Pray vs Doctor to save your life

170 members have voted

1. 1. if you have to choose between praying vs seeing a doctor to save you from death.

• praying to god
    • seeing a doctor

The poll forces people to choose what's more I portant when it comes to life and death

The poll attempts to force a grey area into a black/white decision.  That's not how life works for the majority.

I could pit a third option for both but most would pick that.

That should tell you how flawed (deliberately) your poll is.

What I wanted to see if if religious people would pick science over faith.

You have not targeted this at religious people.  You have openly posted it on a predominantly tech - and therefore science - natured forum.

If they were truthful then it would serve my point and get the religious people to think more about if they truthly believe in there faith.

So you admit, you are attempting to skew results to get an outcome that suits your agenda?

• Like 2

Isn't it ?

No - or at least I'd rather hope not.  Very few things in life are black and white.  I am a pure scientific mind, I believe in fact, peer review, what "IS" and so on.  I still find place to understand concepts such as faith, prayer and so on.  I don't see them as 100% conflicting - it is very much a grey area, and to attempt to force it into black/white is the same kind of nonsense that militant atheists or blinded followers use to attempt to "prove" inaccurate points.

The poll attempts to force a grey area into a black/white decision.  That's not how life works for the majority.

That should tell you how flawed (deliberately) your poll is.

You have not targeted this at religious people.  You have openly posted it on a predominantly tech - and therefore science - natured forum.

So you admit, you are attempting to skew results to get an outcome that suits your agenda?

This.

Are there any religions that prevent seeing a doctor? Not talking about particular procedures...but out right you can not see a doctor? I don't think there is.

This poll is nothing but an attention seeker...hoping to cause a flame war. I'm atheist so my answer is simple. Others may seek prayer in addition to a physician. I doubt anyone would pray without also seeing a physician. Except of course when the doctor says there is nothing more that can be done...

• Like 1

A positive mental attitude counts for a lot when trying to battle an illness, which is why those that have a belief and pray feel better when they do such.

Of course this only deals with surface symptoms and praying instead of visiting the doctor, is the quickest way to end up in the ground. Just compare the lifespan of hundreds of years ago to today. People prayed more back then but it sure didn't help them out.

The poll forces people to choose what's more I portant when it comes to life and death. I could pit a third option for both but most would pick that. What I wanted to see if if religious people would pick science over faith. If they were truthful then it would serve my point and get the religious people to think more about if they truthly believe in there faith.

This is only a decision a very small minority of extremists would ever have to worry about.

As some one who has a very large and religious family whenever one of our family members needs medical attention we get it for them. Prayers are also made for their well being. See? Both can be done. No reason why it needs to be one or the other.

What a pointless poll.

This is only a decision a very small minority of extremists would ever have to worry about.

As some one who has a very large and religious family whenever one of our family members needs medical attention we get it for them. Prayers are also made for their well being. See? Both can be done. No reason why it needs to be one or the other.

What a pointless poll.

It's not a pointless poll. Like a said before. It's about choosing which is more important praying and seeing a doctor you save your life. I don't see how a lot of you don't see this.

It's not a pointless poll. Like a said before. It's about choosing which is more important praying and seeing a doctor you save your life. I don't see how a lot of you don't see this.

Answer me honestly: do you know how the answers will pan out?

Because in reality it's not one or the other? I don't see how you don't see this.

Oh wait. I do. You have an agenda you want to pursue and you made the poll options to reflect it. Even after many people in this thread told you it could be both.

Lets be honest. As far as you're concerned there is actually only one choice on the "poll". Right?

• Like 1

Obviously if a doctor is available in a medical emergency you consult a doctor.But I challenge anyone to deny they wouldn't pray to God if their plane was falling out of the sky or their vehicle was heading for a head on collision?It's a no-brainer.  

The thing with people who just use prayer, it natural selection at it's finest :D. Except if it's a parents praying for a kid, then it just sucks to be the kid.

Obviously if a doctor is available in a medical emergency you consult a doctor.But I challenge anyone to deny they wouldn't pray to God if their plane was falling out of the sky or their vehicle was heading for a head on collision?It's a no-brainer.  

Really, people wouldn't pray to their doctor as the plane is dropping from the sky? We aren't talking about catastrophes.

• Like 1

The thing with people who just use prayer, it natural selection at it's finest :D

Really, people wouldn't pray to their doctor as the plane is dropping from the sky? We aren't talking about catastrophes.

You'd do well to actually read the initial post!It says when they are about to DIE for crying out loud.Do i have to spell t out?

I'm glad I don't have to bother with either since I am immortal.  Yep I remember the good ol' days long before praying or doctors.    :shifty:

I prefer to have an animal sacrificed to appease the vengeful god that struck me down with illness. My god demands blood, not mere prayers.

If God won't provide food to a child starving in some god forsaken part of the world despite the child pleading in agony why would that same god help somebody overcome an illness sitting in Melbourne or New York Or Tokyo or London or Berlin or Paris?

Going to the doctor in reasonable. Praying is pointless but if it is done in addition to seeing a doctor it is probably harmless. Only praying is dangerous, foolish, and if forced upon a child, cruel.

• Like 2

"We hear a lot of stories where parents dont believe in doctors and think praying to god can save there kids lives."

No we don't.  And don't go to Google and search and say - see... see!

There is a group here that hates Christians and this "poll" is here to spread more hate.

• Like 1

"We hear a lot of stories where parents dont believe in doctors and think praying to god can save there kids lives."

There is a group here that hates Christians and this "poll" is here to spread more hate.

So if your not a Christian then therefore its hate? Religion gets too much of the special treatment.

"But I challenge anyone to deny they wouldn't pray to God if their plane was falling out of the sky"

I can assure you I would not be praying, what good would it do?  It never ceases to amaze me the limited world view people have.. 

Do you live in the bible belt?  You should get out more and meet people and for sure READ more!!

Might as well be asking santa to hook his reindeer to the plane and keep it from falling, possible superman might swoop in and save it..  Both more likely then prayer helping ;)

Here is my thoughts on prayer.

All the people you see praying before sporting events, praying for a better job, praying for good things to happen - the most selfish people on the planet, period.

Every day there are 20,000 babies that die - some horribly.  A pretty good bet that some were from religious families.  Probably prayed for their god to save their innocent child.

Nothing happened.

What in the hell makes these people think that their prayer will be answered and those were not ?

Wrong God ?   Oh how fortunate you were to be born where you were.  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile Im going to speak some latin over my hamburger tonight - to see if magic happens...sounds crazy doesnt it ?

Here is my thoughts on prayer.

All the people you see praying before sporting events, praying for a better job, praying for good things to happen - the most selfish people on the planet, period.

Every day there are 20,000 babies that die - some horribly.  A pretty good bet that some were from religious families.  Probably prayed for their god to save their innocent child.

Nothing happened.

What in the hell makes these people think that their prayer will be answered and those were not ?

Wrong God ?   Oh how fortunate you were to be born where you were.  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile Im going to speak some latin over my hamburger tonight - to see if magic happens...sounds crazy doesnt it ?

I always enjoy post game prayer speeches.  "Thank God he let us win today"

You know...because God really didn't like the other team.

Christian Scientists refuse medical care. Jehovah's Witnesses regularly refuse blood transfusions. It's funny you tell people not to research it with Google.

The topic is generically about 'god'. Christians have no monopoly on that concept.