Pray vs Doctor to save your life

170 members have voted

1. 1. if you have to choose between praying vs seeing a doctor to save you from death.

• praying to god
    • seeing a doctor

I like reading posts from kids who never read the Bible, but they know EVERYTHING.

Funny, most people here HAVE read it, and are of adult age. Perhaps the only child here is you.

• Like 2

There is a group here that hates Christians and this "poll" is here to spread more hate.

No, this is nothing against religion.  Just the poll is kind of moronic.  As another user pointed out...only the extremely religious person would not seek a medical profession and just turn towards prayer.  Religious people would turn to prayer and seek medical care.  Religious people (and I'm sure some non-religious) would turn towards prayer when no more medical care can be given (terminal).

The poll though...if you just had to choose one or the other is not very good.  There should have been a third option.

Go ahead and continue your hate - don't let me interfere.

"It's funny you tell people not to research it with Google."

I didn't say that.  Go ahead and search until you are blue in the face..  The GOTCHA! moment is over.

"Funny, most people here HAVE read it, and are of adult age. Perhaps the only child here is you."

Personal insults - what else would you expect?

You can keep me out of your little tirade of hate from now on - I'm outta here.

If "your god" is all powerful, nothing happens outside your gods will, so the reason for your aliment is within his plan and indeed intentional. Why would you want to mess with "your gods" will? If he didn't want you in pain, he wouldn't have made you experience pain in the first place.     ;)

And what if it is His plan to have you go to the doctor? Since God has a plan, something you are forgetting is that it is unchangeable, no matter what you do that is how it is supposed to be. :jump:

This poll is broken...

this thread r be funneh.  But yea.. talking to myself won't heal me.. I'll go to a doctor.. who was trained.. in school and in life...and exists...

Just like God. How do you know for a fact he doesn't exist then? How about the proof that every snowflake is different, how complex the mind is, how math exists and how each species can be classified and related, or how DNA exists in the first place, why DNA? and why in every species?

I don't understand people's outright anger at the faith of other people. I agree that it is bad if it forces behavior on others, but as long as they keep their own faith, that is their concern to rationalize it.

• Like 3

I don't understand people's outright anger at the faith of other people. I agree that it is bad if it forces behavior on others, but as long as they keep their own faith, that is their concern to rationalize it.

What "outright anger"?

And what if it is His plan to have you go to the doctor? Since God has a plan, something you are forgetting is that it is unchangeable, no matter what you do that is how it is supposed to be. :jump:

This poll is broken...

Just like God. How do you know for a fact he doesn't exist then? How about the proof that every snowflake is different, how complex the mind is, how math exists and how each species can be classified and related, or how DNA exists in the first place, why DNA? and why in every species?

I would be more than happy to blow a hole wide open in your comments to discuss these topics further, but we should move it to another thread.

In short, what you asked is fallacious logic.  Its called "God of the Gaps" - and the failed logic in your questions is called "argument from ignorance" - (note, I am not saying you are ignorant)

It means "I dont know the answer...... must be God !"

But, I would love to talk more about it - I wont come "loaded for bear" as I sometimes do.  I would rather a civil, intellectual conversation.

I know you are simply asking questions - nothing wrong with that - so maybe this reply is a little harsh - my apologies.

There are people in here who dont want to hear anything but what they were told to believe when they were little.  (this fact is another point I love to bring up)

You are not taking offense, and certainly not being offensive - so if you, or anyone for that matter, would like to venture over to the Religion thread - thats cool.  (It might be inevitable once this thread is closed)

Billy Bat is a little miffed because the things he was told to believe were questioned/challenged.  Completely normal for people who only know what they are told, basically, they dont have a dog in the fight, but love to do some shouting.

Don't people pray to God to for him/her to be in their lives through difficult times rather than to directly intervene and perform a miracle?

Can you apply this logic to ALL decisions? (example: did your god have a plan for Jeffrey Dahmer? Did your god have a plan for his victims?)

Do both if you must, but if only doing one, seek medical help. Prayer only, leads to death/deterioration of yourself, or your children. It's incredibly ignorant, and arrogant to think a celestial being will hand pick you to be saved versus the millions of other humans dying. You're not special, you're the same as the rest of us mortals.

