deepin 2014.3 released

en-3.png

deepin is committed to providing an elegant, user-friendly, safe and stable Linux system for users all over the world. deepin system uses Deepin Desktop Environment developed based on HTML5 technology, with Deepin Music, Deepin Movie, WPS, Sogou input method and other applications in it. It can meet users

oh good, let's see if this version finally works in vbox.

ooohhh that looks nice

may have to give this a try

although this line on the website bothers me "deepin is free for personal users without any viruses or Trojans."

Looks nice but the ISO isnt bootable, you have to extract it and use an app to create a physical USB boot pen!!!

i can't confirm that. just downloaded it and booted in virtualbox.

installation went fast. i see it is very usefull for beginners to have such an introduction after first boot, but i could not escape it!

the grouped-shelves are very nice, first time seen this, the control-center as well. not liking the default apps, i could not freely scale the music player :/

all in all most likely a distro for beginners and here it does very well.

Mm.. My work blocks it, filters it as a Virus/Trojan filter.

Not sure how I feel about it, looks nice but I find Ubuntu to be easy to work with. But I learned Linux on Ubuntu.

The last version I tried (the one before this) was nice, but the performance was really poor. Also, the English translation was missing in many parts of the os.

Ok, so I downloaded this version to give it another chance. I installed it in dual-boot with elementary and the installation went smooth, no problems here. This OS is beautiful indeed, starting with the setup, the boot logo and ending with the GUI. Unfortunately, that's all the + I got from this. Again.

Painfully slow and laggy UI - on a dual-core notebook with 3GB of RAM, it made me wanna shoot myself.

very few customization options (or at least I couldn't find them) - for example I couldn't find a way to disable the damn "hot" corners;

click & drag doesn't work, no idea why, because normal clicking and double clicking work fine;

apt-get update took 10 minutes (LOL!), maybe because it uses Chinese servers, but I have no idea how to switch to some closer mirrors (if there are any);

the "universal" skin (very nice to be honest) doesn't apply to all integrated apps - for example Pidgin has the normal Ubuntu theme and you can imagine how weird this looks next to the beautiful UI of Deepin;

there's no "auto location" for the clock - I had to manually set the time, since it had the London time-zone and no option to search for my location automatically. In comparison, elementary and other distros do this right from the setup.

This is what I found in about an hour of testing and I'm sure there's more. I'm sorry to say, but this OS is a mess, it really doesn't matter how pretty it is (and it is). Seems to me that this is the OS you show to your friends and brag about how cool it is, but that's it.

http://www.deepin.org/mirror.html?language=en

The using method of mirrors:

Open the "Preferences-Mirror" page of Deepin Store, then automatically switch to the best mirror by clicking "Select the best mirror".

It didn't have ANY preferences page. The only clickable things on that window, besides the window up-right buttons, were Upgrade, Installation, Uninstall and Join on the lower right. That's it.

That was my experience as well.  Very slow to fetch the list of updates, and updating was likewise very slow. Their servers must be quite busy today.

The UI is very nice, though. 

That was my experience as well.  Very slow to fetch the list of updates, and updating was likewise very slow. Their servers must be quite busy today.

The UI is very nice, though. 

Did you manage to find a way to disable, or change, the damn hot corners? Wherever I go with the mouse, something happens, I really hate that.

I didn't even bother with them. I got frustrated with trying to change the repo mirrors, so I just deleted the VM.

I didn't even bother with them. I got frustrated with trying to change the repo mirrors, so I just deleted the VM.

Yeah, I know the feeling... I really had high hopes for this OS since 2014.2, when I first find out about it, but I'm still so dissapointed... Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention: what Linux distro doesn't offer a Live CD these days?!?!?!?!?

Exactly. These guys are doing a few unusual things. I'm glad they are thinking outside the box, but too far outside the box isn't a good thing sometimes.

I like DDE though. It's a great idea, and a fresh approach. Make sure to submit feature requests for things you want to see -- you'd be surprised at how receptive Open-Source Developers are to their users.