Nero and Cd/DVD detecting cd's...

sigh, on my last install of XP, i had nero, clonecd, easy cd creator, fireburner, and cdr-win all running flawlessly together. when i inserted a cd, my cursor would show a little cd image next to it, and my drive would automatically update the icon and name of the disc.

now i've reformatted, and with nero installed, my drives won't detect when i insert/remove any cd's. after trying a bunch of things, i just decided to uninstall it. after uninstalling and reinstalling my cd/dvd drives, i got it to update just the name of the cd, but i have to press f5 for it to happen. also, my cursor doesn't change anymore when i'm inserting a drive. this is ok i guess, but just knowing that it used to work fine bothers me. i didn't change anything, i didn't do anything different, why on earth would it behave differently? :right: :ponder: :(

apparently a lot of people have this problem, i wonder why ahead/ms can't get this figured out. oh well.

cheers,

joe

Had a similar problem, and though I can't see how it happened, autorun became disabled somehow (even though it was checked as being enabled in TweakUI XP)

The way I fixed it was to run regedit, navigate to hklm/system/currentcontrolset/services/cdrom

Make sure the Autorun key has a value of 1 instead of 0

Hope this helps.

John

oh my fking god! dude, i just wanna thank you so much. i don't know how to, i owe you dinner or something. :p unreal, you don't understand how much i've been looking for a solution to this. hours and hours of reading and research. and i'm far from a newbie too. the crazy thing is, there are a lot of people that i found have this problem. everyone is blaming nero or easy cd creator. and i guess they are right, cuz i know it worked fine until i installed one of them, but you don't have to uninstall them like everyone is saying! just change that one freakin number. lol. (i'm not talking about the error code 39 or 19, that's a different issue, just in case anyone was wondering) wow, i'm like so shocked, too good to be true. thanks again man, i really appreciate it.

ciao! cheers! yippy!

joe :D :D

hey staind, that's what i installed. but it might not have been that, it could've been 5.02d of ezcd. i never figured out which one caused the problem, i just know it happened after i installed them.

ciao!

joe