Pray vs Doctor to save your life

170 members have voted

1. 1. if you have to choose between praying vs seeing a doctor to save you from death.

• praying to god
    • seeing a doctor

If you truly do believe it is all in God's Hands, then just choose to believe God also put Doctors on planet Earth for a reason as well.

Doesn't really address why any of the suffering is necessary in the first place. No one can argue the freewill angle when it comes to disease or victims of natural disasters or anything like that. Exposure to those sorts of things have nothing to do with any notions of freewill.

If you want me to follow exactly what the bible says, then God has a plan and He loves everyone no matter what and is willing to forgive them. From your point of view, since you don't know God's plan, and you can't see the whole picture it is confusing and sometimes you don't know why something happened.  (I don't know the whole plan either, so yes it is weird for me as well). As shocking as it may seem to you, every person is different and created differently: individually.

The bible was written by man ergo it is inherently flawed.

Do you know what part of the plan is?  If so ... how certain and what proof?

• Like 1

after my two surgeries within a week of each other last year, I prayed that I'd survive since doctors before that time said I should be dead based upon my medical history. that's cemented my faith even more than ever before.

after my two surgeries within a week of each other last year, I prayed that I'd survive since doctors before that time said I should be dead based upon my medical history. that's cemented my faith even more than ever before.

So please tell me why you are so special, that he saved you and chose to let so many others die ? 

I knew a 5 year old boy with a brain tumor and had 2 surgeries, the doctors said he might make it, but he didn't.  I am willing to bet anything that the parents prayed infinity harder that you did since 1) it was for a child 2) there were 2 people praying 3) they were parents. Question: Why is your life more valuable to your god then a 5 year old boy? (before you say anything, I am also willing to bet you will say "i don't know, but god knows"

its all about GODS will. may sound awful but its true. we aren't promised tomorrow. but I don't want to turn this into a massive theology debate

its all about GODS will. may sound awful but its true. we aren't promised tomorrow. but I don't want to turn this into a massive theology debate

I have to agree with you on this. Its the only way I can make sense out of this when prayers don't get answered. I believe that some where down the line when someone isn't healed by God it could be that he might have a plan for how their death/illness could change someone else's life. For instance, the person dying could be an organ donor and the person receiving said organs could go on to become a preacher who saves thousands of souls. Think of it as one dies for the greater good. I can use a death of a family member that devastated my family. The person who died was the glue that kept the family together. Once they were gone the other family members had to step up and take up the slack as well as stop being an enabler for failure of other family members. It made us stronger in the end.

So its 'god's will' that i have a stage 4 neoplasm glioblastoma tumor growing in the prefrotal cortex of my brain that causes me to have grand mal seizures all the time. Interesting. I hope that when i do die after leaving a 14 year old daughter and wife that i get a chance to kick his ass for the hand he drew for me.

• Like 3

So its 'god's will' that i have a stage 4 neoplasm glioblastoma tumor growing in the prefrotal cortex of my brain that causes me to have grand mal seizures all the time. Interesting. I hope that when i do die after leaving a 14 year old daughter and wife that i get a chance to kick his ass for the hand he drew for me.

Yeah.... because its "god's will" & he deemed chris1968 was better..... :rolleyes:

I am sorry you are suffering with your illness.  I won't pray for you - sounds like you are smarter than that.

But I *hope* you are comfortable and your family is well.

• Like 2

Illness/death are easiest ways for "faith" to be tested.  I grew up in a typical Catholic family, everyone in my family did all the stuff expected, went to church, did the baptism, first communion, CCD, confirmation, married in a church, etc.  Once me and my siblings got older and started working on weekends we stopped going to church but my father and mom kept going.  Sometime in 2007 my mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, they started treatment but my father also stepped up his prayers, went to church on saturday, went to novena when available etc.  In 2008 my mom past away, I cannot tell you how quickly I lost faith in God, sure ive been told throughout my years about his plan for everyone and all that good stuff.  Sorry, I just had to stop buying into it, no amount of reading or convincing of someone can tell me that my mother had to die before she got to see my kids.  After my moms passing my father seemed to become even more religious while I basically completely have decided to give it up.  Do I believe in some higher power.. sure, do I believe this higher power can choose who lives and who dies.. no chance.  Sorry for the rant, but as far as I am concerned, doctors and chemo are what help my mother live long enough to see me get married. 

• Like 2

Yeah.... because its "god's will" & he deemed chris1968 was better..... :rolleyes:

I am sorry you are suffering with your illness.  I won't pray for you - sounds like you are smarter than that.

But I *hope* you are comfortable and your family is well.

Oh, they are, and im fine with it, and thank you.

There have been phenomena unexplained by current medical understanding. It doesn't mean God necessarily does or does not exist. The best position is to say "I don't know" until you have a definitive answer.

Prayers are a form of spiritual health. It is part and parcel of a religious individual. Further, spirituality is an integral part of a normal human's wellbeing. Medical care has gone beyond just treating the physical.

So pray if one must, but seeing a doctor for physical and mental problems is still the best proven solution in the short term and long term.

Praying to God and seeing a doctor are not mutually exclusive. If anything, you should do both if you're a person of faith!

Don't forget though, whilst you're busy praying to god to make you better, be sure to ask the bugger why he made you sick in the first place. ;)

Praying? Might as well talk to yourself, God's in your head anyways.

• 5 months later...

What good will praying to a non-existent being do? Of course I'll consult a doctor.

Speaking from experience here with some doctors, praying to a non-existent being might just increase your odds of survival. Basically YMMV.