad up and running within a few minutes.

He has tried, and is getting Error 3014 in iTunes.

He has tried, and is getting Error 3014 in iTunes.

Where did he say that he downloaded the ipsw and did a full restore from it?  He clearly stated that he did the update from the OTA update.  iTunes is giving him the 3104 error because the update is corrupted.  It's never going to be fixed.  You need to do a full restore from the ipsw while it is in dfu mode.

Yes, same result...

Where did he say that he downloaded the ipsw and did a full restore from it?  He clearly stated that he did the update from the OTA update.  iTunes is giving him the 3104 error because the update is corrupted.  It's never going to be fixed.  You need to do a full restore from the ipsw while it is in dfu mode.

Post #2 and post #3 in this thread? 3014 means that iTunes cannot connect to the iTunes servers for some reason in order to verify that the build is eligible for installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Solved.

I basically connected the ipad to a different computer.

And yes i had tried to download the update file and tried to restore it via itunes, even so it didn't allow me to update in that way.

• DrunknMunky locked this topic