Is Windows 10 faster or more optimized than 8?

Win 7 was faster than Vista. 8 had a of improvements over 7.

I'd expect 10 to be the same but so far MS hadn't released any info about any improvements which leads me to believe there not much that's changed, certainly no major changes like in 8.

Obviously, it is. Newest releases of Windows tend to always have performance gains versus the previous Windows. Windows 10 won't be any different.

is that so? or do newer OS profit from more sophisticated cpu's etc on the market? or from new better drivers?

is that so? or do newer OS profit from more sophisticated cpu's etc on the market? or from new better drivers?

A couple of my secondary systems here have gone from Vista to 7 to 8 and I've noticed better performance and efficiency with each upgrade.. smoother multitasking, better resource usage, etc on the same hardware.  Vista to 7 was a big improvement, 7 to 8 was much smaller, some places a little faster, otherwise on par with 7.  Can't comment on 10 though, keeping that strictly to a VM till it goes goes, but as a guess probably not going to see anything dramatic, barring gains from DX12.  

A couple of my secondary systems here have gone from Vista to 7 to 8 and I've noticed better performance and efficiency with each upgrade.. smoother multitasking, better resource usage, etc on the same hardware.  Vista to 7 was a big improvement, 7 to 8 was much smaller, some places a little faster, otherwise on par with 7.  Can't comment on 10 though, keeping that strictly to a VM till it goes goes, but as a guess probably not going to see anything dramatic, barring gains from DX12.  

yeh vista to windows 7 was extreme.

i believe to remember that in the win95/98/me times the system requirements were notably higher for newer releases

Win 7 was faster than Vista. 8 had a of improvements over 7.

I'd expect 10 to be the same but so far MS hadn't released any info about any improvements which leads me to believe there not much that's changed, certainly no major changes like in 8.

We won't know until RTM and beyond. The current releases have significant overhead since they're primarily for development. Consequently, it's hard to formulate reasonable expectations based on these.

However, it's likely that many improvements will be hardware-dependent. One "major" example of this is the introduction of system file compression, which is basically insignificant for devices that have a lot of local storage, but will have enormous impact for limited-storage devices such as tablets.

• Like 2

Because at this stage for 7/8, MS had released a ton of info about the changes.

8 blog posts were insanely long, I much prefer their posts on new features in Windows 10 although I agree that they were probably frequent during 8's development.

There are also articles on IE and Server blogs.

Security:

Windows 10 Security Innovations at RSA: Device Guard, Windows Hello and Microsoft Passport Making Windows 10 More Personal and More Secure with Windows Hello

Viirtual Desktops: 

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/16/virtual-desktops-in-windows-10-the-power-of-windowsmultiplied/''>Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

It may be but I'd personally still advise against using it on systems with critical data where you need reliability. One because of the spyware that logs the content of your files, and 2 because it's known to be buggy if you run with the new beta DX12 graphics drivers (You can run the W 8.1 drivers but you lose all the performance benefit if you do).

Basically, the reality is the same as it always was: Don't use beta / alpha software on systems you need reliability and stability on, but if you want to try the OS and features, go for it.

Being a Hardcore/ Online/ FPS Gamer I can definitely see Windows 10 being better over Windows 7 AND 8.

For some reason performance has been dramatically increased in Windows 10. And I have been using Windows 10 as my Main OS since it was first released. And I have never experienced any problems.

Being a Hardcore/ Online/ FPS Gamer I can definitely see Windows 10 being better over Windows 7 AND 8.

For some reason performance has been dramatically increased in Windows 10. And I have been using Windows 10 as my Main OS since it was first released. And I have never experienced any problems.

The only reason it isn't my main OS is due to my daily game not working when run in it; however, it IS my daily driver.  It's my daily driver for one reason - where the same software works on both 8.1 and 10, 10 wins with ease.  Application, games, what-have-you.  When the issue with that one game gets solved, 8.1 gets booted to the bench (the VM-only bench, that is - alongside 7 and other older desktop versions of Windows).

Its my daily driver. I had to get off fast ring because while trying to update to 10051, the update process kept failing right at the end after taking hours to download, do the install etc. After a few days of constant reboots and being unable to use my of I had to turn it off. I now wait for ISO.

8 blog posts were insanely long, I much prefer their posts on new features in Windows 10 although I agree that they were probably frequent during 8's development.

Yes, the posts were long, but it is nice to have details about a feature(s) and its design process, scenarios, data pertaining to telemetry and operating system improvements, videos, et cetera. This post titled Designing search for the Start screen is a good example of this.

The posts for Windows 10, such as this one about a unified Windows Store, are woefully short on details. I consider them to be more like advertisements because they do not shed light on the feature design process, nor do they discuss scenarios or share intricate details about the improvements introduced with the technology. Contrast this with the article about simplifying printing in Windows 8, which goes as far as to discuss technical aspects about the new printing architecture.

• 3 weeks later...

exactly how? numbers? benchmarks?

exactly how? numbers? benchmarks?

well even if a game is not designed for  Directx 12    DX12 with in the latest builds of  10 since it been  in since 9926  has been able to increase  processor threading efficacy as  it was  designed to do so.  better spreading out Work loads  and  not having a single core  with less or more workload  how eever that does work  but that is  once area where you can see performance feels better out of the box because of that be it games or other operationgs task that use many threads or cores    

Once it hits RTM we'll know for sure but it's unlikely to not be. It already runs well with all that bloat and excess debug code in there hanging around slugging everything up.

I have questions related to the Windows 10 Store. It is my understanding that you must go there for Universal Apps but will also be able to get traditional "applications" there.

My question is, will we be able to buy Universal apps elsewhere? Under the "old way", you could go to Microsoft's site or Amazon.com, or CDW, or a lot of places to buy software. Does this mean that there is a single source of distribution?