• Like 2

Do both if you must, but if only doing one, seek medical help. Prayer only, leads to death/deterioration of yourself, or your children. It's incredibly ignorant, and arrogant to think a celestial being will hand pick you to be saved versus the millions of other humans dying. You're not special, you're the same as the rest of us mortals.

...but you're special and God has a plan for you.  God has a grand plan by giving you untreatable (insert cancer/disease/etc here) or other painful means of dying.    

Another eye rolling comment by some ... God has a "plan" for "you" ... as you mentioned  "You're not special, you're the same as the rest of us mortals."

...but you're special and God has a plan for you.  God has a grand plan by giving you untreatable (insert cancer/disease/etc here) or other painful means of dying.    

Another eye rolling comment by some ... God has a "plan" for "you" ... as you mentioned  "You're not special, you're the same as the rest of us mortals."

So if I fart really loud and make someone puke.. that was Gods plan?  Your god is one sick twisted individual.  I mean who comes up with ###### like that.

I have always looked at it like this, as I have (actually had) some family members who only pray.

If you truly do believe it is all in God's Hands, then just choose to believe God also put Doctors on planet Earth for a reason as well.

My Aunt just got out of the hospital after a month long visit thanks to a stroke that she had which they were told could have almost definitely been avoided if she even had semi-frequent visits. Instead she had a blood clot in her leg that led to the stroke. She currently does not have any control over an entire side of her body.

My family members now are choosing to go to the doctor over just praying, but it took a near death experience for them to change their mind.

• Like 1

So 5 people actually voted "Pray". This is fascinating  :s

do you realize people might be voting ironically :rolleyes:

i am certain that 6 people who voted pray will not avoid doctors if they need help.

While I'll not be voting in this "poll", I'll tell you my answer.

I'd go to the doctor. And I would not pray.

Not because I don't believe. I know. And I'll not debate that. But I also know that He knows what I need and I have never believed in begging for every little thing.  I have faith that He will intervene when appropriate as He has in the past.

I'm saddened by the arrogance and disbelief in shown by so many these days. You are loved regardless of your belief. Perhaps one day your hearts will be opened.

That's one thing I don't mind asking for.

-Forjo

So if your not a Christian then therefore its hate? Religion gets too much of the special treatment.

How many times does this guy have to show his hand before you all realise that he wanted a specific outcome and this whole poll is a meaningless attempt to generate his own "proof"

Can you apply this logic to ALL decisions? (example: did your god have a plan for Jeffrey Dahmer? Did your god have a plan for his victims?)

If you want me to follow exactly what the bible says, then God has a plan and He loves everyone no matter what and is willing to forgive them. From your point of view, since you don't know God's plan, and you can't see the whole picture it is confusing and sometimes you don't know why something happened.  (I don't know the whole plan either, so yes it is weird for me as well). As shocking as it may seem to you, every person is different and created differently: individually.

If you want me to follow exactly what the bible says, then God has a plan and He loves everyone no matter what and is willing to forgive them. From your point of view, since you don't know God's plan, and you can't see the whole picture it is confusing and sometimes you don't know why something happened.  (I don't know the whole plan either, so yes it is weird for me as well). As shocking as it may seem to you, every person is different and created differently: individually.

Was that a yes or was that a no? Sounds like you said YES that your god planned on having Jeffery Dahmers victims suffer as they did. More odd is some "pray" to this god. What good is praying if the plan is already set? :)

Was that a yes or was that a no? Sounds like you said YES that your god planned on having Jeffery Dahmers victims suffer as they did. More odd is some "pray" to this god. What good is praying if the plan is already set? :)

Well, you could look at it as timelines. In one timeline they don't pray and don't get "help".  Because the Christian God is based on free will from humans it's possible that their choices affect the outcome.  God knows the outcome but they chose it.  The other timeline is they  pray and get help.  Same situation.  God knows the outcome but they chose what to do that affected it.

Also, when people talk about God's influence on earth they ignore that if you believe there's a God influencing then there should also be a Satan influencing choices.