Photo

50 replies to this topic

#1 DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,279 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:02

I'm a 29 year old guy that's never had a girlfriend, mainly because I'm shy and never really get out much. Over the past year, I've been trying to get involved in activities so I can get out, meet new people and hopefully, connect with some girls. But no matter watch activity I get involved in, it's pretty much all men. I tried to join a shy group, a guitar group, a Frisbee group, a hiking group, and a group where people travel to museums and do other fun activities. ALL these groups are 90% men and 10% women. And most of the time, the women are significantly older (i.e. age 50+) and not my age.

I can't understand why I can't find an activity where I can meet girls my age. What kind of fun activity can I get involved in that's gender balanced where there are at least 50% girls (especially young girls)?

#2 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 8,273 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:15

Dancing? Something more classical, like ballroom or even the Tango.

#3 Gabe84

Gabe84

Neowinian

• 195 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:16

Try dancing, especially modern dances - like hip hop, r'n'b, stuff like that - or latin dances, or you can try charities and volunteering.

If your main goal is to get a girl try to choose something you like or you think you can like, it would suck to find a girl who's your opposite, keep in mind also that people take their activities seriously so they put a lot of effort and time into them, and you will be required to commit to that activity, it would be hard to commit to something you don't like.

EG: If you listen to death metal I wouldn't suggest taking up Merengue, same if you're an atheist don't go volunteering for religious organizations.

Once you've chosen your activity look them up on Google, Facebook and Twitter to see what kind of people take part in those activities.

On the bright side, you might not find a girl but you may find something new that you didn't know you liked.

Also, it's 2015, have you tried dating sites? They might be helpful since you're shy, or you can try being more active on Facebook, you know, commenting people's statuses/pics/links, posting stuff, talking in Facebook groups or pages, for example in Italy there are facebook groups for every town where people post and talk about their town, their town's problems, activities, you may try joining similar groups and being active, as long as those groups are "local" (like "Metalheads of town" or "town book club", or "problems of town") stuff like that, social media could really make it easier for you.

I'd also say book clubs, but I guess you can find people older than you there.

#4 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 4,315 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:18

Rock Climbing? like an indoor climbing centre, again I suspect more male heavy but the few times I've been to a centre near me there are definitely a mixed group there.

#5 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,735 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:25

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're looking to meet a girl? If that's the case, have you considered online dating?

#6 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,279 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:31

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're looking to meet a girl? If that's the case, have you considered online dating?

Well, yes, and also want to meet people and make friends with BOTH genders.

#7 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 35,023 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:32

(especially young girls)

How young is "especially young"?

Aren't you the guy who was all judgmental over a girl because you mother put you off her?

#8 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,279 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:37

Also, it's 2015, have you tried dating sites? They might be helpful since you're shy, or you can try being more active on Facebook, you know, commenting people's statuses/pics/links, posting stuff, talking in Facebook groups or pages, for example in Italy there are facebook groups for every town where people post and talk about their town, their town's problems, activities, you may try joining similar groups and being active, as long as those groups are "local" (like "Metalheads of town" or "town book club", or "problems of town") stuff like that, social media could really make it easier for you.

I'd also say book clubs, but I guess you can find people older than you there.

I've tried speed dating a couple of time and it was all older women (i.e. Over 40).

#9 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,735 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:38

Well, yes, and also want to meet people and make friends with BOTH genders.

Well try online dating for the the girls :p and everything else...do as others have suggested and look at club/groups local to you. :)

#10 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,279 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:38

How young is "especially young"?

Aren't you the guy who was all judgmental over a girl because you mother put you off her?

Well I'm 29. So I would prefer not to date a women in their late 30s and up.

#11 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Neowinian Senior

• 4,277 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:39

OkCupid.. You can meet friends and dates.. Pretty solid site IMO..

#12 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,735 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:40

I've tried speed dating a couple of time and it was all older women (i.e. Over 40).

Most of the speed dating events that I know of usually have age limits. Not sure where you're from but it may be worth looking at speed dating events in a larger city near to you

#13 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 12,219 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 130 Cardboard Edition

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:42

Just meet girls on Neowin. Make sure you know what kind of mobile device they are using... you don't want an app gap between the two of you.

#14 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,604 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3110

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:45

Join a netball team, not really gender balanced as it's mostly women but I think that's what your after anyway.

#15 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,453 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 13:11

Look into leagues for archery or trap shooting.  Both of those have no gender advantage.

That's probably the only hobby my gf and I competitive with each other in.

Or if you're into fitness, look into running clubs that do charity 5K events and such.

Plenty of women and you'll be doing something healthy.  Win win.